Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goldson - Rangers [CONFIRMED]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What? Amortization is just a straight line accounting method, it has absolutely nothing to do with how the installments are paid.

I think 3.5-5m is about the right price. Or £2.5m with a 50% sell on fee.

What I mean is, the fee for the player would NOT be registered on the books (in Locadia's example) as a £14m transfer fee being paid out in one hit, all in one financial year. The cost of Locadia will be registered as £3.5m each year, plus his remuneration, recorded as player amortisation.

I'm just drawing attention to the fact that there is often an assumption that when a player moves for £50m (or whatever), that the entire fee is paid up front. Sometimes it is, but more often it is paid in annual instalments. So its nothing unusual for Rangers to be paying for Murphy on tick, its fairly standard.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed. I personally wonder where some posters £8m plus valuations come from. Goldson, much as l like him, is a central defender with hardly any Premier League experience.
Didn't we turn down £5m from Fulham for Dunk a few years ago? Goldson is as good as Dunk was then.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If defenders from the Championship are commanding fees of 5-6 million or more, why would we take 3 million for Goldson.. I think he is worth 5 million of anyone's money

We turned down £5M for Dunk, from Fulham, two years ago. No premier league experience.
Goldson has now got experience, albeit it one game.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He is an exceptional defender who has been almost flawless every time he has played for us. He would comfortably fit into our side alongside either Dunk or Duffy and many have expressed a desire to see him dislodge Duffy at times during the season. A replacement would cost us £15m+ and selling would be a poor decision.

He wants to play football and Rangers want a decent centreback. If he doesn't force his way in to contention during pre-season then send him out on loan

If Goldson goes then we have to be very careful with regards to making sure we can hit the required 8 homegrown players requirement. With Sidwell and Rosenior both off this summer we already probably need both Walton to be included and Goldson (who was part of the number last year). Can't help but think that this requirement may be impactful to Goldson, Walton and Baldock when perhaps in the past they would have been allowed to expand their game elsewhere for the season, or sold.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
A loan there could be just what he needs. How do recall clauses work now though? Didn't they change a year or so ago to be only in windows if on a long term loan (more than one month).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A loan there could be just what he needs. How do recall clauses work now though? Didn't they change a year or so ago to be only in windows if on a long term loan (more than one month).

Yep. If you take a loan player in the summer window, its either on a season-long loan, or until the January transfer window. There's no recall inbetween.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If Goldson goes then we have to be very careful with regards to making sure we can hit the required 8 homegrown players requirement. With Sidwell and Rosenior both off this summer we already probably need both Walton to be included and Goldson (who was part of the number last year). Can't help but think that this requirement may be impactful to Goldson, Walton and Baldock when perhaps in the past they would have been allowed to expand their game elsewhere for the season, or sold.

Very good point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
We turned down £5M for Dunk, from Fulham, two years ago. No premier league experience.
Goldson has now got experience, albeit it one game.

Dunk was playing regularly at the time though.

Whether Goldson is as good as Dunk was then is entirely subjective. Remember, there's no higher rated player as one who isn't playing - see Baldock, Sam and Hoskins, Will.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Whether Goldson is as good as Dunk was then is entirely subjective. Remember, there's no higher rated player as one who isn't playing - see Baldock, Sam and Hoskins, Will.

I think Goldson could be and if we/Dunk get an offer too good to refuse I'd be happy to see Conor take Dunk's place in the side. He is good with the ball at his feet and has good positional sense. We are still playing for 17th next season, I reckon he'd pick it up quick enough. Even if we did let CG go he could do better than Rangers.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It was Championship football, not Premier League.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm a bit surprised we are trying to keep Maaenpa for this reason. I'd have thought the easiest way to start bulking up your HGPs is by snapping up an old, past it English goalkeeper who will be quite happy to see out his career as our third choice with no prospect of playing in exchange for another year of wages. Everyone's a winner. For us, it's a HGP who is relatively cheap and comes with no expectation of playing. For the player, it's another year of money in the PL with no playing ambitions left to fulfil.

We could always ask Stockdale to come back. :lol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah but Thunder Bolt meant as third choice, not starting. (Not an entirely mad idea).

He was a bit of a porker at times when he was 1st choice here. I think he'd proper pull the ripcord if he was 3rd.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
I'm a bit surprised we are trying to keep Maaenpa for this reason. I'd have thought the easiest way to start bulking up your HGPs is by snapping up an old, past it English goalkeeper who will be quite happy to see out his career as our third choice with no prospect of playing in exchange for another year of wages. Everyone's a winner. For us, it's a HGP who is relatively cheap and comes with no expectation of playing. For the player, it's another year of money in the PL with no playing ambitions left to fulfil.

A surprisingly informed post from someone on this hive of idiocy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here