Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should a father give away his daughter when she gets married ?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I only wish that more brides had the confidence to give a speech at the meal after, rather than just the father, bridegroom and best man.

Agreed.

If my eldest does end up marrying the chap she's currently with, I have little doubt she'll step in instead of him - nice enough bloke, but soooo wet.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If the bride wants to have her dad walk her down the aisle then hashtags and all those screeching about it being this that and the other can swivel.

A very good point - it's as if the bride is expected to sit there and not say anything.

Is it though? How many weddings do you think go on in the first world where women are told they are NOT allowed to do a speech? I got married a few years ago and I have been to several weddings before and after, not one of those weddings have had speeches done in the traditional manner. Not one of them did the bride speak, and every single one of them could think of nothing worse than doing it. Putting pressure on someone to speak in public isn't acceptable, so maybe we should be looking at forcing the men to speak as just as outdated no?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Probably accurate in the case of my future MiL, but that's another matter.

I have two younger brothers and no sisters, and we're all closer to our Mum than our Dad anyway - it feels like a nice opportunity to get her more closely involved in the day, however unusual it might be.
If it’s what you want, and it feels right, go for it. Lovely idea btw.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I'd be pretty gutted if my daughter didn't ask me to give her away. Walking her down the aisle would be a very high point in my life.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
(no poll to follow)

9500515079_Titelbild_10507447.jpg

Wrong! My friend.

The reMARKLEable poll.

Who should not attend the Royal Wedding?

1. Thomas Markle who gave her away once already. Did he take her back?

41221542925_d8e3a361ef_b.jpg

2. Thomas Markle the Jeweler

UAmGOQkt.jpg

3. Thomas J. Markle of Wilmington, Illinois

https://www.spokeo.com/Thomas-Markle/Illinois/Wilmington/p507987341

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can't be arsed personally. Daughter can walk herself, not that she'd have a church wedding in the first place.

(we also vote Labour)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
The tradition of the Father giving the Daughter away is linked to that other tradition.

The Bride's Father paying for the wedding.

My younger daughter and her partner paid for her own wedding......... but still asked me to give her away.

Maybe I should have demanded a fee?

Oct 25, 2003
my father in law has 4 daughters (all married) and describes walking each one down the aisle and giving each one of them away a really special moment between him, his daughter and his son in law. At no point would he have claimed to have "ownership" of his daughters and none of his son in laws have "ownership" of their wives now

I just think it's a really nice tradition

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Exactly! I've three daughters and walked all three down the aisle - simply because it's rather a nice custom that really signifies a different stage in our family. In any case, another part of this is that the father of the bride pays for the reception, and that turned out pretty expensive!

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
well I asked my father in Law if I could marry his daughter and got the reply ... you must be joking. fair play to him as it took him by surprise.He walked her down the aisle and gave her to me... How can I tell him 30yrs later I was actually joking :whistle::whistle: no on n honest note I did not see it as owning her i saw myself as a very lucky man and still do. She also got up to do a speech to thank her parents for looking after her as she is diabetic. m e being a gentleman mover her chair back off her dress but she got very emotional and sat down quickly... and as I had moved the chair fell on the floor.. all on the wedding video. Still as stated 30 yrs later I must be doing something right

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here