Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] BBC2 Simon Mayo Show

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don't mind Jo Whiley but I don't think she does well on this slot. I listen to R2 a fair bit in the mornings and think they do quite well when they get cover in for the hols except when they replace OAP, Scotch, Ken Bruce with hip, urban DJ Trevor Nelson who is frankly an awful DJ, stuttering and whispering his way through Popmaster.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Only listened to it when driving on Fridays, but enjoyed it.

Jo Whiley tries to sound too cool for my liking.

Amazes me she's on there. Radio 2 will never be a 'cool' radio station, and her and R2 seem like odd bedfellows, but I guess she falls between the cracks, not deemed cool enough for Radio 6 (although how Craig Charles ever got his R6 gig I'll never understand)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The BBC employing women, disgraceful! Next thing you will be telling me they are paying them as well.

Of course they are paying them. Just not as much as men doing the same job. Well, not until they get found out, obviously.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I'm not keen on the changes to the show, (always liked Simon Mayo's Drivetime programme and I'm disappointed they've binned it) but she has a name, Jo Whiley, and has been a stalwart of BBC radio for a long time. To refer to her vaguely as "a female disk jockey" seems more than a little condescending to me.

Absolutely. He should have said, “a completely shit female dj”...

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I'm not keen on the changes to the show, (always liked Simon Mayo's Drivetime programme and I'm disappointed they've binned it) but she has a name, Jo Whiley, and has been a stalwart of BBC radio for a long time. To refer to her vaguely as "a female disk jockey" seems more than a little condescending to me.

When i was told that a new person was being injected into the program i thought that Joe Whiley was a member of Simons team it was a couple of days later when i was informed that Jo was in fact not a member of the team, if Lisa Tarbuck became a team member then no problem for me

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh dear. A serious thread about the demise of the best show on R2 and it's been hijacked by all sorts of diversions. It was a great show ruined in the name of political correctness to meet the latest targets to put more women on the air. No doubt the controller who did it will be praised for his bravery rather than disciplined for rank stupidity while the ratings plummet.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
To be fair to her, Jo Whilley is the best female dj on radio 2 but, theres not a huge amount of competition.
Zoe Ball,and Sara Cox, are both very average, and I can't even listen to Lisa Tarbucks trailers ,she annoys me so much, she's even worse than Jeremy bloody Vine. ( And not as funny as her Dad, who's about as funny as toothache himself)

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Didn't Billy Idol go to Durrington High? Or am I confused....

There was a Durrington Tech not a High School. Worthing High School though was in Durrington, by the station at least it was when I went there. Apparently same time as Simon Mayo but I was in a different class to Jutes, Vikings. Hope that clears it up. Don't remember Billy Idol either.
Jutes had a very good 5 a side football team with the year's best footballer 'Chalky' White, Vikings had a good rivalry with them. Enjoyed playing them.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
To be fair to her, Jo Whilley is the best female dj on radio 2 but, theres not a huge amount of competition.
Zoe Ball,and Sara Cox, are both very average, and I can't even listen to Lisa Tarbucks trailers ,she annoys me so much, she's even worse than Jeremy bloody Vine. ( And not as funny as her Dad, who's about as funny as toothache himself)

Jo Whiley is brilliant at what she does.
An actual dj that knows about the music she plays, and is cool in a way that doesn't detract from herself.
There's too many so called djs, that rely so much on their egos.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here