Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It does. Maybe Rangers should try to sign him.

I'd love to be there to see his answer.

Funnily enough, the same Scottish Sun web page that reports the interest in Goldson, also reports a bunch of Rangers fans giving abuse online to one of their own players, who's been pictured attending a Catholic church. His name is O'Halloran, therefore it seems a tad surprising that his possible Catholicism could have come as some kind of shock to these morons.

Imagine abusing one of your own players because he believes in the same God as you, let alone any other God(s) :rolleyes:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Funnily enough, the same Scottish Sun web page that reports the interest in Goldson, also reports a bunch of Rangers fans giving abuse online to one of their own players, who's been pictured attending a Catholic church. His name is O'Halloran, therefore it seems a tad surprising that his possible Catholicism could have come as some kind of shock to these morons.

Imagine abusing one of your own players because he believes in the same God as you, let alone any other God(s) :rolleyes:

I will never, ever understand Protestant / Catholic sectarianism as long as I live. I understand, obviously, the Republican / Unionist issues, but the actual religious aspect - I just don't get it at all.

It's like me falling out with somebody else who loves mature cheddar cheese, over which supermarket they prefer to buy it in :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haven’t read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned. I seem to recall somebody with inside knowledge posting that we signed Duffy because CH decided we needed another central defender who could challenge big forwards after the Burnley game three seasons ago when they bullied our defence and got an equaliser. Not convinced we will try and keep Goldson personally. Even when Duffy went through a rough spell earlier this season CH stuck with him when many on here were calling for Goldson to get a few games.

This could of course be a really shit conspiracy theory :smile:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Home Grown Player numbers don't look too good for next season if we ship out Goldson.
Having said that, we could name a 24 man squad ( with just 7 HGPs ) and use Ben White as 4th choice central defender ( as he is U21 ).

I'm more and more thinking that both the 2nd choice and 3rd choice keepers will have to be Home Grown Players.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That was done with little preparation as in game time but if CH adopted that formation they would work on it from day 1 on returning back to training. My thought on England is that if we played that system and it was successful I am sure that many manager will copy it as happened after we won the World Cup in 66 as nobody had ever considered attacking fullbacks until then.
Premier League managers picking up tips from Southgate? Completely hatstand.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Premier League managers picking up tips from Southgate? Completely hatstand.

Many clubs follow the example of a World Cup winning side in their playing style. Pre 1966 all teams played with 2 full nacks 3 in midfield and 5 forwards immediately after our WC win other formations came into being and the most recent example is of how many teams tried to follow Spains example.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I will never, ever understand Protestant / Catholic sectarianism as long as I live. I understand, obviously, the Republican / Unionist issues, but the actual religious aspect - I just don't get it at all.

It's like me falling out with somebody else who loves mature cheddar cheese, over which supermarket they prefer to buy it in :shrug:

Well having spent my first 33 years in Scotland I can tell you where any sectarian issues lie.

There are three Categories of school in Scotland ( or there were when I left 40 years ago ) and these are

Private , State Schools and Roman Catholic Schools !

This scenario is not especially conducive to harmony between religious persuasians as each group tended to view each other with a degree of suspicion and were, I suppose, not unaffected by the North / South issue in the Island to the west of the mainland.

Sad but there it was / is !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gerrard can f*ck right off. Having lost Hunemeier it would be stupid to sell Goldson and as regards talk of "he needs games" there are more Prem defender who don't play than do play.

Given the physicality of the way in which Dunk and Duffy throw themselves about it is only a matter of time before one - or both - get injured. Goldson will get his chance.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Goldson needs games under his belt, I'd think about a loan deal for him. He did look a bit shaky at Anfield (didn't they all).

I think that potentially CG is a top Centre Back and it must be so frustrating for him that he is not very much getting a kick but, Shane Duffy was brought in when CG had his health scare and the rest is recent history !

Who knows what may happen this transfer window but this guy could be hugely important to the Albion in the near future ( LD could move on with a move which for him or the Albion could be impossible to refuse ).

That, for me, makes him one seriously important topic but, for now, the script is unfinished until, what is it, 9th August 2018.

Great guy and I wish him everything in football !

Having said all that I would far rather see him depart on a loan move than a transfer and Rangers would be a decent move with some 'grief' rather than a complete season of 'walk in the park' which may be right for him for now and especially as Stevie G may make things a bit more interesting in that neck of the woods !

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Gerrard can f*ck right off. Having lost Hunemeier it would be stupid to sell Goldson and as regards talk of "he needs games" there are more Prem defender who don't play than do play.

Given the physicality of the way in which Dunk and Duffy throw themselves about it is only a matter of time before one - or both - get injured. Goldson will get his chance.

Maybe Goldson has ambition ? I’d not begrudge him going as Hughton knows what his first 2 choices are, and we definitely need to look at improving the squad, not more squad players

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Maybe Goldson has ambition ? I’d not begrudge him going as Hughton knows what his first 2 choices are, and we definitely need to look at improving the squad, not more squad players

Where is the ambition going to the MTL? He’d be better off in the championship.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think that potentially CG is a top Centre Back and it must be so frustrating for him that he is not very much getting a kick but, Shane Duffy was brought in when CG had his health scare and the rest is recent history !

Think you’ve rewritten history here. We bought Duffy in the summer 2016 window.
Goldson found with his condition Jan 2017

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Having said that, we could name a 24 man squad ( with just 7 HGPs ) and use Ben White as 4th choice central defender ( as he is U21 ).

I'm more and more thinking that both the 2nd choice and 3rd choice keepers will have to be Home Grown Players.

Luckily Tim Krul counts as an HGP.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

In the Prem you need 4 CBs, 4 CMs and 4 strikers. Anything less than that and you are in the lap of the Gods when it comes to injuries. Indeed, if Goldson goes and we're down to 2 CBs then Dunk's agent would have us over a barrel.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In the Prem you need 4 CBs, 4 CMs and 4 strikers. Anything less than that and you are in the lap of the Gods when it comes to injuries. Indeed, if Goldson goes and we're down to 2 CBs then Dunk's agent would have us over a barrel.

Don’t disagree, but doesn’t mean we won’t have a plan like we did in the summer - just a shame it didn’t go through

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Goldson will do well under these two.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Where is the ambition going to the MTL? He’d be better off in the championship.

Championship? He’d be better off going to League 2. Celtic are about the only Chanpionship standard team in that joke of a league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here