Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clatterburg on timewasting

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would suggest that he does it more than most or perhaps it appears so because we see more of him than other keepers.

It’s because we shut up shop if we are winning at The Amex and take the piss as much if not more than the other sides in the Premier

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would definitely like to see a sinbin so you pay for your yellow card in the CURRENT game not 3 weeks later.

I also think a mandatory 5 mins off the pitch for players who are injured i.e. they roll around like they are dying then just get up as if they are Lazarus. This is controversial I know so might need some tweaking.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Clattenburg is an attention seeking pratt! He's talking completely out of his arse because when he was in this country how did he implement the laws of the game to prevent time wasting? How often did he give an indirect free kick when a keeper has the ball in his hands for more than six seconds? How many times did he book a time wasting keeper in the first half rather than in the last couple of minutes? How many times did he actually add on the correct amount of added time to reflect time wasting.

Ineffectual refereeing is endemic at the top level and explains in part why no refs from the premier league are at the World Cup.

It's a ludicrous suggesting regarding giving a corner. The goalkeeper has 6 seconds and if he doesn't release it you should get an indirect free kick which would be in the penalty area. If he wastes time taking goal kicks then book him on the second occasion he does it and on the third, send him off. Start doing that and it will stop. As for the throw ins, players make mugs out of the official by constantly gaining yards. Don't tell them to go back, as soon as they throw it in from obviously the wrong position then you give the throw to the other side. I believe they can do that already but how many times do you see it?

The BBC report pretty much confirms refs have no idea about time keeping. Football is a 90 minute game so lets see 90 minutes of play. Independent time keepers and don't reduce it to 60 minutes.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
ORRRR you do the logical thing. Just stop the watch every time the ball is out of play...

His logic would just add more controversy and most uncertainty when football should be moving towards less of both.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
In the Boro Villa game today an 'injured' Villa player managed to hobble back onto th pitch where he collapsed (hamstring I think they said), that was blatent timewasting if he was genuinly injured how did he manage to hobble back onto the pitch? should be automatic yellow injured or not.

Knockaert did something similar against Man U. He got tackled and ended up just off the pitch with an ‘injury’ and while he was down rolled back onto the pitch. :lol:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Used to like the 10 yard rule if players surrounded the ref questioning his decision. Seemed to die a death though. Should have kept it for a few seasons

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Used to like the 10 yard rule if players surrounded the ref questioning his decision. Seemed to die a death though. Should have kept it for a few seasons

It was rubbish, and offered little advantage, especially when a free-kick was awarded 25 yards from goal and moved forward to the edge.

Football really should stop trying to play to the rules of rugby (or cricket).

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
That would be eliminated if this was implemented. No point in time wasting.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40993250

30min halves sounds shit and is scrapping one of the most traditional things associated with football.

Just scrap injury time and stop the clock when the ball goes out the bylines, since most time is wasted by keepers. Stop also for substitutions and injuries. The referee can see to any excessive time wasting on the touchline by reversing the throw each time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What next? A yellow card for hoofing the ball into row Z?
Penalising a team for passing it around the defenders to slow the game down?

If you boot the ball into row z, you are not committing an infringement of the laws of the game, you are gifting the opposition possession.
If you pass the ball around the defenders slowly, you are not committing an infringement of the laws of the game, the ball is in play and there to be won by the opposition.
If you waste time with goalkicks/throw-ins you are committing an infringement of the laws of the game, the offence being delaying the restart of the game. The ball is in your possession, and isn't there to be won by the opposition because they have to stay outside the box/12 yards away from the throw. It's completely different.

The issue Clattenberg is raising is that the punishment for committing the offence of delaying the restart of the game is ineffective and can in many case aid in the delaying of the restart helping the offending team further.

(Or have I just been wooshed?)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you boot the ball into row z, you are not committing an infringement of the laws of the game, you are gifting the opposition possession.
If you pass the ball around the defenders slowly, you are not committing an infringement of the laws of the game, the ball is in play and there to be won by the opposition.
If you waste time with goalkicks/throw-ins you are committing an infringement of the laws of the game, the offence being delaying the restart of the game. The ball is in your possession, and isn't there to be won by the opposition because they have to stay outside the box/12 yards away from the throw. It's completely different.

The issue Clattenberg is raising is that the punishment for committing the offence of delaying the restart of the game is ineffective and can in many case aid in the delaying of the restart helping the offending team further.

(Or have I just been wooshed?)

Nope, no whoosh at all, thats exactly what MC is saying. A yellow card for a slovenly keeper who is taking forever at the arse-end of a game to get the ball back in play is no punishment at all. He knows it'll never turn into a red, at worst he'd get a "final warning" if he carried on and did it again. They are cheating the fans out of the final moments of the game (and yes, I know it cuts both ways and we all endorse it if we're clinging on to a 1 goal lead, but thats not the point).

You'd only need to have a few corners awarded for keepers to get the message and stop taking the piss. As it stands, they're in a win/win in that they'll bleed off the time fully in the knowledge they'll never actually get punished.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
What was wrong with the old rule of 6 secs could that not have been adapted rather than scrapped

I agree, as soon as the ball is down, the keeper has 6 seconds to kick it. If not yellow card and indirect free-kick from 6 yard box.

When I used to ref, if I thought a keeper was taking the P I used to warn them and then put my arm up and counted up to six. If I got to 7 it was a booking and free-kick. Never had any issues and everyone knew what was going on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I meant more if I was missing some sarcasm from Thunder Bolt, rather than being wooshed by Clattenberg.

Yes, there was sarcasm. I can remember a team at Withdean complaining to the ref about Ankergren passing it around at the back, and the ref saying, the ball is in play, go and get it. It might have been Charlton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here