Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk makes Garth Crook's team of the season

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Duffy and Dunk’s style of defending is more suited to a bottom half team than a top 6 one. IMO Dunk is great for us and invaluable to us, but I don’t see him anywhere near the class of an international centre back in a top side.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Duffy and Dunk’s style of defending is more suited to a bottom half team than a top 6 one. IMO Dunk is great for us and invaluable to us, but I don’t see him anywhere near the class of an international centre back in a top side.

We simply don't know his potential. Every time he has been asked to raise his game he has. We have no idea how good he could be but he'll need to be pushed to get there.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

It's an interesting one - would he be a better player surrounded by better players? I reckon he would but hope I don't find out.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Anyone saying we dont need to sell him needs to take their BHA specs off and give their head a wobble. We might not NEED to sell him in that we arent about to go under one would hope, but it's about sustainability and self sufficiency as well. As much as Tony is a fan, he's running a business here too, albeit not one of his most lucrative ones. You dont get 30m+ (probably) players everyday to bolster the squad in the transfer market. If he can get 2 (or even more) decent players for the money for Dunk with 2 x modest wages, an as importanty if Dunk wants to step up and double his wage (possibly) everyone is a winner (arguably)

If it was on Championship Manager and it wasnt BHAFC anyone in their right mind would sell

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The skill of knowing when to lunge is improving, and he'll refine himself in other areas too - 2 away games to Citeh and Liverpool will hopefully enforce some maturing of how to read such dazzlers. It might be the pressure, accompanied with being alongside a new level of football genii, that has him move forward. I'd be sorry to see him go, but want him to have the chance to really go for it. It would have to be for some suitable crazy money though.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Anyone saying we dont need to sell him needs to take their BHA specs off and give their head a wobble. We might not NEED to sell him in that we arent about to go under one would hope, but it's about sustainability and self sufficiency as well. As much as Tony is a fan, he's running a business here too, albeit not one of his most lucrative ones. You dont get 30m+ (probably) players everyday to bolster the squad in the transfer market. If he can get 2 (or even more) decent players for the money for Dunk with 2 x modest wages, an as importanty if Dunk wants to step up and double his wage (possibly) everyone is a winner (arguably)

If it was on Championship Manager and it wasnt BHAFC anyone in their right mind would sell

30m+ players that cost us NOTHING. It's a huge, huge mark-up.
Dunk feels so integral to everything that is happening here, but he is replaceable. Everybody is. I'd be gutted if he left but i'm 100% confident our recruitment team would find a decent replacement.
I just don't think we can a) turn down that kind of money and b) get in the way of Dunk realising his fullest potential.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Absolutely correct......£30m would pay for Lancing in one hit. Anyone saying 'we're not a selling club' is a bit deluded - if a big club comes in with a giant offer for one of our players we'd have to consider it - as well as the financial impact on the club, the opportunity for the player, both in terms of career and cash, will be a big factor. If, for example, a top 6 club offer £30m for Dunk, this would likely result in him multiplying his current wages by a factor of 2 or 3 or more (which we will never match) and increasing his England chances.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
...the opportunity for the player, both in terms of career and cash, will be a big factor. If, for example, a top 6 club offer £30m for Dunk, this would likely result in him multiplying his current wages by a factor of 2 or 3 or more (which we will never match) and increasing his England chances.

Exactly. Either Dunk is a rare, footballing madman who bleeds blue and white and would rather stay here for the rest of his career, or he is just a footballer who would do what 99.9% of footballers (and supporters) would do- maximise his chances of international honours, trophies and (most importantly) money.

Last edited:

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
unless the player himself wanted to go there's absolutely no way Mr Bloom would sell , why would he , we're not a have to sell club anymore .

bit deluded i think.

at the top level we will always be a selling club - both financially (we're not that rich) and because players will want to take their potential to bigger clubs.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If we never sell players there's zero incentive for the U23 and reserve players. There has to be some sales to keep the progression to 1st team open. It's just that we don't need to sell and specific player at any specific time, unless the offer to very enticing.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester

This.

