Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Locadia

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I simply do not understand how anyone can make a judgement based on the time on the pitch so far.

I'm making a judgement based on the amount of time he's not spent on the pitch so far. Hughton really hasn't fancied nor trusted him at all.

We should run a sweepstake on when this Summer there'll be an article in the Dutch press bemoaning the way he's been treated here, and a thinly-veiled "Come and get me" plea to Eredivisie clubs.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Must admit I don’t like that either. Save it for the tunnel when you are out of sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This hasn't helped matters I imagine. It's not nice to hear that you are a stepping stone for a dream move to man united either, and that his only other dream is to DJ in front of a big crowd. That's not me being precious, I don't think anyone wants to hear that do they?

Very few players with these kinds of attitudes end up being good enough to fulfill their 'dreams', most of them fade away because they aimed too high and realise they are not good enough.

Rather hear their dream is to play football and better themselves, at which point the move they want will come if they work hard enough.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm making a judgement based on the amount of time he's not spent on the pitch so far. Hughton really hasn't fancied nor trusted him at all.

We should run a sweepstake on when this Summer there'll be an article in the Dutch press bemoaning the way he's been treated here, and a thinly-veiled "Come and get me" plea to Eredivisie clubs.

This is kind of where I am. I haven't seen enough to make a judgement, but I've a feeling our coaching team and Chris have. I'm pretty sure Murray would have been rested more than he was if Chris would have fancied either Locadia or Ulloa would make us better. Will be interesting whether a full pre-season and time to settle here will make a big difference. No reason it can't, there have been many players who have taken more time than Locadia's had to settle then made an impact (Ronaldo springs to mind!).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wardy that is such a difficult question! [emoji2]

Initially, I was under the impression he was bought as a Murray replacement, but I also thought he was bigger and stronger.

Having seen him in the flesh, I think he looks more of a Baldock upgrade, cover for the wingers or even a number 10.

I’m sure there is a plan, but if Locadia plays as a winger, he’ll need to learn that Hughton does see them as needing to track back. Something Izquierdo has learnt.

It isn't a difficult question. Irrespective of whether Locadia is or is not a second striker, he won't be played as one, or only extremely minimally.
When CH came here, he indicated that 4-4-1-1 (or 4-2-3-1) was his preferred formation. He played 4-4-2 in the Championship for two seasons, as part of a movement towards that formation in the Championship. He's played it for about half an hour (against West Brom, when chasing the game) this season. Everything else has been 4-4-1-1 or even a more defensive 4-5-1 when defending a lead.
CH's comments about Locadia is that he played in a 4-3-3 formation in Holland, either wide left or up front. Both are different roles to what he expects in his 4-4-1-1 PL formation. Locadia has been given a start in both a wide left role and up-front in CH's PL formation, and doesn't look sufficiently focused or disciplined to perform either to the roles CH expects. He will be trained heavily into one or both of those roles over the summer.
There's little sign that CH will play two up-top next season, especially if we manage to keep Gross, who excels in the 'free' (although hard-working, disciplined) role. Do also keep in mind [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION]'s comment about CH and wide players.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Wardy that is such a difficult question! [emoji2]

Initially, I was under the impression he was bought as a Murray replacement, but I also thought he was bigger and stronger.

Having seen him in the flesh, I think he looks more of a Baldock upgrade, cover for the wingers or even a number 10.

I’m sure there is a plan, but if Locadia plays as a winger, he’ll need to learn that Hughton does see them as needing to track back. Something Izquierdo has learnt.

I think he is probably most likely to be a Baldock replacement who would use his pace and movement to worry the backs rather than the Murray/Ulloa style. If he is to do that on his own we need to change our style a bit, release the ball forward much more quickly than we do and keep it on the deck. I would like to see that style developed even if that is our plan b and we are probably a bit predictable. Time will tell I honestly hope I have to eat tons of humble pie on this thread, if I do then it will have been worth it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Chris likes two wide men. He has used it everywhere he has been. I don't see that changing. To be honest I like to see teams play two wide men, even although wide players are a breed of their own in that they seem to be less consistent.

Problem with our wide men is that they have adapted so well to their defensive duties that they don't get forward enough in many games. I think two improved backs might give them more ability to play wide.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Which is pointless, because we don't play Baldock, only a Murray/Ulloa style player.

Possibly but part of the reason we did not play Baldock this year was because of his injuries. If we had had Baldock fit then we might have had a plan B when the big striker option wasn't working. If he is that plan B option then good but I don't see him as a Murray replacement on what i have seen so far which like the rest of us is not too much.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Would you have left Murray out then?

He couldn't play when he arrived.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This hasn't helped matters I imagine. It's not nice to hear that you are a stepping stone for a dream move to man united either, and that his only other dream is to DJ in front of a big crowd. That's not me being precious, I don't think anyone wants to hear that do they?

Very few players with these kinds of attitudes end up being good enough to fulfill their 'dreams', most of them fade away because they aimed too high and realise they are not good enough.

Rather hear their dream is to play football and better themselves, at which point the move they want will come if they work hard enough.

Yes that irked me as well at the time. I mean it worked out really well for Memphis Depuy (or whatever his name was)!!

The trouble (IMO), with Dutch players is that they play in a league that is slower, less physical and probably not much better than mid-table championship. Of course there are the PSV's and Ajax's, but isn't it just living on the back on Cruyth, Neeskens, et al and more latterly Gullit, Van Basten, Koeman, Bergkamp etc...? When in reality it is crap.

They then come over to the PL thinking they'll stand out and the bottom line is since Van Persie, very few have (VVD aside). (We are lucky with Propper). I'm sure someone will come out with a whole host of them but I can't think of any at the minute.

I still say give Locadia a pre-season and a run of games, because IMO it remains too early.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It isn't a difficult question. Irrespective of whether Locadia is or is not a second striker, he won't be played as one, or only extremely minimally.
When CH came here, he indicated that 4-4-1-1 (or 4-2-3-1) was his preferred formation. He played 4-4-2 in the Championship for two seasons, as part of a movement towards that formation in the Championship. He's played it for about half an hour (against West Brom, when chasing the game) this season. Everything else has been 4-4-1-1 or even a more defensive 4-5-1 when defending a lead.
CH's comments about Locadia is that he played in a 4-3-3 formation in Holland, either wide left or up front. Both are different roles to what he expects in his 4-4-1-1 PL formation. Locadia has been given a start in both a wide left role and up-front in CH's PL formation, and doesn't look sufficiently focused or disciplined to perform either to the roles CH expects. He will be trained heavily into one or both of those roles over the summer.
There's little sign that CH will play two up-top next season, especially if we manage to keep Gross, who excels in the 'free' (although hard-working, disciplined) role. Do also keep in mind [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION]'s comment about CH and wide players.

Yes I understand all of that, but on that basis, if it is that 'black and white' - why sign him? (That is why its a difficult question)

As per my post, I thought he would be more of a physical specimen than he is and a Murray replacement, but he isn't. So what do you think he is?

Is he a replacement for Knockaert or Izquierdo? Still looks more of a Baldock type to me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Possibly but part of the reason we did not play Baldock this year was because of his injuries. If we had had Baldock fit then we might have had a plan B when the big striker option wasn't working. If he is that plan B option then good but I don't see him as a Murray replacement on what i have seen so far which like the rest of us is not too much.

There is part of me that would still like to see Baldock given a chance, but it does seem unlikely.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yes I understand all of that, but on that basis, if it is that 'black and white' - why sign him? (That is why its a difficult question)

As per my post, I thought he would be more of a physical specimen than he is and a Murray replacement, but he isn't. So what do you think he is?

Is he a replacement for Knockaert or Izquierdo? Still looks more of a Baldock type to me.

I feel he was signed with half an eye on the situation were we to be relegated. A sort of insurance. I reckon he would do well with a good side in the Championship. I do not see how he fits in as a starter with a 4 4 1 1

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I feel he was signed with half an eye on the situation were we to be relegated. A sort of insurance. I reckon he would do well with a good side in the Championship. I do not see how he fits in as a starter with a 4 4 1 1

I would be amazed if BHAFC paid a record fee for a player they thought was only Championship standard

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Does concern me that he's patently not fully focussed on his football. Hopefully come good with a brutal fitness beasting in pre-season, but jury's currently out as to whether he's yet another Dutch slacker from a piss-poor European league.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here