Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] King and Queen for the Iiverpool game

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Man City , yes Man Utd always .... not many glory hunting Reds since the mid 80’s.

Oh give over. Liverpool are still one of the premium names and biggest most successful clubs in english football, even if they haven't won the League for donkeys. Sky Sports and the media in general still have a permanent hard-on for them, hence the incessant misty-eyed tributes about those "special nights at Anfield" they pump out ad-infinitum, and the borderline mythical status they constantly endow on that club, even if they are only ever usually battling for 4th these days.

Those of a more pliable, easily influenced mindset, the kind of people who mouth the words when they read, are so easily susceptible to this kind of media brainwashing. Hence the number of slack-jawed goons we get, resplendent in their JJB replica red costumes, camping out in front of the TV in pubs up and down the country all pretending to be "diehard fans" of LFC when actually, they're just very, very sad.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Man City , yes Man Utd always .... not many glory hunting Reds since the mid 80’s.

You and I both know that success is measured today as qualification for European football and how many millions of pounds are spent on players. You don't need to win anything anymore to be glory hunted by a bunch of desperately embarassing goons.

Not to mention the incessant romance the media has always had with liverpool in my living memory which is bound to reel in the overly impressionable in their thousands.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was in there last Sunday evening for the REMF pool competition thing.

I got there around 7 and all the banners and flags etc were being put away from the Chelsea v Liverpool game that had not long since finished.

I do find it all a little bit strange.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m not sure there’s a problem as such, personally I just don’t understand the mindset of these ‘fans’. To me football is something you go along to watch, in a stadium, you’re there to support your team. Being a fan isn’t defined by having the latest shirt. Football isn’t a tv show.

Purely in numbers terms, for all those who watch football live in a stadium every other weekend, there are many millions more who watch football avidly on BT, Sky and MOTD. For them, it is a TV show and always was.

There's also a particular historical aspect in Sussex. Just 7 years ago the Albion played in a stadium with 8,000 gates. Out of a conurbation of 300,000 people and 1,600,000 in the county. We on NSC might have been going to Withdean, but most football loving people in the county had little interest. Brighton's parks had kids running around with Chelsea, ManU, Arsenal and Liverpool tops on. This has changed massively in the Chris Hughton era, but it will take a generation at least for the Albion to dominate families.

Finally, through work, our kids schools, friends, friends of friends, I know loads of blokes and their kids in Brighton and Hove who are diehard fans of Arsenal and Chelsea. Some go to their occasional games, some share s/t's and others never go at all. A few go to Albion Amex matches of late, as their second club. I'm talking large numbers, which isn't surprising in a 300,000 city and after 25 years of Sky and Champions League hype. If someone from NSC told them to support the Albion instead, they'd tell them to mind their own business.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Final game away to Forest, biggest game we had to get into the playoffs. the K&Q turned Forest v Brighton off the main screens so there were only a couple upstairs by the pool table and a small one back of the bar, because they wanted to show PREMIER LEAGUE so put on a meaningless game between West Ham and Stoke or something. God knows why I was in there in the first place, but vowed then never to go in again.

I was there that day but the big screen at the left of the bar had it on.i clearly remember it wasn't any where near packed maybe about 50 people all Albion though.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't agree with most of this

Brighton has got people from all over the country and all over the world in. I don't expect them to stop supporting whoever they supported when they get here.

I also don't expect 100% of Sussex born kids to support the Albion, though it's wonderful that so many do now.

I also don't agree that if they don't go to games (and we don't know that they never do) that makes them somehow inferior. Though as someone very correctly pointed out, you get out of football what you put in. How much you are prepared to put in is entirely up to the individual.

Lastly, I think the King and Queen is a brilliant pub, (a minority view I know). A cavernous, mock-tudor, beer sodden, melting pot. Go to any world cup game there. It's easily the best place in Brighton for it. So as a random example, South Korea v Sweden will have 100 Korea and 100 Sweden fans in there all having a laugh and sing song and loving the footy .... The England games though you kind of have to swerve the "no Surrender" mob.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
We should all go and support our second team Real Madrid at the KQ for the European Cup Final. After all most of us have had a pint of San Miguel so Real can be our second team.

What a bunch of tw@ts!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Lastly, I think the King and Queen is a brilliant pub, (a minority view I know).

