Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England 2018 World Cup Squad - No Hart, no Wilshere...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Austria didn’t qualify?

I personally thought David Alaba would have been picked over Rose.

Unfair response. Barnes has played one (non-competitive) U21 match for Austria, in the distant past, and whilst they have apparently been in contact with him recently, he does still remain eligible for England.

I'd love it if he were called up. Some on here would be beside themselves. He's better than Welbeck, too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There will be differences of opinion on pretty much every selection, bar Harry Kane, but seriously, can ANYONE suggest a SINGLE REASON why Danny Wellbeck should be included in that squad? :shrug:

He's bang average, certainly. But luckily, he's unlikely to play in any of England's 3 or 4 tournament games and off the top of my head, the only 4th choice striker alternative was Glenn Murray!

Edit, ah Ashley Barnes. Fair enough, I'd have preferred him too!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's bang average, certainly. But luckily, he's unlikely to play in any of England's 3 or 4 tournament games and off the top of my head, the only 4th choice striker alternative was Glenn Murray!

Murray, Carroll, Wilson, DCL, Walcott, Barnes.

And if you think none of those are worth taking, then don't take any. Welbeck isn't good enough. Zero point taking a player you have no intention of playing. Take three strikers if only three are good enough, and take Lallana.

If it came to it, it isn't as though Lallana, Alli or Sterling can't play off the main striker, anyway.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
He's scored once since March 2015. Against Malta.

it's not MUCH of a knack.

That's not a particularly relevant statistic, given he's only played four times in that period. You make it sound like he's had a long spell where he's been unable to score.

How has the rest of your list performed?

Crouch has scored ZERO goals for England since 2010.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sorry mate - but you are kidding right?

I don't know why this is so hard for people to even consider..... nine of them have already won the premier league, two more were regulars in the team that came second this year, two more are off to the champions league final, and then add Kane and Alli to the mix...

no, not kidding, there's some exceptionally talented footballers there. Give them a good manager and get them playing together week in, week out, in a formation that works for them and they practise week in week out, yes they'd challenge for the premier league, its a no brainer

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

And if you think none of those are worth taking, then don't take any. Welbeck isn't good enough. Zero point taking a player you have no intention of playing. Take three strikers if only three are good enough, and take Lallana.

If it came to it, it isn't as though Lallana, Alli or Sterling can't play off the main striker, anyway.

Southgate wouldn't have been appointed if he was capable of saying 'FFS this country can't even produce 4 strikers'.
Let alone, 'you know what, I'm going to gamble and make a decision that will shock pundits and the press'.
In fairness you can see the point of the latter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Of that list, I'd only consider Andy Carroll and Ashley Barnes. Both offer something a bit different.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I don't know why this is so hard for people to even consider..... nine of them have already won the premier league, two more were regulars in the team that came second this year, two more are off to the champions league final, and then add Kane and Alli to the mix...

no, not kidding, there's some exceptionally talented footballers there. Give them a good manager and get them playing together week in, week out, in a formation that works for them and they practise week in week out, yes they'd challenge for the premier league, its a no brainer

It's the "good manager" and "playing together week in week out" that are the two reasons why we will fail miserably.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
10 Defenders?

With just 5 Midfielders, seems a bit of an odd balance.

3 goalies - 5 strikers - that is about right though

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hardly any players outside the top 6 clubs...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Looks like Palacegate will be playing a 3-5-2.

I’m very uneasy about that because most players will not be used to it.

I’d prefer a 4-2-3-1 and here’s how it would look:

Pickford

Walker Stones Dunk Rose

Dier Wilshire

Sterling Ali Sessegnon

Kane

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
All the players you listed played regular first team football for their teams. Apart for Welbeck, teams which finished one and two in the Premier League.

And none of them are in the starting XI for their sides (Lacazette / Aubameyang, Fernandinho / Gundogan / B Silva / D Silva, De Bruyne, Kompany / Otamendi, Sanchez / Mata, Lukaka).

With top 6 sides having big squads and fighting for trophies on 4 fronts I expect even fringe players to be getting "regular football" but when has a team of substitutes ever won a major international football trophy?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

You're right. Kane, Vardy and Sterling are quality forwards. With no obligation whatsoever, their clubs managers choose them week after week, season after season, where they could easily drop them for others / buy elsewhere if they were average.

Anyone denigrating their quality either doesn't watch PL/CL football, or perhaps it's that age old chestnut of club rivalries/petty hates carrying on with England (past booing of Lampard, Ashley Cole, Barnes, Waddle, etc).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Taking Alexander-Arnold makes no sense when Trippier and Walker are already there. As for taking full-backs for the experience, it hasn't exactly helped England that we took Luke Shaw to Brazil 4 years ago.

As a squad it's undoubtably the worst on paper that I can remember us taking to a major tournament.

I don't see much cohesion (especially in defence), there's a lack of creativity in midfield, the goalkeeping inexperience is a worry AND YET our attacking players are in good form - Kane, Sterling, Alli, Vardy all carry a threat.

Listening to the pundits and writers, the TAA inclusion is because:

1. Southgate's settled on a back 3 with Walker in it.

2. Trippier's the right wing back, with TAA as back up.

So not 3 right backs. Simple.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
And none of them are in the starting XI for their sides (Lacazette / Aubameyang, Fernandinho / Gundogan / B Silva / D Silva, De Bruyne, Kompany / Otamendi, Sanchez / Mata, Lukaka).

With top 6 sides having big squads and fighting for trophies on 4 fronts I expect even fringe players to be getting "regular football" but when has a team of substitutes ever won a major international football trophy?

Now you're changing what you originally said (playing first team football) to being in the starting XI.

Anyone, those players get plenty of starts for their teams (despite injuries/suspensions).

Those you listed as not regulars (PL starts only):

Welbeck: 12
Delph: 21
Stones: 16
Lingard: 20
Rashford: 17

Average = 17.2

Those you listed as starting regulars (leaving out Jan arrivals):

Lacazette: 26
Fernandinho: 33
Gundogan: 15
B Silva: 15
D Silva: 28
De Bruyne: 36
Kompany: 17
Otamendi: 33
Mata: 23
Lukaku: 33

Average = 25.9

So a difference of about 9 appearances, which is not hugely different, at least not to the extent you are suggesting. Add Sterling, Walker etc and the average of starts of the English players increases.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here