Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Pochettino leaves Spurs - well ......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Poor managers blame lack of money.

Not quite

In his post match, Carlos Carvalhal, blamed the lack of points gained by the previous manager, even when asked about Swansea's 3 points from the last 9 games.

Gotta hand it to him for that brazen display.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Spurs won't want Hughton. Their fans might respect him and regard him as one of their own, but they're a club looking to make the jump to becoming a PL and CL heavyweight in their new stadium. I love Chris, I really do, but he really isn't the guy to do that for them. Plus after Man Utd goofed so spectacularly with Moyes no lower to mid PL manager will get another gig at a really top club in the PL anymore unless they're desperate, they'll go and poach Simeone.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
It is rather weird, I remember Levy saying that due to the new stadium funds would be scarce and remember Poch saying he understood the situation and was looking for a big project.
Spuds don’t interest me at all, but they have what seems to be a great new stadium, a team that finished 3 Rd in the PL and had the benefit of a home grown possibly WC striker as well as CL football next year.
Doesn’t seem to shabby to me....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I couldn't believe Pochettino's comments, to be honest. He's certainly a more than competent manager but it sticks in the craw when managers start talking about "taking risks" when what they mean is "give me more of your money, Mr Chairman".

Because let's face it, if Daniel Levy said "OK, let's take a risk Mr P. How about I back you with £200m next season on the condition that we agree to halve your salary/bonus but quadruple it if you win either the league or Champions League", what do you think Mr "no trophies since he arrived in England" Pochettino would say in response?

Compare and contrast with Rafa Benitez, a man who has actually WON things (including the biggest thing in club football with a team not expected to do so), who joins a club doomed to relegation, sticks around to get them back up as Champions ( :down: ) and then oversees a top 10 finish when they were expected to struggle against relegation despite his own murmurings of discontent. Or Arsene Wenger, who revolutionised football here on the way to winning 3 titles, several cups, and also getting to several cup finals including the CL final - and yet just got on with it whilst having budget constraints imposed on him whilst the stadium was being built.

If you want to be given the budget of a top, top manager, then prove you deserve it.

I actually agree with a fair bit of this.

He has done amazingly well at Spurs, Top 4 for three seasons straight is an achievement given the budget we have against the likes of Chelsea/City/Arsenal/United/Pool and playing 38 away games this season, however there is still question marks over his ability to win one off do or die games - League cup final/FA cup semis/Juve game

He does sometimes come across as thinking he is better than he is, he still makes the same tactical mistakes, over plays certain players and leaves it too long before making subs - he has actual said he is against making them and his record in Europe before this year is abysmal - not completely all his fault.

In my mind there is no way he is ready for Real/PSG who demand a trophy (ideally the CL) every season.

This is also the third season out of 4 we have tailed off badly at the end of the season, being slightly greedy/unrealistic? given that after Chelsea the gap was 10 point, top 4 really should have been sorted a few games ago with ease rather than the Spursy like worry.

It is currently a perfect combination and he will do well to remember that, there is no real pressure on him to win a trophy as long as we finish in the top 4 and even that doesn't have as much pressure on it as other clubs.

I don't want him to leave, but I would not be as devastated as some if he did, given the new stadium/CL football we would be quite an attractive option for top managers.

He has had money, but as a club we have wasted it - £30 million sissoko, 10 Llorente, 17 Janssen (who I still think should have gone on loan to Brighton, for the first half of the season at least) 12 Njie, 12 Nkoudou among others.

Saying that if Liverpool dont win the CL hes done a better job than Klopp this year who is seen to have done a wonderful job this season.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I actually agree with a fair bit of this.

He has done amazingly well at Spurs, Top 4 for three seasons straight is an achievement given the budget we have against the likes of Chelsea/City/Arsenal/United/Pool and playing 38 away games this season,

I've seen a few Spurs folk (Lloris first, then others) trotting this drivel out.

Please explain how playing in front of 80,000 of your own fans and 3,000 opposition ones, in a stadium you get familiar with over the course of an entire season, constitutes an 'away game'.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I've seen a few Spurs folk (Lloris first, then others) trotting this drivel out.

Please explain how playing in front of 80,000 of your own fans and 3,000 opposition ones, in a stadium you get familiar with over the course of an entire season, constitutes an 'away game'.

