[Albion] Sorry, but where is Dunk?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Blocks 58 - 1st
Interceptions 71 - 1st
Tackles 67 - 1st
Pass Accuracy 79% - 5th

Worth a mention on the bbc site you would have thought.

There will be Premier League midfielders who wish they had that pass accuracy.

el punal

Southgate is ex Palace, Southgate is from Crawley, enough said

I know Palace are our bitter rivals and Crawley is hardly the most salubrious place on earth, but bloody hell mate you’re taking this to a new level of bitterness. Most players are not fans of the clubs they play for, therefore when they leave do you honestly think they give a monkey’s about fans’ rivalries? Do you honestly think it’s going to affect Southgate’s judgement whether a player worth selecting is from Brighton or anywhere else? The answer is of course no. He will select according to merit, or whether that player fits in to his plans or style of play. Enough said.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Dunk doesn't just come out on top in the tackling, interceptions and block categories he smashes everybody elses stats. Eight more interceptions than the next best, fifteen more blocks and twenty one more tackles. His passing accuracy is average compared to the others but I imagine a lot of the inaccuracy comes from the big diagonals he plays numerous times every game.

I wonder what the actual reason is (rather than 'he's palace') for Southgate not even looking at him? Dunk is a left sided, ball playing centre half who tops all the key defensive stats charts. On the face of it he seems a really good fit for how Southgate wants England to play yet not a sniff of a chance so far. Is he too error prone? Concentration an issue? What is the reason?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Dunk doesn't just come out on top in the tackling, interceptions and block categories he smashes everybody elses stats. Eight more interceptions than the next best, fifteen more blocks and twenty one more tackles. His passing accuracy is average compared to the others but I imagine a lot of the inaccuracy comes from the big diagonals he plays numerous times every game.

I wonder what the actual reason is (rather than 'he's palace') for Southgate not even looking at him? Dunk is a left sided, ball playing centre half who tops all the key defensive stats charts. On the face of it he seems a really good fit for how Southgate wants England to play yet not a sniff of a chance so far. Is he too error prone? Concentration an issue? What is the reason?

He's ****ing clueless.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
He's ****ing clueless.
That and his Wegner like mentality when it comes to players - Wenger usually went French, Southgate usually goes for players he knows from U21s.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
You've not even skimmed it really, here is what is stated:

So who is in form and who has stood out in the Premier League this season?

BBC Sport has taken the key statistics from each position to see if there are any standout options.

So on Monday, BBC Sport produce an article by one of their pundits with Lewis Dunk in the team of the season, so basically 1 of 2 Premier League central defenders.

Tuesday, Dunk isn't even included in a list of central defenders who have stood out this season...

If you look at the key statistics they've claimed they're using, Dunk tops most of them. :shrug:

I did skim it (obviously) and took it to mean from those they (the author) believe to be in contention. Rightly or wrongly, Dunky isn't an "England World Cup prospect."

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Was listening to talkshit last night and they had Cascarino, Merson, Dean Saunders and, bizarrely, Darren Gough naming their ”non top six” 11 and, the rule was if two of the panel nominated the same player they were in.

The two who made it (from Brighton) Dunk and Knockaert. Dunk got three nominations...only Zaha equalled that.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yes. I'd say no.

He has baggage.

If you are referring to the cocaine ban and Barcelona taxi theft then all I would say is who hasn’t got off their tits on bugle then stolen a taxi? I know no weekend is complete without those two elements.

Boys will be boys.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
If you are referring to the cocaine ban and Barcelona taxi theft then all I would say is who hasn’t got off their tits on bugle then stolen a taxi? I know no weekend is complete without those two elements.

Boys will be boys.

Agreed.

I got so off my tits one night, I decided to take a bus home.

I know that doesn't sound too wild, but I'd never driven a Bus before!

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Tbh from a fans point of view it keeps him out of the shop window and he can enjoy a time away from football ready for next season.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just to play Devil’s advocate for a second, Dunk’s extremely impressive stats are to a large extent a consequence of the fact that we were under pressure for so much of so many games, so he had more opportunities to make tackles, blocks and interceptions. Defenders in teams who enjoyed plenty of possession would have spent most of the time watching their midfield players and forwards taking the game to teams like us.

It also highlights how poor our ball retention and defending in midfield are, but that’s another debate.

Stumpy Tim

Just to play Devil’s advocate for a second, Dunk’s extremely impressive stats are to a large extent a consequence of the fact that we were under pressure for so much of so many games, so he had more opportunities to make tackles, blocks and interceptions. Defenders in teams who enjoyed plenty of possession would have spent most of the time watching their midfield players and forwards taking the game to teams like us.

It also highlights how poor our ball retention and defending in midfield are, but that’s another debate.

Which is why I suspect Dunk would probably like to move to a team with more possession. If not a top six team, then an Everton or Leicester I suspect

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here