[Football] Statement from Ringmer FC

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I know. Clubs all the way down the pyramid spend money they haven't got in order to achieve positions they can't maintain. Normally this is driven by fan pressure. Fans always want the chairman to 'get his chequebook out' so that the club can be competitive and 'move to the next level'. Just going to watch football and taking the rough with the smooth isn't enough any more, there must always be progress, next season must always be better than the last.

At League level there are enough fans to make an ugly mass, but that can't apply when it's one man and a dog. Fair play to Ringmer for saying "Do you know what? We're not playing that game any more." If more grassroots clubs would do it they could start a snowball effect.

I've played against Ringmer twice a season for the last 3 or 4 years, and they have always paid their players to my knowledge. I don't know exactly how much, but have heard of players being on between £30 and £50 a game. In fact when we played them this season their young CM bragged to me and a team mate that he was 'on more money than you both', we replied that was hardly surprising since we weren't paid at all!

I'd say in County Division 1 (the old division two now the top division is the Premier League) there are probably 6 or 7 clubs paying their players, with the rest being completely amateur. The idea you 'have' to pay players at that level is simply not true, and so my sympathy wanes a little when I hear stories such as this, although I don't know the ins and outs of the rest of their financial situation.

What I would say is that Mile Oak, who I play for, manage to sustain themselves through sponsorship, a 100 Club and numerous fundraising events throughout the year, all without the help of a social club to bring in Bar revenue which Ringmer do have. It's sad that Ringmer have had to withdraw from the league given that is the case, but suggests to me that with better financial prudence and management that should not be necessary.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I've played against Ringmer twice a season for the last 3 or 4 years, and they have always paid their players to my knowledge. I don't know exactly how much, but have heard of players being on between £30 and £50 a game. In fact when we played them this season their young CM bragged to me and a team mate that he was 'on more money than you both', we replied that was hardly surprising since we weren't paid at all!

I'd say in County Division 1 (the old division two now the top division is the Premier League) there are probably 6 or 7 clubs paying their players, with the rest being completely amateur. The idea you 'have' to pay players at that level is simply not true, and so my sympathy wanes a little when I hear stories such as this, although I don't know the ins and outs of the rest of their financial situation.

What I would say is that Mile Oak, who I play for, manage to sustain themselves through sponsorship, a 100 Club and numerous fundraising events throughout the year, all without the help of a social club to bring in Bar revenue which Ringmer do have. It's sad that Ringmer have had to withdraw from the league given that is the case, but suggests to me that with better financial prudence and management that should not be necessary.

I remember running the line at Ringmer many moons ago, when Glenn Geard was the manager, he had a posse of players that moved around with him to whoever was paying the most for their services.

I'm sure county league fans would rather watch a group of local lads that have progressed through youth teams rather than a bunch of county league mercenaries moving around clubs? It all falls apart in the end anyway when the money dries up.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I remember running the line at Ringmer many moons ago, when Glenn Geard was the manager, he had a posse of players that moved around with him to whoever was paying the most for their services.

I'm sure county league fans would rather watch a group of local lads that have progressed through youth teams rather than a bunch of county league mercenaries moving around clubs? It all falls apart in the end anyway when the money dries up.

That certainly still happens a lot these days with the same players following the same manager around etc. I can't really comment how the fans feel about it- I imagine a lot are happy to ride the success whilst it lasts, before realising it's not a sustainable business model further down the line.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
And won the competition in the mid 70s beating Eastbourne Utd (or was it Town?). Still got the programme in the loft somewhere!

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Pat Francis was your pe teacher then . Was a scout under Harry Redknapp now does match reports for us . Great gentleman and in Ringmers defeat the goalscorer Ray Crawford scored a hat trick. Later was youth team coach at the Albion.
Anyhow Ringmers new ground will be ready for next season what league they'll play in i dont know . But theCaburn comes down on March 31st 2020. Good luck.you ringers

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Pat Francis was your pe teacher then . Was a scout under Harry Redknapp now does match reports for us . Great gentleman and in Ringmers defeat the goalscorer Ray Crawford scored a hat trick. Later was youth team coach at the Albion.
Anyhow Ringmers new ground will be ready for next season what league they'll play in i dont know . But theCaburn comes down on March 31st 2020. Good luck.you ringers

Where is the new ground situated?
It's a shame that The Caburn Field is going, it was a lovely little ground with a great clubhouse.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can't remember his name back in the late 70s our P.E student ( on teaching practice ) played for Ringmer in the FACup blond lad got me the slipper for taking the piss after taking a short cut back to school from the sports field. Well done Ringmer it will be better in the long run.

Ringmer FC, Ringmer Rovers, AFC Ringmer - just how many teams does Ringmer need?

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I would think the more the merrier tbh as its a 3g pitch going in and can be used all day and night a good revenue stream and a new club house . Situated behind the kings ( put the kids in isolation all the time) Academy.

Last edited:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Also got to be better than Lewes 3g where its a nightmare to park and a fair traipse from there clubhouse and at Ringmer there be changing rooms and can grab a drink at the club . My kids would of gone to Ringmer School if it wasnt for the way they treat the kids but then academy's aren't really answerable to anyone but thats going of topic.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here