Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bullsh*t jobs

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
An academic has produced a book which is creating a bit of a stir. Here's a short trail:

'Do you have a job that you secretly believe is pointless?
If so, you have what anthropologist David Graeber calls a “bullshit job.” A professor at the London School of Economics and a leader of the early Occupy Wall Street movement, Graeber has written a new book called Bullshit Jobs: A Theory.'

He reckons up to a third of people are in jobs which they consider to have no real value or pupose. Notwithstanding that Graeber's own job might just fall into this category, does anyone have any good examples. preferably from direct personal experience?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Notwithstanding that Graeber's own job might just fall into this category, does anyone have any good examples. preferably from direct personal experience?

You think university lecturers don't have any value? I'd have thought teachers and lecturers were definitely an example of worthwhile jobs? El Presidente may disagree though :)

Personally, I've always considered HR people a bit of a waste of time. When I've been recruiting, I've had to write job description, advertise, assess the CVs and do interviews. HR then come in and print out a standard contract - there'd be nothing stopping me doing that and fill out the relevant details. The last job I had employed three people in HR and they never seemed to have anything to do.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I know, that come the revolution, I will be first against the wall to be shot.

I work in the branding, communications and marketing industry. I am scum. :)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Meet n Greet plebs in fluro at UK airports, I can read the effing signs FFS!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You think university lecturers don't have any value? I'd have thought teachers and lecturers were definitely an example of worthwhile jobs? El Presidente may disagree though :)

Personally, I've always considered HR people a bit of a waste of time. When I've been recruiting, I've had to write job description, advertise, assess the CVs and do interviews. HR then come in and print out a standard contract - there'd be nothing stopping me doing that and fill out the relevant details. The last job I had employed three people in HR and they never seemed to have anything to do.

As a bit of an insider in the UK HE sector, I'd best reserve judgment on this, although I've seen some things. And I'd exempt teachers of course........... But I agree that HR is a bit, er, problematic. PR defo deserves a shout-out in this context too. What we're finding so far is that people are pointing to others' roles (valid if predictable); what the research found is that folk actually 'own up' about their own job being worthless.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
An academic has produced a book which is creating a bit of a stir. Here's a short trail:

If so, you have what anthropologist David Graeber calls a “bullshit job.” A professor at the London School of Economics and a leader of the early Occupy Wall Street movement, Graeber has written a new book called Bullshit Jobs: A Theory.'

He reckons up to a third of people are in jobs which they consider to have no real value or pupose. Notwithstanding that Graeber's own job might just fall into this category, does anyone have any good examples. preferably from direct personal experience?

If a job provides for you and yout family, allows you to pay tax and NI and gets you out of your bed each morning, then it has meaning and purpose.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Trouble is these bullshit jobs are probably the ones that keep commerce running

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Fans TV Vloggers

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
agents in general . . . . just a middle man making life complicated and taking a big slice of the pie for themselves.

'consultants'

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here