Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Members

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues Rock DJ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but the keeper's in white ??
    Keeper's disappeared into the background of white hoardings and white seats. Player is under pressure, passed it to what the corner of his eye has seen. I don't actually know of course, perhaps it was just a blind pass, funny how it was straight at that thing though. I'm by no means a professional footballer, but I have passed the ball to a bin, a dog walker, and an opposition sub warming up in my time.

I love these too, you can see why it happened...

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      you have to wonder why on earth the keeper was where is. defender should of course of seen he wasnt where he expected, but odd positioning.
      Not really. With the modern sweeper keeper they tend to move over to the side of the pitch the goal is on to make it an easier pass for the defender.

Back in my day the instruction to defenders for backpasses was to make sure that they were firmly hit and wide of the goal. That way, the striker shouldn't be able to intercept and if the keeper missed it or was not there, the worst would be a corner.
      She’s the main man in the office in the city
      And she treats me like I’m just another lackey
      But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
      And pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by thedonkeycentrehalf View Post
      Not really. With the modern sweeper keeper they tend to move over to the side of the pitch the goal is on to make it an easier pass for the defender.
      the way i saw it, the keeper's position doesnt offer any sensible outlet, has to pass back or to his left, both covered by opposition. if he'd been where the defender expected, he could push the ball out right.

as for the passing wide of the goal, we were told in primary school to do that if we had to pass back, in the era hoof was still mandatory part of English defending.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by thedonkeycentrehalf View Post

Back in my day the instruction to defenders for backpasses was to make sure that they were firmly hit and wide of the goal. That way, the striker shouldn't be able to intercept and if the keeper missed it or was not there, the worst would be a corner.
      This. Golden rule. Worst case scenario is a corner.