Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton drowning under grafitti and tagging - is there anything we can do?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was just thinking the same about Berlin. They even have organised street art tours there, with tourists paying for a guide to show them round and explain who the artist was and when it was painted. The main difference, though, is that some of it is actually really good...

If it’s got the consent of the property owner, that’s a different matter. And I concur, some is defintely art. What I’m talking about is tagging and as [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] and I have said, it some Southern European countries it’s on a different level to anything here. Often every kerb stone and bin not to mention wall, churches and all, have been tagged. Or vandalised if you correctly describe.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s part of our culture. Until you oldies give up some of your wealth we will deface your precious public spaces, and then more

And when you grow up...? ???

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
How about if I set light to you and invite some oldies round to see who can be bothered to piss on you.

Harshly made, but the point is still valid!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was just thinking the same about Berlin. They even have organised street art tours there, with tourists paying for a guide to show them round and explain who the artist was and when it was painted. The main difference, though, is that some of it is actually really good...

The ones in North Laine are great especially Bruno, and the one at the back of London Road UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. Obviously Banksie's are a work of art.

That is not the same as some scrawl by a stupid youth.

No, Hamster Gull it isn't culture. It's vandalism.

This is me

Sep 15, 2013
The elections are next May.

Vote - Anything except LABOUR.

The local party is totally apathetic to the graffiti & mess in our city.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The ones in North Laine are great especially Bruno, and the one at the back of London Road UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. Obviously Banksie's are a work of art.

That is not the same as some scrawl by a stupid youth.

No, Hamster Gull it isn't culture. It's vandalism.

One mans Bruno art is another mans vandalism

One mans Bansky art is another’s defacing

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
image.jpeg
This tagg is appearing around Haywards Heath any info worth a few pints of Harveys

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Don't mind occasional examples of "street art" (the Bruno one comes to mind) but far too many of them detract from the overall character of the city instead of adding to it IMO.

On a side note, it was slightly disconcerting to see some neo-Nazi grafitti in Haywards Heath hastily scrawled on the train station sign + just outside the Orange Square bar (by some dinlow:tosser: armed with a felt tip by the looks of things).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It’s wrong, it’s vandalism and they do it because they haven’t got anything better to do with their lives and can get away with it. Why can’t they just spray it on canvasses and sell it to those who actually like this crap?

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
View attachment 96942
This tagg is appearing around Haywards Heath any info worth a few pints of Harveys

The 14/88 is a Neo-Nazi reference I think - I believe there was similar graffiti elsewhere in the town with the same number, but also a two word slogan, (of which the first word was "Russian", can't remember the second word)

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I was in Norwich yesterday and in the last few weeks I've been to Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Dublin, Birmingham and several London boroughs. Those city centres don't have anything like the deluge of tags sprayed and scribbled over everything. It's got stupid in Brighton recently; for e.g. the top end of Trafalgar Street around the Prince Albert is a right mess (I'm not talking about big pieces done with the owners permission).

CityClean will only clean it off public buildings and so tags stay up on walls for ages attracting other taggers to make it even worse. I try and clean off or paint over what I can in the streets around me; does anyone else do that? Is there anything else we can do to stop these selfish ignorant tagging tw@ts defacing everything?

Which London Boroughs have less tagging than Brighton? You must be hanging around in Barnet or Hampstead. Anywhere in East London I visit looks like the gallery from vision on...senseless daubing by blind children.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here