Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I love how football fans get this romantic vision of footballers that aren’t playing.

Gus Poyet got pelters on here for not playing the new Messi Solly March, and now he’s not good enough blah blah blah

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Why? Duffy was brought in expressly because Goldson (and Dunk) were bullied and lost a aerial battle v Burnley., which highlighted a weakness is our team / squad. Everyone is fawning over Goldson like he's the best central defender ever, but overall Duffy IS better. Goldson will play, but he will need to wait his chance. We were fortunate with injuries this season just completed. but that won't necessarily last.

Yes, and we were also bullied on the ground in some games. So, horses for courses, depending on who we play. Getting a decent replacement for Uwe will be hard enough; if we had to get two centre backs that would put a big hole in our budget for the other positions needed. I'm not fawning over him, just my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder ,what figure,would reach our valuation....?

I don't for one minute imagine it'll be even close to Connor's actual value.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Guaranteed football, 50k thousand fans, playing time, European tonkings, playing for two legends of the team he supports.....
Believe it or not, but that’s not easy to say no too. If he wants to go ok, but who wants an unhappy player at the club?
I also think that bearing in mind all that he has been through he probably deserves a break in his career, but in the end it’s up to him.

Fixed for you. Also two of those things you list are one and the same and hmm.. I wonder who he's going to learn more off, Chris Hughton in the PL or a fresh into management Stevey G in the SP :facepalm:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder who he's going to learn more off, Chris Hughton in the PL or a fresh into management Stevey G in the SP :facepalm:
But at some point he's got to put all he's learned into practice.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Goldson played the home game against Watford, and in all the cup games this season. Besides, £1.2M is an insult, especially when they haven't paid for Jamie Murphy yet.
I'm struggling to value him. Is asking for anything over £2 million too greedy ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm struggling to value him. Is asking for anything over £2 million too greedy ?

Absolutely not. I'd be very surprised if they were prepared to even talk, until the figures are in excess of £5m.

They have to consider his worth to the squad, and the cost of securing a suitable replacement. £2m would be ridiculously low, in both evaluations.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If Rangers want a CB could we not offer them a loan of the young lad we bought from Scotland who has played in their Premier League, can't remember his name was it Hall?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If Rangers want a CB could we not offer them a loan of the young lad we bought from Scotland who has played in their Premier League, can't remember his name was it Hall?

Ben Hall. We just extended his contract, to next summer.

The other option is that they could find a centre-back that isn't contracted to Brighton :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Goldson - Rangers

#45 Ben White (edit...sorry you meant Ben Hall......was at Motherwell ?)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Absolutely not. I'd be very surprised if they were prepared to even talk, until the figures are in excess of £5m.

They have to consider his worth to the squad, and the cost of securing a suitable replacement. £2m would be ridiculously low, in both evaluations.

Think you are being a bit excessive with that valuation. He has hardly played in the last 12 months and had a career threatening injury. It still might put clubs off with what he has had done. We paid 4 million roughly for Duffy who is better player.

Last edited:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Guaranteed football, 50k thousand fans, playing time, European football, playing for two legends of the team he supports.....
Believe it or not, but that’s not easy to say no too. If he wants to go ok, but who wants an unhappy player at the club?
I also think that bearing in mind all that he has been through he probably deserves a break in his career, but in the end it’s up to him.

And playing 50% of matches in League One level stadia in front of a few thousand fans. I've often wondered about the Rangers fan experience of seeing your team scoring against a Ross County or a Hamilton - How could you even be bothered to cheer it? I'd probably be the only Rangers fan rooting for the underdog opposition in some matches, hoping they score or even win the game, it's all just too strange to contemplate.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Never mind Rangers, Celtic could do with a good centre back especially after the pumpings in Europe the last few years. They will be able to pay the going rate as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Think you are being a bit excessive with that valuation. He has hardly played in the last 12 months and had a career threatening injury. It still might put clubs off with what he has had one. We paid 4 million roughly for Duffy who is better player.

I don't.

A player's 'value' isn't like the book value of a second hand car. The factors include their age / experience, and critically their length of remaining contract at their club, and the financial situation of that club.

Blackburn were happy to accept £3m or so for Duffy, because he had a year left, wanted to leave, and that was a big sum for a team about to drop to League One. £3m for a similar player, on a long contract, to a Premier League club (who'd need to spend twice that to replace him) isn't nearly enough to open discussions.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well of course that would be good for Hall, but if Rangers bid for one of our players we don't just offer them a youth player instead.

Imagine if we bid for Delaney and Bremen said "No - but you can have Hans from the U21s". [emoji38]ol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here