I never much liked the King & Queen, but do remember laughing very much in there one evening years ago when we ended up finding ourselves drinking at a karaoke evening. It seemed clear that the event was regularly dominated by a group of stage school types who one by one took the stage to out-Whitney each other on power ballad after power ballad, only for the whole pub to turn on them and give the top prize to two drunk lads, whose version of an Elvis song comprised of no singing whatsoever, just knee trembling and intermittent side mumbling of 'Thankyouverymuch.' The big group of losers were quite vocally disappointed which made it all the funnier.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Brighton has got people from all over the country and all over the world in. I don't expect them to stop supporting whoever they supported when they get here.

I also don't expect 100% of Sussex born kids to support the Albion, though it's wonderful that so many do now.

I also don't agree that if they don't go to games (and we don't know that they never do) that makes them somehow inferior. Though as someone very correctly pointed out, you get out of football what you put in. How much you are prepared to put in is entirely up to the individual.

Lastly, I think the King and Queen is a brilliant pub, (a minority view I know). A cavernous, mock-tudor, beer sodden, melting pot. Go to any world cup game there. It's easily the best place in Brighton for it. So as a random example, South Korea v Sweden will have 100 Korea and 100 Sweden fans in there all having a laugh and sing song and loving the footy .... The England games though you kind of have to swerve the "no Surrender" mob.

How bizarre. A tolerant and rational post, in a thread of hate.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Finally, through work, our kids schools, friends, friends of friends, I know loads of blokes and their kids in Brighton and Hove who are diehard fans of Arsenal and Chelsea. Some go to their occasional games, some share s/t's and others never go at all. A few go to Albion Amex matches of late, as their second club. I'm talking large numbers, which isn't surprising in a 300,000 city and after 25 years of Sky and Champions League hype. If someone from NSC told them to support the Albion instead, they'd tell them to mind their own business.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont, they'd be branded JCLs or glory supporters now too fuelling debate about who our extra 20,000 fans really support

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Fair enough - but I think you’re missing the point a bit.

I fully accept that family connections and personal history play a big part in the team you support. The scouser who lives in Brighton in the clip is a Liverpool fan and that obviously makes sense. I also agree with you that not everyone can go to games and this doesn’t dispel the passion people have for supporting their club.

But the implication from the scouse guy is that he has met Brighton locals who are like minded with him. I may be wrong here but I would be very surprised if any of those locals supported Liverpool for any other reason that they are quite a big and well known team. The passion they display is irrational when you consider they support a team with whom they have no discernible connection. Put that into your local club ffs! Heaven knows we needed all the support we could get 20 years ago.

My son is 20 now and has been on the rollercoaster his entire life. He wouldn’t dream of supporting any other team and I wouldn’t want it any other way. Alternatively he could have become a Liverpool fan shouting at Sky in the pub rather than living it for real at Withdean and the Amex.

And Anfield isn’t a shrine - it’s a shithole.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Well.....obviously?! It's not an insult, just a pretty obvious observation. If I move away and am unable to get to games, I would unquestionably feel much less of a connection to the club. There is nothing at all like the live experience.

I wasn't being "funny". I would have really enjoyed watching us beat man Utd on the TV. Actually being there raised it to a completely different experience.

I even found myself singing at one point, which is rare for me, being tone deaf.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wasn't being "funny". I would have really enjoyed watching us beat man Utd on the TV. Actually being there raised it to a completely different experience.

I even found myself singing at one point, which is rare for me, being tone deaf.

“You’re not fit to referee” and “F*ck off, Mourinho” require little musical ability. :smile:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If someone wants to support Liverpool whilst living in Brighton, fair enough. I'm not better than them because I choose to support my local team. It might mean I have a deeper connection and more intense experiences (for better and worse), but you support who you support

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
On the King and Queen, I do think it's the only pub in Brighton which to some degree actually replicates a Goldstone north stand style match day experience. Yes, it's on TV, but, you get to stand, belt out songs through the game and on occasion go mosh pit crazy, lob your beer in the end and finish up 4 metres away lying on top of a sweaty stranger. The (at least) 10 best football experiences I've had when I haven't been at the ground have all been in there.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
We should all go and support our second team Real Madrid at the KQ for the European Cup Final. After all most of us have had a pint of San Miguel so Real can be our second team.

What a bunch of tw@ts!

It’ll be like that time you were asked to leave for chanting ‘Who are ya?’ at those Brazil fans that piped up during the England Brazil friendly a few years back. :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here