Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England 2018 World Cup Squad - No Hart, no Wilshere...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He’s joking.

They’ve got to select a midfield from Tielemans, Carrasco, De Bruyne, Fellini, Hazard, Witsel, Defour, Dembele and Naingolan.

#PrayforBelgium

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He’s joking.

They’ve got to select a midfield from Tielemans, Carrasco, De Bruyne, Fellini, Hazard, Witsel, Defour, Dembele and Naingolan.

Doh

I’ll Whooooosh myself.

:thumbsup:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
No-one can argue about Hart, he has been woeful all season but I think Wilshire, for all his obvious frailties, is a player who can still pick a pass, an increasingly rare thing for an English footballer to do. Will be interesting to see who Southgate thinks can do this role in midfield, which looks pitifully weak.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Appalling decision regarding Wilshere. The only England midfielder with star quality, look at the rest - Dier, Henderson, Delph RLC, Livermore. Which of those will get you off your seat? Only Dele Alli has what it takes and he can’t do it alone. Worst England squad since the 70s.

He hasn’t shown star quality for 4/5 seasons since he ran the show against Barca.

He’s a very good player, but he’s started 12 PL games this season and done OK - I believe he pulled out of the last England squad as well, which didn’t help.

He’s not been in outstanding form for Arsenal this year either.

It’s not a bigger deal as it’s being made out to be.

Hart blaming Moyes is lols.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So

- you get a short call from Southgate giving you the bad news

- the England players have various WhatsApp groups where this stuff is discussed

- multiple opportunities for leaking there.

- actual announcement is 10am.

In years gone by the squad is announced and you get one of the tabloids running the 'the manager didn't even give me the courtesy of a phone call' story when a player on the fringes doesn't make the squad. Now, the manager does the ring around and the players leak it.

Seems you can't win.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I'm glad Wilshire is out of the squad. He invariably goes passed a player, looks good, then gives the ball away. Something you can't afford to do in international football. As for Joe Hart, i can't understand how he is still even in the conversation.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What a demise for Hart, difficult to see where he goes from here

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
BBC saying Hart is devastated not to be going. FFS is he that deluded to believe he deserves it.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
He’s joking.

Italian, not Belgian, which should make it a bit easier.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I personally would have taken WIlshere, if only to offer something (anything) different in the middle of the park. He's basically the only central midfielder who can turn and carry the ball effectively.

That said, my England squad would have had me facing inquisitions from EVERYWHERE. I'd be asking Tom Davies, Sancho, Lookman and Alexander-Arnold to cancel their trips to whichever UNESCO sites are on their summer hitlists, and start polishing their boots.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Despite ‘injuries’ and ‘attitude problems’, Wilshire & Shelvey remain the two most creative and progressive central English midfielders we have. There is no one else who can ping the ball from deep and hit anyone they like. I suspect we’ll end up with two limited lumps in the centre of midfield like Henderson & Dier. Gareth Palacegate is about to **** up another World Cup to the extent of us not getting out of the group stages.

We should be able to beat Tunisia and Panama even if we only bother fielding 9 men not even wearing the proper kit.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm now in no doubt at all the Adam Lallana HAS to be in this squad. Yes he has played basically no football this year, but, as stated above, Wilshire was the ONLY one who actually breaks the line with the ball.

In my mind, if we don't take lallana (and with no OX), we have about 5 central midfielders who basically pass it sideways for a living.

I like Southgate and I like what he has done since taking over, However if we don't take either Wilshire or Lallana then I will be well and truly stumped. I personally would have taken both.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I do hope he takes Loftus-Cheek. Can't say I'm surprised about Wilshere. An intelligent footballer for sure, but question marks over both his fitness and his effectiveness this season remain. Hart was the obvious exclusion, yet I am pleasantly surprised Southgate has dropped him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm glad Wilshire is out of the squad. He invariably goes passed a player, looks good, then gives the ball away. Something you can't afford to do in international football. As for Joe Hart, i can't understand how he is still even in the conversation.

Wilshere is made of glass no doubt, and for me does not have the high energy press in his legs I think Southgate is going for, but I would have taken him

But if its true Livermore is going then it makes no sense at all to leave Wilshere out, Jack offers something different to our other centre mid options.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do hope he takes Loftus-Cheek. Can't say I'm surprised about Wilshere. An intelligent footballer for sure, but question marks over both his fitness and his effectiveness this season remain. Hart was the obvious exclusion, yet I am pleasantly surprised Southgate has dropped him.

Agreed on Wilshire.

Decent player on his day, but Wilshire's legs are made of Weetabix, there's just no way he'd withstand tournament football where he'd be trying to play (being optimistic here) 3-4-5 games within the space of 3 weeks. He'd invariably pick up a niggle in training, that'd be the last we see of him and thats our plans thrown up in the air again.

Right call.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Agreed on Wilshire.

Decent player on his day, but Wilshire's legs are made of Weetabix, there's just no way he'd withstand tournament football where he'd be trying to play (being optimistic here) 3-4-5 games within the space of 3 weeks. He'd invariably pick up a niggle in training, that'd be the last we see of him and thats our plans thrown up in the air again.

Right call.

Spot on.... but who would you rather see in the side for 1 game if we got a couple of injuries or suspension in a last 16 game.... Wilshere or Livermore....

I don't think Wilshere would be a starter so the issues over a few games in a short space of time wont really come into play...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It surprises me that anyone is especially bothered about who will be England's non playing goalkeeper.

As for Wilshere, I don't think we are particularly well served in midfield but I am not sure he is that deserving of a place even discounting his fitness.

I think when assessing the squads you need to look at the likely first XI's and the probable first choice replacements in key positions and that is about it. There will always be a handful of players who don't feature or are only involved when a team is either already through or already out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here