I'm a realist and don't wear blue and white specs.

If we get offered £30m for Dunk then I expect TB will accept it, and if the offering club tell Dunk they'll double or triple his wages, it'll be a no-brainer for him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, that thought occurred to me to. Of curse, tough, he has stepped up every time he's been asked to step up so far, so who knows? I think another season with us in the PL will start to make that clearer.

Exactly. Either Dunk is a rare, footballing madman who bleeds blue and white and would rather stay here for the rest of his career, or he is just a footballer who would do what 99.9% of footballers (and supporters) would do- maximise his chances of international honours, trophies and (most importantly) money.
Not so much of the 'madman' stuff, please! It may not be madness at all - obviously a footballer's aim is to secure comfortable financial security for himself and his family for the rest of his life - but what do you need to do if you've already doe that? Even on the apparently pathetic wages by PL standards the Brighton pay, Dunk is already a very rich young man. If he stays here for the rest of his career - 5 years, maybe even 6, 7 or 8 - he will likely trouser another £10M plus - and believe it or not, £10M is enough to see him in comfort for the rest of his days (and by 'in comfort' I don't mean a three bed semi in Haywards Heath and a ten year old Ford Mondeo!).
£2M of that invested in property to rent should give him an income of £100K per year (index/inflation linked) - so if he likes playing where he is, respected and admired by his manager and team-mates, and revered by the fans, perhaps the need to move to double his wages isn't the same incentive as it might be to the likes many of us on average incomes or less.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
bit deluded i think.

at the top level we will always be a selling club - both financially (we're not that rich) and because players will want to take their potential to bigger clubs.

Try telling Dale Stephens that .

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I don't think we could replace him and without him fear we would be relegated next season.

the £30m might seem nice now but if it costs you £100m the following year than its an awful decision to make. I'd keep him at all costs

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think we could replace him and without him fear we would be relegated next season.

the £30m might seem nice now but if it costs you £100m the following year than its an awful decision to make. I'd keep him at all costs

You can't do that with footballers. If he wants to go and the price is right, he deserves his chance. It's then up to our recruitment team to bring in a quality replacement.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Absolutely correct......£30m would pay for Lancing in one hit. Anyone saying 'we're not a selling club' is a bit deluded - if a big club comes in with a giant offer for one of our players we'd have to consider it - as well as the financial impact on the club, the opportunity for the player, both in terms of career and cash, will be a big factor. If, for example, a top 6 club offer £30m for Dunk, this would likely result in him multiplying his current wages by a factor of 2 or 3 or more (which we will never match) and increasing his England chances.

Crooks' full team of the season: De Gea; Walker, Dunk, Otamendi, Young; De Bruyne, Fernandinho, D.Silva; Salah, Kane, Aguero. Manager of the season: Benitez.

Read more at: https://www.brightonandhoveindepend...aming-him-in-his-team-of-the-season-1-8496970

My EPL team would not be all that different. I don't think I would have included Dunk and Walker, preferring Lovren and I'm not sure about who is the best right back?.

Brighton are not a selling club. Our historic record is virtually non-existent for selling players to the big clubs.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I would be astonished if we found a replacement who was ready to slot in and could perform like Lewis does every week.

Goldson likely far better than anyone we could buy with no PL experience for a sensible transfer fee.

£40M for Dunk is the minimum offer to warrant consideration by the club IMO.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well done Dunky.If somebody comes in with £40m for him,then he should go.If he wants to progress even more then he needs to go to a bigger club to get more recognition and international call-ups.Good luck to him,whatever he decides.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Brighton are not a selling club. Our historic record is virtually non-existent for selling players to the big clubs.

All clubs at this level are as much 'selling' clubs as they are 'buying' clubs.

It's just a different market isnt it, with different priccs and different fees. I mean who in the last 15 years should/would have gone to a premiership top 6 if we had anyone worth selling (ie was good enough)
Errm Zamora?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here