Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Members
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Worcester England
    Posts
    7,599


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Horses Arse View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd go for it and demand the necessary training to fulfil the role. A good career development for the next job..plus once they've trained you they'd be more reluctant to loose you hence more cash when you find something else.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    No idea about the legalities (well I have an incling and it's been mentioned already). Would you have a good reason to say no (or you dont just not want to) I agree with this quoted post, it cant harm your cv, will make you more valuable to the company, and that should be in their need to keep you, and with extra respnsibility should could some extra money. Whether this will happen who know. Good luck. Having been out of work for a while try and see it as an opportunity gained rather than a piss take even if you dont want it (but dont get the piss taken out of you either)

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #12
      Members
      Join Date
      Dec 2003
      Location
      Worcester England
      Posts
      7,599


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It’s not like that. They have porters and theatre porters for that.
      It’ll be more of PPMs, filling out loads of spreadsheets and preparing for audits.
      We are maintenance and no idea of stuff like this or do we have time for extra roles. We barely get time to complete PPMs on time with all other reactive works and repairs we do.
      Whats a PPM? Sorry I already replied. Most of it still stands, an opportunity to upskill as a positive. Sounds to me reading that though though it should be a different roll, or more under someone elses umbrella of remit. Interested what you do so let us know. Try and get something out of it if it's inevitable, some triaining/money and use it in your favour
    • #13
      Members Bevendean Hillbilly's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Location
      Nestling in green nowhere
      Posts
      11,648


      0 Not allowed!
      I would put all your concerns down on paper using such wording as "we are concerned that, without proper training and support the. Hospital is exposing us, and itself, to falling foul of statutory inspections and compliance" and "whilst we remain happy to work hard and support the organisation we have concerns that we are being asked to fulfil roles which we are neither competent nor prepared to undertake"

      I also would recommend using their tag line against them..most hospitals have a slogan like "valuing patients and staff" or some other jarg comment. Refer to that in your letter. HR love that shit.

      Copy your line manager and HR / Operations manager.

      They'll discuss it with you, guaranteed. Remember. Prepare for success or prepare to fail. Never go in with a bunch of issues without a solution.
      I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill Archer, for what you done to The Seagulls.
    • #14
      Members moggy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      southwick
      Posts
      4,470


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by maffew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Whats a PPM?
      PPMs are pre-planned preventative maintenance.
      So will involve weekly checks, monthly checks and annual checks.
      This will cover a whole multitude of checks of plant equipment to hospital equipment.
      Won’t bore you with details but nearly everything gets checked at some point and we have to fill in spreadsheets to show equipment has been checked
      Last edited by moggy; 13-05-2018 at 13:23.
      "All you touch & all you see, is all your life will ever be"

      Pink Floyd
    • #15
      Members Herr Tubthumper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      The Fatherland
      Posts
      43,473


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      They can do a service review, make both current roles/jobs redundant, and create two new roles/jobs with new job descriptions and person specifications which you may or may not be able to fulfill. If you are lucky they may fence the new roles to you. There are various rules they have to abide by, but any decent HR manager can get round them.

      If you say no or object, they can find someone else.
      No disrespect to HR managers, but this will be meat and potatoes to most employment lawyers.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
    • #16
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Ohio
      Posts
      2,259


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by rigton70 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Work harder then.
      Always work smarter not harder.

      Quote Originally Posted by Bevendean Hillbilly View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Never go in with a bunch of issues without a solution.
      This.

      It would be best to open a dialogue with your boss about your concerns but keep it positive. You don’t know what they are thinking entirely. They may have plans to hire someone on a full/part time basis to help with the workload. Plus, extra responsibility should come with remuneration at the very latest at your next review.
    • #17
      Members SIMMO SAYS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2012
      Location
      Incommunicado
      Posts
      10,299


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by bn9 bha View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      They want you to put out the bins, but are giving you a fancy title and extra paperwork for doing it.
      When asked I tell people my job:

      Installs, maintains, and repairs pipes and fixtures associated with heating, cooling, water distribution, and sanitation systems in residential and commercial structures. Fixes domestic appliances, such as dishwashers and gas cookers. Inspects drainage and other plumbing systems for compliance with local and national regulations.

