Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Picking over the bones ...

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Id like to see Naughton from Swansea and Gibbs from West Brom to provide more competition at full back. Both also home grown players so would help to fill our quota.

Both of these players would add to our squad

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If Villa don't come up what about Grealish?

Seems to have calmed down a lot and is playing some decent football. Wouldn't be cheap and I guess they'll always be that question around his temperament but would be a cracking signing IMO.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Rondon - a Beast of a forward and works his socks off. Would do well with our wingers in my opinion, and has a reasonable release clause I gather.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It is at this time of year that clubs in the mid to lower end of the Premier league pick over the bones of the relegated sides for anyone that they want to sign.

Who do we want us going after from West Brom, Stoke and Swansea? There are some experienced Premier League campaigners on their way down, you'd think there are one or two that "could do a job".

Ah, we are back to the time of the year where "could do a job" becomes one of the most used phrases around here.

I predict we will not raid any of the relegated clubs, but will instead do our business abroad for players that have not been mentioned once on this site - as previously...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I predict we will not raid any of the relegated clubs, but will instead do our business abroad for players that have not been mentioned once on this site - as previously...

That is probably where most of our business will be done, but we need to maintain the right mix, and that should include 1 or 2 who have been here and done it. I don't think it will be one of the higher profile options, like Sessignon or Cairney, nor an Alfie Mawson or Jake Livermore, but someone like Joe Allen fits the bill for me. I don't think he's be on silly money, but probably enough that Stoke could do with moving him on. Oliver Burke would be an interesting option as well, and likewise, I doubt any deal for him would get into silly money territory.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is probably where most of our business will be done, but we need to maintain the right mix, and that should include 1 or 2 who have been here and done it. I don't think it will be one of the higher profile options, like Sessignon or Cairney, nor an Alfie Mawson or Jake Livermore, but someone like Joe Allen fits the bill for me. I don't think he's be on silly money, but probably enough that Stoke could do with moving him on. Oliver Burke would be an interesting option as well, and likewise, I doubt any deal for him would get into silly money territory.

I really like Allen, but I think you're rather optimistic in your view of the finances involved.

He was at Liverpool for four years, and will not have agreed a pay CUT to move the Stoke. He's 28 and will be seeking the most financially important contract of his career. I think he will be (both now, and next season) earning roughly three times the salary of our top earner.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Looking for players that cannot get in the first team and unsettled at top 6 clubs at home and in Europe and young enough not to be on too high wages. Then we may have to readjust our top targets, I would like to see another defensive midfielder that can slot into the back four allowing Dunk not to be uncertain when taking the ball out of defence.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
They have a squad and first 11 who are paid (in some cases significantly) more than we pay ours and they got themselves relegated.

I'd rather fish for HG players from promoted clubs who narrowly miss out, and leave our recruitment team to do their thing around europe.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Can't say I'm a great judge of opposition players, but I have a lot of time for Joe Allen, who always seems to work his socks off, always honest, and would fit in with us I would think in terms of hardworking attitude.

Might be just me, but I've always thought of Allen as being a bit light-weight. Works hard-enough, granted. Never saw him have a good game for Liverpool. But, hey, what do I know.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ollie Burke is interesting as he would still count as an U21 next season - and not therefore have to take up a 25 man squad place.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I’m sure Newcastle, Huddersfield, Cardiff and Wolves will already be in discussions with the the decent picks!

We are still fiddling around with kit designs.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Jay Rodriguez?

Capture.PNG

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
I wouldn't have any of them. They've all demonstrated a lack of commitment and passion to play as part of team in a dog fight. Some big name players here who have under performed and will now happily jump ship to take another dip into the Premier League gravy train rather than face up to life in the Championship. Our recruitment strategy is all about finding team players with the personality to slot into the existing squad mentality. Grafting and commiting to a team ethos is a major part of that. I would hope that we'll look elsewhere and get better.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I wouldn't have any of them. They've all demonstrated a lack of commitment and passion to play as part of team in a dog fight. Some big name players here who have under performed and will now happily jump ship to take another dip into the Premier League gravy train rather than face up to life in the Championship. Our recruitment strategy is all about finding team players with the personality to slot into the existing squad mentality. Grafting and commiting to a team ethos is a major part of that. I would hope that we'll look elsewhere and get better.

I agree with the sentiment but it's probably not fair to tar ALL the players in the teams that were relegated with the same brush. Some were probably trying their hardest and giving everything every week but were let down by others who weren't.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I really like Allen, but I think you're rather optimistic in your view of the finances involved.

He was at Liverpool for four years, and will not have agreed a pay CUT to move the Stoke. He's 28 and will be seeking the most financially important contract of his career. I think he will be (both now, and next season) earning roughly three times the salary of our top earner.

Maybe, maybe not, it's hard to tell but I don't think he's ever been that marquee signing that someone has had to pull in and therefore paid whatever it takes. When he was at Liverpool, I think I read somewhere that he was on circa £45k per week. Not sure he would have got a big rise going to Stoke, and now he has gone down with them, and again isn't a headline player that everyone is queuing up for.

I don't think we're looking at 3 times our top earner, or anywhere close. But hey, it's all guesswork from here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Maybe, maybe not, it's hard to tell but I don't think he's ever been that marquee signing that someone has had to pull in and therefore paid whatever it takes. When he was at Liverpool, I think I read somewhere that he was on circa £45k per week. Not sure he would have got a big rise going to Stoke, and now he has gone down with them, and again isn't a headline player that everyone is queuing up for.

I don't think we're looking at 3 times our top earner, or anywhere close. But hey, it's all guesswork from here.

'3x' was over the top, in hindsight. I'll scale that back to 2x.

Ours will be on close to £40,000. I'd be very surprised if Allen isn't on (and seeking) close to £80k.

He (apparently) has a release clause allowing him to speak to any top 6 club that offers £25m for him. He's good enough for top 6 squads too - question is whether he is happy to go back to being a squad player (as he was at Liverpool).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here