Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

4 Not allowed!
    As someone involved with a village junior cricket club I am planning on completely ignoring GDPR.

If someone official ever came round to our clubhouse and made some serious point, let alone prosecution, about us having a few (unlabelled) team photos up on the walls the world really will have properly gone mad.
    The BHAFC forum is utter shite. They literally talk about everything except their own football club on there.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      This whole thing sounds like an administrative nightmare. I'm afraid I can see many people reading the rights of millions of webmasters out there, possibly forcing them to close down sites. Nobody has the time for this.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Gariani View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      As someone involved with a village junior cricket club I am planning on completely ignoring GDPR.
      That would be foolish: sports clubs have to comply as well. I've just looked at our procedures and there's just a bit of tweaking to do - it's not too onerous.

But you'd certainly be OK with old photos on the wall, I think you'd be pretty safe leaving those up.
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Moshe Gariani View Post

If someone official ever came round to our clubhouse and made some serious point, let alone prosecution, about us having a few (unlabelled) team photos up on the walls the world really will have properly gone mad.
      You'll probably be fine but it will only take a parent to complain to the ICO and you're in the shit. The penalties are HUGE !
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Westdene Seagull View Post
      You'll probably be fine but it will only take a parent to complain to the ICO and you're in the shit. The penalties are HUGE !
      Is that you Mrs G....?
      The BHAFC forum is utter shite. They literally talk about everything except their own football club on there.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      That would be foolish: sports clubs have to comply as well. I've just looked at our procedures and there's just a bit of tweaking to do - it's not too onerous.

But you'd certainly be OK with old photos on the wall, I think you'd be pretty safe leaving those up.
      In schools you are not. All the people I have talked to, including a couple of ladies who are on governing bodies have been told to remove all photos apart from the current intake, and only if they have permission from parents to keep them up.

Maybe the local authority are reading too much in to it, but these days as with H&S and the compensation culture , we seem to be erring on the side of the worse case scenario.

I know one school in the area who tried to track down old pupils and staff but failed miserably so a whole wall of sporting achievements pictures had to come down and they were taking advice if they should destroy them.

As people have said on the brexit thread, we have three " consultants " telling us what we should be doing and what not...we get mails daily about stuff! I suppose they have to justify their £500 a day consultancy rates.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

0 Not allowed!
      Yet again it looks like more legislation with unintended consequences, making normal harmless everyday things illegal along with the things it is meant to prevent and protect against.

What about old photos - the school teams, or of the whole school - where all the people in the photograph can either be presumed dead, or at least in very late old age?
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by GT49er View Post
      Yet again it looks like more legislation with unintended consequences
      i wouldn't say unintended, its been very deliberately framed to remove exceptions and loopholes, making required permission explicit.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
      In schools you are not. All the people I have talked to, including a couple of ladies who are on governing bodies have been told to remove all photos apart from the current intake, and only if they have permission from parents to keep them up.

Maybe the local authority are reading too much in to it, but these days as with H&S and the compensation culture , we seem to be erring on the side of the worse case scenario.

I know one school in the area who tried to track down old pupils and staff but failed miserably so a whole wall of sporting achievements pictures had to come down and they were taking advice if they should destroy them.
      This is farcical and saddening in equal measure.

As a schoolboy, I used to love to look at all the old photos, especially the sports photos, that went back to the turn of the 20th century.

It was inspiring as well as sobering to know that so many of those same names on the photos, boys not much older than myself at the time, were also commemorated on the roll of honour plaque having given their lives in World War 1.

It was a great honour to have your photo and name on the school wall - something noble and to be aspired to. To deny future students such opportunities would be shameful.

The taking down of past photos is little more than historical vandalism with paranoia as the primary driving force.

Of course children should be protected for their future development. The vast majority of teachers (myself included) enter the profession to try and make a positive difference in their lives.

However, let's not make the mistake of finding a demon under every stone here.

And let's respect the past for what it was then and what it still means now.

"To be honest, I was holding out just for Brighton really. This is where I wanted to be."
      - Bobby Zamora, Tuesday 4th August 2015
      "It does not matter what league you are in, the goalposts don't move."
      - Glenn Murray, Sunday 4th March 2018
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
      I suppose they have to justify their £500 a day consultancy rates.
      And the rest !!!!
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."