Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BBC announce their World cup team.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
All the male local radio commentators that are better than Vicki Sparks must be disappointed to miss out.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Speaking of women in mens football, is it Sian Massey that is currently a lino in the PL? I find her to be one of the most consistently decent in the league. It blows my mind that people can be against this stuff. As long as they're there on merit then I am all for it.

You’re right, seen her a few times this season and think on the whole she has done a decent job.

Not sure what that has to do with the whole “female commentator” discussion though. I don’t think I have heard this one so I will reserve judgement until I do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ridiculous what does she know about the men's game. Totally disagree with having female pundits talking about the men's game.

Do you disagree with Michael Johnson being asked to provide analysis of a women's 400m race, or Paula Radcliffe giving her expert opinion on Mo Farah's London Marathon attempt?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Do you disagree with Michael Johnson being asked to provide analysis of a women's 400m race, or Paula Radcliffe giving her expert opinion on Mo Farah's London Marathon attempt?

Couldn't care less if truth be told as no interest in either. Stand by what I say that a person who has never played men's football shouldn't be offering their 'expert' analysis into the match, they have no credibility. But hey I'm a self confessed dinosaur i have no interest in being PC.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Couldn't care less if truth be told as no interest in either. Stand by what I say that a person who has never played men's football shouldn't be offering their 'expert' analysis into the match, they have no credibility. But hey I'm a self confessed dinosaur i have no interest in being PC.

Okay, ignore athletics. What about the BBC paying John McEnroe to commentate on the Wimbledon Ladies final? No credibility, surely? He's never played women's tennis.

What about Peter Aliss doing the golf? He's never played professional golf at all, men's or women's - no credibility surely?

Surely knowledge is what's important rather than gender. I'm all for binning off BAD female commentators and pundits, but no more so than I'm in favour of binning off Ian Darke or Mark Bright :shrug:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Glenn Hoddle was a fantastic player and managed at the highest level. He still talks a load of bollocks on TV though.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Okay, ignore athletics. What about the BBC paying John McEnroe to commentate on the Wimbledon Ladies final? No credibility, surely? He's never played women's tennis.

What about Peter Aliss doing the golf? He's never played professional golf at all, men's or women's - no credibility surely?

Surely knowledge is what's important rather than gender. I'm all for binning off BAD female commentators and pundits, but no more so than I'm in favour of binning off Ian Darke or Mark Bright :shrug:

McEnroee has got the credibility to talk about women's tennis as he's played at a level that is way higher than the women's game. A footballer footballer has not played at a standard higher than the mens game. Don't watch golf but if I did I would be more receptive to the opinions of for example Woosnam or Faldo than I would Alliss.

Knowledge point taken, but what knowledge has a female got of the men's game having never played it? May as well have me or you as a studio pundit.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
McEnroee has got the credibility to talk about women's tennis as he's played at a level that is way higher than the women's game. A footballer footballer has not played at a standard higher than the mens game. Don't watch golf but if I did I would be more receptive to the opinions of for example Woosnam or Faldo than I would Alliss.

Knowledge point taken, but what knowledge has a female got of the men's game having never played it? May as well have me or you as a studio pundit.

Meant McEnroe.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010

Meant a women's footballer!!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If they are going to let women out the kitchen for a spot of pin money commentating then how about Kenny Everets old pals? Bella Emburg and Cleo Roccos(If spelled right).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here