Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Locadia

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Exactly, this is ridiculous. Ulloa was hopeless vs Burnley, and received minimal criticism. Over Christmas, Murray spent most of the games, standing offside.

Locadia, came to us injured, has had barely any games to get match fit, been used as a wide player, (when I'm not sure that's his preferred position), then gets a chance against Liverpool, when his nearest support player is 30-40 yards away. What do people expect?

Pulled the ball down beautifully on one occasion and was then outpaced by an ?£75million defender........

Needs a pre-season, needs Gross to start, a run of games, then perhaps people can make a more 'informed' judgement.

Oh and Ryan was crap after 3 games, Gross is too slow and Izquierdo is a waste of money. FFS!!!

My concern with Locadia is that he needed to have a physical presence and hassle their CBs and he got nowhere near it, that's not being match fit that is down to attitude. He needs to spend time with Murray. Agree he was on his own and that did not help him today but looking at the way we play then he will be expected to play on his own as Murray often has during this season. Maybe he will be part of a plan B formation e.g. a proper 442 but that is not how we have been playing. Let's see how he does pre-season but we need to be getting a couple of forwards in as well.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Given no chance today but did look bad. So we've learnt he's not a one man team and worth a few billion. Capable of single handedly scoring 5 goals against the Champions League finalists with his team-mates 30 yards away.

Maybe now we can chill and realise he was better than Murray today. That benchmark is just fine for me next season.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not a player who can play up top on his own. Pointless signing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember many thinking Murray was lazy and disinterested when he first came here, and we were in the third tier then.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Not a player who can play up top on his own. Pointless signing

You can't judge him on one showing. Away to Man Utd in the cup he did very well.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He was at times.

And all the knockers have seen enough of Locadia in his very limited game time to make the decision that he is lazy and not motivated. I haven’t seen him play with any support at all yet, apart from the Coventry game where he delivered.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
One showing ? Think you might want to check his appearances out.

Classic NSC, writing off a player without giving him a chance. See Matt Ryan, José Izquierdo and others.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One showing ? Think you might want to check his appearances out.

So in one game against a quality team really going for it to seal a Champions' league place he didn't do much. In one match against Man Utd he was a fairly constant and real threat. The Man Utd match would seem to indicate he wasn't a pointless signing. That's all I'm saying.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My concern with Locadia is that he needed to have a physical presence and hassle their CBs and he got nowhere near it, that's not being match fit that is down to attitude. He needs to spend time with Murray. Agree he was on his own and that did not help him today but looking at the way we play then he will be expected to play on his own as Murray often has during this season. Maybe he will be part of a plan B formation e.g. a proper 442 but that is not how we have been playing. Let's see how he does pre-season but we need to be getting a couple of forwards in as well.

Sorry, I don’t agree at all.

Surely, you can only pressure CB’s if they have the ball?

We were camped in our own last third for the majority of the first half.

That is nothing to do with attitude.

If we are playing a pressure game, then, yes he would need to be the ‘trigger’ man, but normally that would only apply when the FB’s have the ball, and then we would hunt in packs. We tried to maintain a 4-5-1 shape, and as a team were awful.

I would also suggest, that yesterday, was the first time we have with anyone that isolated. As per my other post, he is never going to hold the ball up like Ulloa or Murray, and I don’t think that’s his game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think he would have had a better first half than Locadia and moved his arse to try and stop the cross coming in for their second goal.

Just so we're clear, you wouldn't have expected Murray to have made any impact in the Liverpool half of the pitch, with that team selection against such opposition.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Or even swapping Kayal and Propper over

In the pub when we saw the team we assumed Kayal would be more holding and Propper would be in the Gross role. found it odd that it was the other way round when Propper has played more advanced for Holland

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Amazing how people on here never learn their lesson.

Yeah let’s write off Locadia after three starts in the league, one of which he was asked to play as a winger and defend in one of our worst team defending performances of the season (Palace) and then play up top on his own against a Champions League finalist when our players struggled and kept giving the ball away.

To judge what he can bring to the team after those two games is mental, He needs to adapt his game and find a way to use his strengths and get used to the physicality of the premier league.

I’m sure it’s the same people who wrote off Groß, Propper, Jose and Mat Ryan this season

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In the light of day I don't think Hughton can win here. He clearly wanted to see what both Ulloa and Locadia could actually do starting in that role. Unfortunately, we weren't safe enough to do it until the only matches we had left were City and Liverpool away!

Locadia looked pretty good against Coventry - but that's Coventry. He looked pretty poor against Livepool - but that's Liverpool, without the support of Gross to boot. He clearly needs to work on his heading by his own admission and he needs to be stronger but those are things to work on in the close season. Hughton may well have already know those were things he needs to work on but, by playing him, he's demonstrated it to the player himself.

Picking him yesterday may well be a decent move in the long run. All of us would have taken 15th and 40 points at the start of the season, right? It's annoying when you go that far away, many for the weekend, and the team don't turn up, but it's possibly written a few training plans and Tony's shopping list.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Amazing how people on here never learn their lesson.

Yeah let’s write off Locadia after three starts in the league, one of which he was asked to play as a winger and defend in one of our worst team defending performances of the season (Palace) and then play up top on his own against a Champions League finalist when our players struggled and kept giving the ball away.

To judge what he can bring to the team after those two games is mental, He needs to adapt his game and find a way to use his strengths and get used to the physicality of the premier league.

I’m sure it’s the same people who wrote off Groß, Propper, Jose and Mat Ryan this season

So you might as well keep going because one day you'll be right and that'll validate everything.

See the Schelotto bounce, for further proof.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Locadia can't play as a lone striker - he needs a partner upfront to play off. I don't think CH envisaged him playing him as the sole striker role as he doesnt have the height or strength to do this. Will be interesting to see who plays alongside him next season presuming CH will change from 4-5-1 to more of a 4-4-2 to try to get the best out of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here