Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Klopp - generous or patronising?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Did anyone else find it a little patronising when Klopp said he was happy that his team didn't take more of their chances because 'Brighton wouldn't have deserved that'?

If we'd lost 6-0 then yes, I think we'd all agree that we would have deserved it. I don't know whether we want rival managers feeling sorry for us.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Klopp is becoming a boring, egotistical **** these days

Wonder what he might be like if trounced 5-0 in the Champions League final

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Although I get your point, I don’t care what Klopp thinks about us anymore that your average Palace ‘ultra’

I do find Klopp as irritating as Jose if I’m honest and that comment sums him up I think.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did anyone else find it a little patronising when Klopp said he was happy that his team didn't take more of their chances because 'Brighton wouldn't have deserved that'?

If we'd lost 6-0 then yes, I think we'd all agree that we would have deserved it. I don't know whether we want rival managers feeling sorry for us.

He did specifically say that Mat Ryan wouldn't have deserved that - and on that I'd agree.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

I assumed it was a bit of a peace offering type statement after (inadvertently?) angering Hughton when they walloped us at the Amex.

Plus its really easy to be magnanimous when you've taken the opposition to school, guaranteed a top four finish, had two players score their first goals for the club, escaped with no injuries and having everybody firing and in form for a champions league final in two weeks time.

Anyway, it's probably quite easy to read it as patronising but I doubt that was the intent.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I assumed it was a bit of a peace offering type statement after (inadvertently?) angering Hughton when they walloped us at the Amex.

Plus its really easy to be magnanimous when you've taken the opposition to school, guaranteed a top four finish, had two players score their first goals for the club, escaped with no injuries and having everybody firing and in form for a champions league final in two weeks time.

Anyway, it's probably quite easy to read it as patronising but I doubt that was the intent.

Well said.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Relieved that we didn't threaten at all. With our three attacking players and our best defender dropped he did not want any unpleasant surprises. He should be grateful and he was.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

In the context of Matt Ryan's brilliant goal keeping performance then absolutely, he wouldn't have deserved it.

Great performance from Ryan, let down by others.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I think the OP is being slightly unfair. When you speak a second language it is very common to say too much, ie keep throwing stones until the message is understood. What he meant was, Brighton did not deserve to lose by more than four goals. That’s it....
Unlike, the vast majority of managers, I struggle to recall when he has tried to sleight, play mind games or demean any other manager and I listen to most of how public appearances.
Why would he try and antagonise a club he has just scored four goals against two weeks before a European Cup final against Real Madrid? Completely unnecessary and baseless post, in my opinion of course.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be honest, I find it quite funny how much fans try and take offence at things like this. He was complimenting Maty Ryan (rightly so). We weren't at the races, never tested them and looked like we were on the beach. Let's take a mild mannered comment from their manager for what it is and move on.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
To be honest, I find it quite funny how much fans try and take offence at things like this. He was complimenting Maty Ryan (rightly so). We weren't at the races, never tested them and looked like we were on the beach. Let's take a mild mannered comment from their manager for what it is and move on.

This.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing

Everyone would be crying had he said Brighton got off lightly losing by 4 and not by a cricket score . People take offence at everything these days

Last edited:

el punal

Honestly, some people get so precious on here. The bloke said nice things about us and that’s fair enough. What would have happened if he said that we were absolutely tonked, were mediocre opposition and that we didn’t deserve to be in the Premier League? :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here