Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] For teachers/ TAs on here.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
You'll probably be fine but it will only take a parent to complain to the ICO and you're in the shit. The penalties are HUGE !

Or if something actually goes wrong and the investigation asks what Data protection controls were in place

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
It's long been the case that parents have had to give permission for photos to be used.

The rugby team I manage asked the question and all but one parent gave permission. I therefore carefully had to make sure his daughter wasn't in any pictures that I put up on the website - it was a bit of a pain. Halfway through the season, he changed his mind and allowed her to be shown.

As WS says, there are specific guidelines in GDPR and I'm amending our communication with parents of the cricket team I manage. Fortunately, I'm not in charge of GDPR for the rugby club, so that's someone else's problem.

I work with junior county cricketers and signing the video/photography agreement is a non-negotiable for squad inclusion - I use video analysis and feedback and its a "tool of my job" - I have hundreds of clips of junior cricketers [boys and girls] - but I'd be confident they were all taken with permission given. However, I doubt very much that I could now find every single signed photography agreement for them all.

As someone involved with a village junior cricket club I am planning on completely ignoring GDPR.

If someone official ever came round to our clubhouse and made some serious point, let alone prosecution, about us having a few (unlabelled) team photos up on the walls the world really will have properly gone mad.

Brave move but I think you're right - DPA and now GDPR were all about stopping the mighty corporates taking the piss with your personal details - it's absolutely not about nailing village sports clubs to follow.

A big cricket club that I coached at a few years back had a very over-protective Junior Section administrator. All the kids application forms included a medical/medication section but he thought it was inappropriate to share this personal data with the coaches - we had a very close shave with an eppi-pen requirement and I told him he was an idiot to think he was acting in the child's best interests to keep this medical information "secret" from coaches. He even thought that he should keep their date of birth secret until I pointed out that this info was needed to work out which team a player could play in and how many overs the ECB guidelines said they could bowl. I don't coach there any more ....

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brave move but I think you're right - DPA and now GDPR were all about stopping the mighty corporates taking the piss with your personal details - it's absolutely not about nailing village sports clubs to follow.

A big cricket club that I coached at a few years back had a very over-protective Junior Section administrator. All the kids application forms included a health section but he thought it was inappropriate to share this personal data with the coaches - we had a very close shave with an eppi-pen requirement and I told him he was an idiot to think he was acting in the child's best interests to keep this medical information "secret" from coaches. He even thought that he should keep their date of birth secret until I pointed out that this info was needed to work out which team a player could play in and how may overs the ECB guideline said they could bowl. I don't coach there any more ....
Quite. There is obvious room for different opinion on these matters but I'm with you.

"Safeguarding" of children in junior sports club has never been better. It is so important that initiatives and legislation have been taken seriously, and that people do not get complacent now, but there is a space around the edges for some interpretation and commonsense.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
As someone involved with a village junior cricket club I am planning on completely ignoring GDPR.

If someone official ever came round to our clubhouse and made some serious point, let alone prosecution, about us having a few (unlabelled) team photos up on the walls the world really will have properly gone mad.

Good on you......You`ll get plenty of support !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here