      Plumber Job Duties:
      Interprets blueprints and building specifications to map layout for pipes, drainage systems, and other plumbing materials
      Installs pipes and fixtures, such as sinks and toilets, for water, gas, steam, air, or other liquids
      Installs supports for pipes, equipment, and fixtures prior to installation
      Assembles fittings and valves for installation
      Modifies length of pipes, fixtures, and other plumbing materials as needed for a building
      Uses saws and pipe cutters as necessary
      Installs heating and air-conditioning systems, including water heaters
      Collaborates with contractors, construction workers, electricians, pipefitters, and steamfitters in installing and repairing plumbing
      Tests plumbing systems for leaks and other problems
      Analyses problem and identifies appropriate tools and materials for repair
      Chooses plumbing materials based on budget, location, and intended uses of building
      Follows health and safety standards and complies with building codes
      Writes report documenting the problem and summary of actions taken
      Performs inspections of plumbing systems to identify and replace worn parts
      Prepares bids and schedules and oversees other workers, such as apprentices and helpers
      Plumber Job Skills and Qualifications:
      Collaborative, Problem-Solving and Analytical Skills, Decision-Making Ability, Good Listening Skills, Strong Verbal Communication, Stress- and Time-Management Skills, Business and Accounting Skills, Customer-Service and Interpersonal Skills, Mechanical and Technical Skills, Physical Stamina and Strength, Excellent Trouble-Shooting Ability's.


      At the end of the day ----- just a Plumber

      Also Tiler & Kitchen fitter
      You know I'm right
    • #18
      Members Herr Tubthumper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      The Fatherland
      Posts
      43,473


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I work as a maintenance technician in a private hospital. There’s two of us looking after the building.
      Duties electrical, plumbing to medical gases plant room maintenance etc.
      However, they want to give me and my colleague an extra role within the hospital which has nothing to do at all with our current duties.
      The new roles are waste management and environmental officer.
      The roles mean completing all sorts of audits and paperwork in accordance with SEPA.
      can they impose these new roles upon us?
      As others have said it probably comes down to your contract. That said, do you have an issue with these new roles being “imposed” on you? Does it mean extra hours? Is it a higher level of responsibility which you feel you will not be appropriately compensated for? And do you feel you can have an honest and open conversation, without any recriminations, with your employers about any concerns?
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."
    • #19
      Sound of the Suburbs bn9 bha's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Newhaven SUSSEX BN9
      Posts
      11,825


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by SIMMO SAYS View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      When asked I tell people my job:

      Installs, maintains, and repairs pipes and fixtures associated with heating, cooling, water distribution, and sanitation systems in residential and commercial structures. Fixes domestic appliances, such as dishwashers and gas cookers. Inspects drainage and other plumbing systems for compliance with local and national regulations.

      Plumber Job Duties:
      Interprets blueprints and building specifications to map layout for pipes, drainage systems, and other plumbing materials
      Installs pipes and fixtures, such as sinks and toilets, for water, gas, steam, air, or other liquids
      Installs supports for pipes, equipment, and fixtures prior to installation
      Assembles fittings and valves for installation
      Modifies length of pipes, fixtures, and other plumbing materials as needed for a building
      Uses saws and pipe cutters as necessary
      Installs heating and air-conditioning systems, including water heaters
      Collaborates with contractors, construction workers, electricians, pipefitters, and steamfitters in installing and repairing plumbing
      Tests plumbing systems for leaks and other problems
      Analyses problem and identifies appropriate tools and materials for repair
      Chooses plumbing materials based on budget, location, and intended uses of building
      Follows health and safety standards and complies with building codes
      Writes report documenting the problem and summary of actions taken
      Performs inspections of plumbing systems to identify and replace worn parts
      Prepares bids and schedules and oversees other workers, such as apprentices and helpers
      Plumber Job Skills and Qualifications:
      Collaborative, Problem-Solving and Analytical Skills, Decision-Making Ability, Good Listening Skills, Strong Verbal Communication, Stress- and Time-Management Skills, Business and Accounting Skills, Customer-Service and Interpersonal Skills, Mechanical and Technical Skills, Physical Stamina and Strength, Excellent Trouble-Shooting Ability's.


      At the end of the day ----- just a Plumber

      Also Tiler & Kitchen fitter
      And that's just on a Monday
    • #20
      Sanity Clause vegster's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Posts
      18,017


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by moggy View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It’s not like that. They have porters and theatre porters for that.
      It’ll be more of PPMs, filling out loads of spreadsheets and preparing for audits.
      We are maintenance and no idea of stuff like this or do we have time for extra roles. We barely get time to complete PPMs on time with all other reactive works and repairs we do.
      You're lucky to have a job ...... ( joking )
      I had run 17 miles from Grayshades before the school leopard caught me.....

      " Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom "
      Terry Pratchett 1948 – 2015

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •