Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Locadia

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On a level I agree, because none of us have properly seen what he can offer.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that transfer doesn't work out.
He sure as hell doesn't look anything like the player in that montage, irrespective of the opposition.

I just don't understand the dogs abuse he's getting esp on the back of yesterday's team (and management) performance.

Oh do cut the crap. This is what you said:

Stat Brother said:
I'm absolutely loving this new found FACT that:-

- he can't play as a loan striker
- he can't play 4-4-1-1
- he needs a big man up top with him.
- he can't defend.

If only there was some evidence to the contrary:-

You're not agreeing "on a level" at all - you're just self-righteously attempting to rubbish anyone who has been unimpressed with him whilst citing those reasons by posting an irrelevant video of him scoring goals against The Kings Arms.

And now you're saying he doesn't look like the player in the montage. No shìt sherlock. So why bother posting it then, FFS? What value did your post offer here if all you're going to do is tell everyone that the proof of him being a good player is in the montage and then an hour later apparently tell us that the player we've got doesn't look like the player in the montage? We KNOW that. So clearly you're wrong - that montage doesn't prove anything.

Meanwhile, people like you and [MENTION=12486]Husty[/MENTION] seem happy to consider these people idiots, yet haven't bothered to tell us what YOU DO actually see in him. Why don't either of you initiate a discussion by telling us where the chink of light might be, instead of tediously belittling those who are questioning his performances so far? Have some conviction in what you post instead of mindlessly bending with the wind every time someone calls you out for a crap post, and people might actually respect you for it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

You're not agreeing "on a level" at all - you're just self-righteously attempting to rubbish anyone who has been unimpressed with him whilst citing those reasons by posting an irrelevant video of him scoring goals against The Kings Arms.

And now you're saying he doesn't look like the player in the montage. No shìt sherlock. So why bother posting it then, FFS? What value did your post offer here if all you're going to do is tell everyone that the proof of him being a good player is in the montage and then an hour later apparently tell us that the player we've got doesn't look like the player in the montage? We KNOW that. So clearly you're wrong - that montage doesn't prove anything.

Meanwhile, people like you and [MENTION=12486]Husty[/MENTION] seem happy to consider these people idiots, yet haven't bothered to tell us what YOU DO actually see in him. Why don't either of you initiate a discussion by telling us where the chink of light might be, instead of tediously belittling those who are questioning his performances so far? Have some conviction in what you post instead of mindlessly bending with the wind every time someone calls you out for a crap post, and people might actually respect you for it.

Its not about what I do or don't see in him, its about having the intelligence to realise that even in the relatively short time I've been following the Albion that there are dozens of players who have had a poor few games at the start and gone on to be brilliant for us, so whilst he hasn't set the world alight in his first few appearances I'm able to recognise this doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of things and not get my knickers in a soggy mess over it. You're being one of the idiots yourself by demanding to know what I do see in him after however many minutes hes been on the pitch as though that's an adequate time to form a good opinion - it isn't. Some of us are more than happy to give players the time to bed in and prove themselves.

Where would we be now if we'd binned Hughton off after 5 games because he didn't net us 15 points from them?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Its not about what I do or don't see in him, its about having the intelligence to realise that even in the relatively short time I've been following the Albion that there are dozens of players who have had a poor few games at the start and gone on to be brilliant for us
Funnily enough, I've got enough intelligence to realise that too, as has HKFC.

But you don't seem to have the intelligence to see that HKFC expressing his opinion on what he's seen so far of Locadia is not the same thing as HKFC writing him off forever. This is message board. If someone points out that he hasn't tracked back, he's been played in two positions and failed to impress in either, Hughton has seen fit not to start him regularly, he doesn't make convincing runs, and he can't look after the ball when it does go to him, then I think they are interesting points of discussion.

I'll repeat what I asked before, what do you see in him that might provide hope for his future here? I'm genuinely interested in this, rather than your rubbishing of anyone who isn't impressed so far.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Based on what I've seen so far, he doesn't look like a Hughton kind of player at all. He seriously needs to up his work rate - it's been painfully obvious in the games I've seen him play that he doesn't track back or defend properly when it's needed, and it's costs us goals a couple of times. Thankfully, that can be worked on.

Haven't really seen many shots from him, so hard to judge his finishing ability. However, it's pretty concerning that he doesn't seem very fast. Given his limited playing time, it's hard to give an opinion on anything else.

Izquierdo has undoubtedly improved as the season has gone on, but for me he looked quality from the first moment I saw him. There's not really anything that excites me about Locadia, so far. Hopefully next season he'll be able to show more, once he's integrated better.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I keep going back to my assessment of Izquierdo just before Christmas, when honestly, I thought we had wasted our money and it turned out I was too quick to judge.

Locadia hasn't had many games to get some rhythm going and being played out wide didn't help him at all IMHO. That is not to say I'm not concerned, but I won't judge him more fully until perhaps October. If he hasn't started regularly or at least put in some more encouraging performances by then we have a problem.

IMHO we will ship out Hemed and let Leo go back to Leicester so we will sign another £10m+ striker to ease the burden.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Locadia has been watching Glenn Murray and the way the Albion play since the New Year. Indeed, this side have been playing this formation for the last 3 seasons. Therefore, when he gets his chance I expect him to know what his role in the team is and where he needs to be playing. That wasn't the case yesterday.

