Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Fat Tax

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I sometimes worry that by encouraging so many more people to try their hand at baking through 'The Great British Bake Off,' I'm going to find myself in court one day charged with accelerating the national epidemic of obesity! To which I will plead not guilty. A slice of Victoria sandwich is never going to harm anyone - Paul Hollywood

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Poppycock, seen loads of large people in Primark clothes

We've just been taken over by a new company, prior to this, all the workforce clothing sizes were taken.
Come the day the uniform arrives, all sizes L, XL, XXL were mainly predominant for issue, me being of hobbit origin, has had to wait for small issue uniform, as the latter is is standard issue.
Just goes to show what is mainly ordered :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not fair if you are naturally big.

What does this mean? The fat just found people and grabbed on? Apparently there are glandular issues for something like 0.4% of obese people.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Largest men's size is XL.

Do you think women who are 6' tall should pay more than those who fit Petite sizes?

Yeh but a Primark XL is like an XXXL elsewhere. Given the demographics of people who shop at Primark do you honestly think they'd exclude such a large proportion of their customer base?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What does this mean? The fat just found people and grabbed on? Apparently there are glandular issues for something like 0.4% of obese people.

Being large is not necessarily down to fat. Sorry to spoil everyone's sense of smugness.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeh but a Primark XL is like an XXXL elsewhere. Given the demographics of people who shop at Primark do you honestly think they'd exclude such a large proportion of their customer base?

Yes.
My other half can buy XXL in Asda but nothing gets anywhere near in Primark

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Incidentally, this was a cretinous comment.

Yeh, but at least I'm not being derogatory towards people with thyroid disorders. May he who is without sin e.t.c.

Correct. A cretin is a baby born without a thyroid function. Those of you who are fathers will know all babies have a blood test done at 2 days old with a drop of blood from their heel. That is the thyroid test.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Let's spin today's victimometer...

And today's victims are: FAT PEOPLE

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Big boned is a myth though?

Is it? Not according to my GP, who whilst my other half is on a diet, told him not to drop below 15 stone. He is 6 feet tall.
I prefer to listen to someone medically qualified.

I have always been naturally slim, & could eat what I wanted, & never put weight on, although I did play sport & was reasonably active.
Then I developed thyroid problems (Hashimotos) as part of my auto immune disease, & Pitt on three stone, which is practically impossible to lose. I have to fight to lose a couple of pounds, & one relaxed weekend, & back it goes.
4% of the population have the same as me, and there are lots of similar conditions.

It's down to smugness as I said earlier. Gentics plays a part too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As an addition people who have been chronically asthmatic since childhood tend to be overweight too.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Clearly the 4 part BBC 1 series at 21:00 hrs on Wednesdats about the UK and obesity is a clear myth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here