Indeed. Presumably they'll have 38 away games next season too, as it's a brand new stadium? Utter nonsense.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Even if it was the case of the players getting used to it towards the end of the season, it was still a new stadium for the first few games which would have had an impact.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Even if it was the case of the players getting used to it towards the end of the season, it was still a new stadium for the first few games which would have had an impact.

Even IF you want to pretend that it took Spurs any more than 3 or 4 matches to get used to the pitch / stadium, its still a complete nonsense of a suggestion.

a. You were playing in a huge stadium, full of Spurs fans. That is a home match.

b. Even if your players (for 3 or 4 games) were not entirely familiar with their surroundings, they were still more familiar with it than the away side. That is not an 'away' match.

38 away games :lol:

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I couldn't believe Pochettino's comments, to be honest. He's certainly a more than competent manager but it sticks in the craw when managers start talking about "taking risks" when what they mean is "give me more of your money, Mr Chairman".

Because let's face it, if Daniel Levy said "OK, let's take a risk Mr P. How about I back you with £200m next season on the condition that we agree to halve your salary/bonus but quadruple it if you win either the league or Champions League", what do you think Mr "no trophies since he arrived in England" Pochettino would say in response?

Compare and contrast with Rafa Benitez, a man who has actually WON things (including the biggest thing in club football with a team not expected to do so), who joins a club doomed to relegation, sticks around to get them back up as Champions ( :down: ) and then oversees a top 10 finish when they were expected to struggle against relegation despite his own murmurings of discontent. Or Arsene Wenger, who revolutionised football here on the way to winning 3 titles, several cups, and also getting to several cup finals including the CL final - and yet just got on with it whilst having budget constraints imposed on him whilst the stadium was being built.

If you want to be given the budget of a top, top manager, then prove you deserve it.

I loosely translated his comments as 'Someone has spoken to my agent about the Real Madrid job. If I make myself a pain in the arse, they will more likely let me go'

He also strikes me as the classic 'If he was an Ice cream, he'd eat himself' type. I can imagine Poch Shooting himself in the mirror and blowing imaginary smoke off his finger singing ''You're the best'' at the top of his voice.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Even IF you want to pretend that it took Spurs any more than 3 or 4 matches to get used to the pitch / stadium, its still a complete nonsense of a suggestion.

a. You were playing in a huge stadium, full of Spurs fans. That is a home match.

b. Even if your players (for 3 or 4 games) were not entirely familiar with their surroundings, they were still more familiar with it than the away side. That is not an 'away' match.

38 away games :lol:

Exactly. At the FA Cup semi-final the crowd was 50-50, so not a home game, and they lost.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He also strikes me as the classic 'If he was an Ice cream, he'd eat himself' type. I can imagine Poch Shooting himself in the mirror and blowing imaginary smoke off his finger singing ''You're the best'' at the top of his voice.

I do NOT believe this to be the case.

My lad had some behind the scenes involvement at Saints' training ground at Staplewood (refereeing junior matches) during the eras of both Poch and Koeman. He maintains that Poch was a lovely bloke who always had time, and a smile, for the 'little people' about the place, He also insisted that every first team player must smile and say hello to every single cleaner, groundsman, schoolboy player, binman, that they pass at any time whilst on site.

Conversly, he thinks Koeman an arrogant arse.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

My lad had some behind the scenes involvement at Saints' training ground at Staplewood (refereeing junior matches) during the eras of both Poch and Koeman. He maintains that Poch was a lovely bloke who always had time, and a smile, for the 'little people' about the place, He also insisted that every first team player must smile and say hello to every single cleaner, groundsman, schoolboy player, binman, that they pass at any time whilst on site.

Every day a school day. I'd have never imagined that to be the case especially bin men - No-one speaks to them.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

i would imagine your lad is right

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Spurs won’t sack him...... whether he leaves of his own accord or not is another question.

Spurs won’t sack a manager that is delivering them Champions League football on a regular basis, whilst working on the budget Levy has given him. They need to be in the champs league to help pay for that shiny new stadium and its cheese room.

Their fans may well want trophies, but Levy just wants to maximise revenue, and won’t want to risk another manager and the unknown potientially not delivering what Poch is. Doesn’t seem like the right time for them to roll the dice quite yet.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I remember reading something about how the new stadium has gone from being a massive cash cow to a money pit. Costs have risen and Levy's not best pleased, the knock on is that Poch might now be working under restricted activity in the transfer market as opposed to what was thought at the outset.

Rather than adding top, top players he'll do well to keep the ones he has.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here