This signing is now beginning to look very odd. I don't see how he fits into our style of play. When he's played well for us - and in the YouTube highlight reel - it's when he's making runs into the channels, or dragging defenders over the place. Contrast this with the roles that Ulloa and Murray have played for us, which is to stick to a central position, hold the ball up, defend from the front and defend at corners.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The point of posting that video was to say there would seem to be a quality player in there, despite the fact we are yet to see him.
He would seem comfortable playing as a lone forward, as well as tracking back.
All of which has been rubbished by some on here.
But he also seems like a shadow of that player.

If he doesn't work out then so be it, but at the moment while the jury is out what's the point of trashing him, when it's been done to every new signing all of which have turned out to be better than expected.

Also trashing Jurgen is a backhanded dig at the manager and recruitment team both of which have earned considerably more backing than yesterday's game.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Have we got rid yet, or what? ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The point of posting that video was to say there would seem to be a quality player in there, despite the fact we are yet to see him.
He would seem comfortable playing as a lone forward, as well as tracking back.
All of which has been rubbished by some on here.
But he also seems like a shadow of that player.
Sorry, run that by me again. You want me to believe that you posting a YouTube video of him scoring against various small EreDivisie team possibly posted by a 12 year old is proof that he is comfortable playing as a lone forward and tracking back? Er, HOW?

If he doesn't work out then so be it, but at the moment while the jury is out what's the point of trashing him, when it's been done to every new signing all of which have turned out to be better than expected.

Also trashing Jurgen is a backhanded dig at the manager and recruitment team both of which have earned considerably more backing than yesterday's game.
Who is "trashing him" then? Are we not allowed to point out deficiencies in his performances to date? You seem to think anyone with a negative view of his performances so far is "trashing him". And there is nothing "backhanded" at the criticim of either manager or recruitment team in pointing at that there might be room for improvement in Locadia's performances to date. They've both been applauded for many months now (and with good reason) but if either makes a mistake, can we be allowed to say as we find and actually discuss it on here without you tedious, bone-headed happy-clappy twatterati laying into people for daring to suggest he might not be worth the FIFTEEEN MILLION POUNDS the club paid for him unless performances improve?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Blimey, the immediate polarization of arguments that the internet causes is absolutely rife here.

"Hasn't been up to it in training"? Unless you watch all our training sessions you can't know that. It's likely that Murray has seen he has competition and has upped his game. Locadia may have trained well but Murray slightly harder. And Murray is more suited to 4-4-1-1 AND Hughton is notoriously cautious, tending to stick with a starting XI that he's comfortable with. What's more when he has branched out - Chelsea at home, yesterday - it's gone incredibly badly, results wise, so he's right to do so.

Nor did Locadia get any support at all yesterday. Our passing was shithouse and we totally crumbled under pressure. We had 28% of the ball according to the BBC and I reckon they've overegged that. And then, what happened when we did get it forward? March froze on the spot, or Knockaert turned in to trouble or Kayal got knocked off it or Schelotto fell over his own puppy-dog legs again FFS. With no Gross we had no outlet and we coped with the pressure about as well as a nun with anxiety issues.

That's not to say ANYONE is writing off Locadia. With a decent preseason, a bit of strength work, maybe another signing to gee him up plus the chance to work with Gross in pre-season matches we could see a different player.

But I am slightly nervous of HKFC, Simster and Bold Seagull's assessment of him, as normally all three are decent posters with an eye for a player (or not). There is no doubt that even with all the mitigating factors above, Locadia has had a very weak start to his Albion career. But there ARE mitigating factors.

A great post.

I have said I am concerned about Locadia based on what I have seen and then you find that if you offer critical comment you said to writing people off or rubbishing them. Not at all, I am making comments on what I have seen and find it difficult to feel happy with what I have seen so far or how he will fit in.

Hopefully the guy will turn out brilliant for us.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Still seem him more effective as a winger for us, he simply can't play lone striker, I can't see how they can convert him to that..... But you never know.

Whats really cringe about him is the sucking up to big players that he does. VVD yesterday, Lukaku the other week and a few more on social media. Mate you haven't earned that right yet. You ain't made it. Attitude doesn't fit with our team ethic.

Hopefully he comes back all guns blazing after pre season and is a new player .....but so far looking like a
Strange and slightly desperate signing.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
And all the knockers have seen enough of Locadia in his very limited game time to make the decision that he is lazy and not motivated. I haven’t seen him play with any support at all yet, apart from the Coventry game where he delivered.

I don’t disagree... early days.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
On a level I agree, because none of us have properly seen what he can offer.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that transfer doesn't work out.

Given you think Hughton is the most “striker conservative manager” (whatever that means) and Albion are the most “inept striker signing club” (what ever ?) then I guess you’d be sent into a state of unparalleled shock and amazement if it did.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can't wait till the end of next season when gets player of the season

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I saw the fire in the sky,
As my burning ship passed by,
The smoke hurt my eyes,
Never saw such beauty...

And thus the clouds cried.

Purple flowers hove into view,
Glistening in the sun,
Awash with the new morns dew,
Something strange I once knew...

And thus the four winds blew...

All at sea, Odysseus fated,
Scorn of the blue God,
Never knew such hatred...

Alas...

The lust of the many can never be placated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Given you think Hughton is the most “striker conservative manager” (whatever that means) and Albion are the most “inept striker signing club” (what ever ?) then I guess you’d be sent into a state of unparalleled shock and amazement if it did.
Having played half the season with a striker force of Murray and Hemed and scoring 34 goals in 38 games, I guess the club is fortunate it has such low bars to clear next season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Having played half the season with a striker force of Murray and Hemed and scoring 34 goals in 38 games, I guess the club is fortunate it has such low bars to clear next season.

You’ll get over Leon Best one day SB but clearly not yet.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here