Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton drowning under grafitti and tagging - is there anything we can do?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do I take from this you expect Brighton to be compared with Stoke in further discussions about the embarrassment you live in?

Im not sure I understand your point? Embarrassment I live in?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ve been to Stoke & yes it’s a shit hole, but I live here so I’m not sure what your point is Noel?

Can you imagine the derision we'd receive if we now decided to use Stoke as the benchmark when talking of Brighton?

I accept Brighton has a better beach, just!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’ve been to Stoke & yes it’s a shit hole, but I live here so I’m not sure what your point is Noel?

My reply was to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]s post about 1) Brighton being a shit hole. 2) Him asking how anyone can be “possessive” about the city. My main point was that everything is relative. Brighton might not be up to the standards of wherever [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] lives but it’s far better than many places and people can be “possessive” about the city.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My reply was to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]s post about 1) Brighton being a shit hole. 2) Him asking how anyone can be “possessive” about the city. My main point was that everything is relative. Brighton might not be up to the standards of wherever [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] lives but it’s far better than many places and people can be “possessive” about the city.

As someone, who in my yoof, made almost weekly trips longer the coast to Brighton, but has only spent odd days there in the last x years, on Saturday I found the whole city filthy, in every sense of the word.

It's one thing to live in a shithole, and own your shithole, but something very different to create a shithole and then be proud.

I can only assume the passionate locals just no longer see the filth and are using the rosy specs now that I may well have been wearing in my yoof.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As someone, who in my yoof, made almost weekly trips longer the coast to Brighton, but has only spent odd days there in the last x years, on Saturday I found the whole city filthy, in every sense of the word.

It's one thing to live in a shithole, and own your shithole, but something very different to create a shithole and then be proud.

I can only assume the passionate locals just no longer see the filth and are using the rosy specs now that I may well have been wearing in my yoof.

On balance I think the city is fine and as an English city I will compare it to other English cities....why wouldn’t I?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On balance I think the city is fine and as an English city I will compare it to other English cities....why wouldn’t I?

Then I sincerely apologise, I had you down as one of the many on here who eulogise about Brighton to the point of nausea.
Brighton is fine, on a par with Stoke, fine, I totally agree.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Then I sincerely apologise, I had you down as one of the many on here who eulogise about Brighton to the point of nausea.

I do eulogise to the point of nausea about many things but not Brighton :lolol:

I think it’s a great place and I like visiting. Like any major conurbation it has its faults but I think on balance it’s fine.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
If anyone on here thinks that tagging is great please leave your address and perhaps you may have a different opinion if your house is vandalised.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If anyone on here thinks that tagging is great please leave your address and perhaps you may have a different opinion if your house is vandalised.

No need, my apartment it already graffitied.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have to distinguish between graffiti and tagging.

Tagging is just moronic, meaningless, childish vandalism (probably originating in Croydon) that the council should be getting rid of and the police should be making far more of an effort to catch the retards.

On the other hand I love much of the graffiti around town; the Albert, El Capitano, Kensington Street area, and the cable boxes look much better than the that horrible grren colour. Adds vibrancy to the town.

What really pisses me off is when the moronic tagging kids who have nothing better to do tag over really artistic works of graffiti.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

If Brighton revolts you so much......here's a groundbreaking idea..........don't go there!

One less daytripper cluttering the place up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Brighton revolts you so much......here's a groundbreaking idea..........don't go there!

One less daytripper cluttering the place up.

I totally agree, we'll not be back any time soon.

The £150 we spent on Saturday won't be spent again.
The jnr's won't be semi regular visitors.
I'll not be returning the cycling co-operative.

All small beer and incredibly insignificant I know, but nevertheless it doesn't stop it from being a great shame.

About the only thing Brighton has going for it is the Budgens by the station.

Whoever decided to make the sweetie aisle so narrow fattie boom-booms are unable to walk down it is a freakin geniune. :lol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
No need, my apartment it already graffitied.

image.jpeg

Do you live here, and spray your own wall?
I know you are a big fan of this forum HT. :)

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I hear on the radio there will be measure to clean the town up. Companies will have to clean away graffiti on their property. I think that it is a great idea as Brighton is sinking under the curse of tagging.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We have none in Faversham. We pilotted CCTV in the early 90s and it seems to have scared the nobbers off. We also have no street assaults in the town centre (same reason). Sometimes there is a lot to be said for a 'police state' as the handwringers called it, or a bit of sensible surveillance as I call it.

That said, do the cameras actually work? Somewhere in the south east (I think it was Maidstone) the labour minority have discovered that half the town's cctv doesn't work, and it will cost over £40K to fix it, and the tory majority who signed the contract did not include a repair and upkeep clause. They are refusing to give a statement about it. I just looked it up on internet and can find nothing on the story - odd it was on local telly last night.

Sadly councils don't properly engage with anything. They just showboat, with multicolour recycling and cctv, while sitting back as policing is cut.

I'm cross now. I'll have to go out and spray something.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
View attachment 98085

Do you live here, and spray your own wall?
I know you are a big fan of this forum HT. :)

It’s not gritty and urban enough for me. A bit more graffiti, a poncy industrial lookimg cafe in the basement and I might, just might, consider the penthouse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I hear on the radio there will be measure to clean the town up. Companies will have to clean away graffiti on their property. I think that it is a great idea as Brighton is sinking under the curse of tagging.

How will this work? What if the business wants to keep the graffiti?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here