Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] King and Queen for the Iiverpool game

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Sussex will never be an all Albion county. There will always be adults and kids here with a love for ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Who might enjoy watching their club down the pub with like-minded mates. I know many blokes born and bred in Sussex who are long distance fans of those clubs or who share season tickets and travel up. Quite a few of them also care about the Albion as their second club, and some go to home games since the Amex was built.

It's a free country. What's the problem?

I’m not sure there’s a problem as such, personally I just don’t understand the mindset of these ‘fans’. To me football is something you go along to watch, in a stadium, you’re there to support your team. Being a fan isn’t defined by having the latest shirt. Football isn’t a tv show.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
is it that they don't go to games or that they don't support Brighton that is the issue?

At the city game I met a group of Scottish lads who support Brighton and go to the games in the north when they can get tickets.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bit pompous there Al. What's the problem with the place? It's big, plenty of screens, reasonable beer, central to town. There are worse places to watch a game in town. Plus they've been good to the REMF, even in the past couple of weeks. But go right ahead, by all means give us your best reasons as to why they offend your sensibilities.

It's a student bar which caters primarily for 'Big Six' fans and football tourists. I've been in there when Brighton have been live on the box, and they've show Manchester United instead. It's hardly a 'Brighton' pub, so as a Brighton fan, it's not a place to go.

It lacks soul, decent beer and - somewhat bizarrely for a TV fans' football bar - atmosphere.

Nothing pompous about my point - it's a miserable place. I assume you're offering the same 'pompous' tag to those who've given the post a thumbs up. If you feel so offended by my apparent pomposity, by all means offer them your patronage.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I clearly get supporting a non local club because of family allegiances

But this lot obviously only support Liverpool because they are a big club. How exciting that some of them have actually had the opportunity to go to Anfield - must be so exciting to go to an actual game.

What bunch of utter .........s

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
is it that they don't go to games or that they don't support Brighton that is the issue?

At the city game I met a group of Scottish lads who support Brighton and go to the games in the north when they can get tickets.

And that's why the two are not comparable.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sussex will never be an all Albion county. There will always be adults and kids here with a love for ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Who might enjoy watching their club down the pub with like-minded mates. I know many blokes born and bred in Sussex who are long distance fans of those clubs or who share season tickets and travel up. Quite a few of them also care about the Albion as their second club, and some go to home games since the Amex was built.

I know they are a bit geographically closer, but during the Saints match on the telly the other night I saw a banner with "Eastbourne Saints" on it. I am a Brighton fan (and STH) living in Hampshire, and I am not alone in that. I had a conversation with someone wearing a Seagulls hoodie in our local Waitrose a couple of weeks ago.

But I suppose if you travel to matches, you are more of a real fan........

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know they are a bit geographically closer, but during the Saints match on the telly the other night I saw a banner with "Eastbourne Saints" on it. I am a Brighton fan (and STH) living in Hampshire, and I am not alone in that. I had a conversation with someone wearing a Seagulls hoodie in our local Waitrose a couple of weeks ago.

But I suppose if you travel to matches, you are more of a real fan........

I had a chat with a chap in 'your' Waitrose a few weeks back, because he was wearing an Albion coat. Turns out he was the 'new' U18 coach, Mike Harris. He moved to the Albion from Portsmouth, so I guess he lives in our neck of the woods.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I had a chat with a chap in 'your' Waitrose a few weeks back, because he was wearing an Albion coat. Turns out he was the 'new' U18 coach, Mike Harris. He moved to the Albion from Portsmouth, so I guess he lives in our neck of the woods.

Did you beg him for a trial?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

They attribute themselves to success, that's the problem. It's as though they haven't gotten past their childhood.

If somebody feels 'connected' to Barnet from afar, it will be equally mystifying but certainly perceived as more sincere.

These absolute weapons only support clubs that are in the upper echelons of world football, and in my book that is not being a fan. It's just following a club because they like their current crop of players, manager, or current success. When there's a new crop and/or the success stagnates, what is left? Some contrived story about 'always supporting' x club that bores me absolutely shitless, that's if they haven't switched to the new Man City at that stage. The 'my dad's an x fan' is just as bad, just because you're old man is an excruciating tool doesn't mean you have to follow suit.

I do feel sorry for the Sussex based ones though, to have had a club round the corner they could have seen rise 4 divisions and be competing at the top now while they've been faux supporting Liverpool in front of a TV screen for years with scarf aloft singing along to that absolute dirge. They will never, ever get to experience the sheer joy of overcoming the largest of odds.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
They attribute themselves to success, that's the problem. It's as though they haven't gotten past their childhood.

If somebody feels 'connected' to Barnet from afar, it will be equally mystifying but certainly perceived as more sincere.

These absolute weapons only support clubs that are in the upper echelons of world football, and in my book that is not being a fan. It's just following a club because they like their current crop of players, manager, or current success. When there's a new crop and/or the success stagnates, what is left? Some contrived story about 'always supporting' x club that bores me absolutely shitless, that's if they haven't switched to the new Man City at that stage. The 'my dad's an x fan' is just as bad, just because you're old man is an excruciating tool doesn't mean you have to follow suit.

I do feel sorry for the Sussex based ones though, to have had a club round the corner they could have seen rise 4 divisions and be competing at the top now while they've been faux supporting Liverpool in front of a TV screen for years with scarf aloft singing along to that absolute dirge. They will never, ever get to experience the sheer joy of overcoming the largest of odds.
Well said,

Disagree with the dad part though. If my family hadn't moved south back in the 70's i certainly wouldn't be supporting the Albion. As it goes my old man supports a different club to me and my brother supports a different club to the both of us.

Last edited:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom

Excellent post and you dealt with the quoted post far more eloquently than I would. I'd have just used the 'fishing' emoji...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Well said,

Disagree with the dad part though. If my family hadn't move south back in the 70's i certainly wouldn't be supporting the Albion. As it goes my old man supports a different club to me and my brother supports a different club to the both of us.

Fair enough, I wasn't too serious with that part, I do appreciate the influence family can have.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Bit pompous there Al. What's the problem with the place? It's big, plenty of screens, reasonable beer, central to town. There are worse places to watch a game in town. Plus they've been good to the REMF, even in the past couple of weeks. But go right ahead, by all means give us your best reasons as to why they offend your sensibilities.

No, it might be a bit 'boy who cried wolf' in relation to pomposity, but he's absolute spot on here. The K&Q is an absolute abortion of a pub and the plastic bin dipping victim ***** are welcome to it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My 17 year old isn't bad, as it goes...

(As for myself, I did see they were holding open trials for keepers a while back. Never say never :thumbsup: )

Always worth a punt. I quite fancy making my comeback in vets football one day!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here