Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Should a father give away his daughter when she gets married ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Depends. There may not be a father. Etc.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Never mind Meghan, Harry's father won't be there either.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Don't know but I do know Google ads are very good at attaching relevant products to threads...
Studio_20180515_191932.png

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If the bride wants him too, and he's still around.

My Dad gave me away, but also my cousin, as her father had long gone.
When Princess Margaret got married, Prince Philip gave her away as the old King had died.
Queen Victoria gave away two of her daughters after Prince Albert died.

I also know of a girl who walked down the aisle with her mother and father.

When I remarried (nearly 25 years ago now) my son gave me away.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
What I found the most strange is that Harry hasn't even met him yet?

Is it still not good manners to ask the father of the bride for his daughter's hand in marriage? Or am I just old fashioned.....

(no poll to follow)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
What I found the most strange is that Harry hasn't even met him yet?

Is it still not good manners to ask the father of the bride for his daughter's hand in marriage? Or am I just old fashioned.....

(no poll to follow)

I think so.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
What utter bullshit!

It says that the daughter is the PROPERTY of the father who passes OWNERSHIP on to another man. FFS can't we move on from this Bronze age religious anti female shit.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
What utter bullshit!

It says that the daughter is the PROPERTY of the father who passes OWNERSHIP on to another man. FFS can't we move on from this Bronze age religious anti female shit.

Not always maybe.

I know many a fella who has been to chat to his future father in law to go through the motions, just to show a bit of good faith.
Obviously they would always have married the lady regardless, and just as obvious is that the brides dad was never going to disagree, but would see it as a nice / respectful moment.

Chill babes

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nice tradition but not so nice if you look in to the small print of the ceremony. The Dad, gives his rights of ownership away to some other bloke..... You don't give sons away.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My partner and I have been considering this and how it applies to our wedding when it happens - I'm considering flipping things around and having my Mum walk me down the aisle.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
My partner and I have been considering this and how it applies to our wedding when it happens - I'm considering flipping things around and having my Mum walk me down the aisle.

Mothers don't often give their children away. In fact mothers tend to continue to stick their nose in many an unwanted scenario long after their children have been married off hence the interchangeable term of mother-in-law with monster-in-law

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
What utter bullshit!

A wedding that I went to once, when the vicar said who is giving away the bride, the father said, that's me, but i'm not giving her away, i'm sharing her.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Mothers don't often give their children away. In fact mothers tend to continue to stick their nose in many an unwanted scenario long after their children have been married off hence the interchangeable term of mother-in-law with monster-in-law
Probably accurate in the case of my future MiL, but that's another matter.

I have two younger brothers and no sisters, and we're all closer to our Mum than our Dad anyway - it feels like a nice opportunity to get her more closely involved in the day, however unusual it might be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here