Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton drowning under grafitti and tagging - is there anything we can do?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpeg

FFS Stoni, put the paint brush down you have smoked far too much. :smokin:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Which London Boroughs have less tagging than Brighton? You must be hanging around in Barnet or Hampstead. Anywhere in East London I visit looks like the gallery from vision on...senseless daubing by blind children.

Well I have literally just got back from Islington, and I didn't see any un-cleaned off tagging around The Angel, Upper Street or Liverpool Road. I'm sure if I went further off the main drag it would be more common, but my point is that the it's all over central Brighton and stays there for ages.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I was just thinking the same about Berlin. They even have organised street art tours there, with tourists paying for a guide to show them round and explain who the artist was and when it was painted. The main difference, though, is that some of it is actually really good...

Yes but that is street art, not mindless tagging...

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
It’s part of our culture. Until you oldies give up some of your wealth we will deface your precious public spaces, and then more

I see you've posted on here 9,383 times so you can't be particularly young; that's the equivalent of 1 post every day for 25 years! That's an awful lot of time in front of your mum's computer when you could be out doing something useful like tagging a park bench.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Don't mind occasional examples of "street art" (the Bruno one comes to mind) but far too many of them detract from the overall character of the city instead of adding to it IMO.

On a side note, it was slightly disconcerting to see some neo-Nazi grafitti in Haywards Heath hastily scrawled on the train station sign + just outside the Orange Square bar (by some dinlow:tosser: armed with a felt tip by the looks of things).

The 14/88 is a Neo-Nazi reference I think - I believe there was similar graffiti elsewhere in the town with the same number, but also a two word slogan, (of which the first word was "Russian", can't remember the second word)

As already mentioned...

The 14/88 refers to the 14 word slogan of the Aryan nations “we must fight to secure the future, and culture, for our white aryan children”

The 88 refers to the 8th letter of the alphabet (H) and, predictably, means “Heil Hitler”. I never realised Hayward’s Heath was such a hotbed of neo nazism...or racial tension.

The Brexit dividend?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like others I don't mind the street art but I hate the tagging. Quite surprised that some people, I guess in an attempt to show that they're 'street' hip and cool, are accepting of the neo-Nazi graffiti on the grounds that you have to take the good with the bad. Looking at the usernames these are the very same people who have fits of apoplexy when people try to defend racists/sexist posts on NSC as 'just banter' and tell them to chill out.. And yet racist graffiti is ok. Strange.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The tagging here is dreadful, and has got worse over the years. Still some good art about. David Cerny painting a T-34 tank pink was pretty funny, Think a lot of it is about 'permission'. Some street art must take days to complete.

Attachments

• 90387175.jpg
    90387175.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 166
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 164
  • prague-graffiti-900x600-srgb.jpg
    prague-graffiti-900x600-srgb.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 168
  • pink-tank-in-prague.jpg
    pink-tank-in-prague.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Old people complaining about graffiti in a city :lolol:

I guess music was better in your day as well, when people could actually sing etc etc. What? It’s a quarter past two! These 5ps are a bit fiddly.

There’s **** all you can do about it in a city and you will be far better off expending your energy on something more worthwhile. Just a friendly heads up....you’ll find cities are abit noisy as well.

Show me in any of the previous posts where anyone mentions their age. :moo:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The tagging here is dreadful, and has got worse over the years. Still some good art about. David Cerny painting a T-34 tank pink was pretty funny, Think a lot of it is about 'permission'. Some street art must take days to complete.

Yeah, fantastic. And the last thing you want is people defacing that art with tags.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here