Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] King and Queen for the Iiverpool game

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
don't recall that personally

As in, when we played on TV there would always be lots of Albion watching in there. I didn't really go there apart from that.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Sussex and Brighton are very nice places to live. People move here from all over the country and understandably will take their allegiances with them, just as i would if I moved away.

Obviously that doesn't account for all the glory hunting Liverpool twats but i'd wager it takes care of a fair few.

The sheer umber of people moving to the area from London as well accounts for large numbers of Gooners etc in Brighton pubs

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sussex and Brighton are very nice places to live. People move here from all over the country and understandably will take their allegiances with them, just as i would if I moved away.

Obviously that doesn't account for all the glory hunting Liverpool twats but i'd wager it takes care of a fair few.

The sheer umber of people moving to the area from London as well accounts for large numbers of Gooners etc in Brighton pubs
All true but how many Scouse accents were there on that video?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've no issue with anyone choosing to support who they want. I also don't care if people want to watch on TV, but not go to the games. The problem comes when they want to engage on the same level with us that are an emotional part of our clubs. It's usually men, because, from school age, most British men choose to align themselves with one team or another. I did it myself before I understood that football supporting was a much bigger thing than watching MotD. I don't mind a bit of joshing, even from TV fans of big teams, but it's when they start to talk about their TV team as 'us' and denigrate fans of local teams because their teams are not as good that it gets a bit ripe. You are not 'Us.' The real 'Us' of your chosen team would have more affinity with the 'Us' of an opposing team than they would with you.

It's impossible to communicate to someone who thinks that football is about winning that it doesn't matter how good they are, it matters that they belong to me and I belong to them. It matters that they will always be there for me to be part of. It matters that my friends and family share it. It matters that there is a community that, in some part feels the same way, whether that means those who just went along to the victory parade, because they wanted to celebrate with their community, or those that obsess about transfer deadlines, injury lists, loyalty points and what happened to the FA Cup money. It matters that there were enough people who felt the same that they worked tooth and nail to make sure that the club continued, some even expecting that they weren't going to be around long enough to enjoy the benefits, but wanting to pass the experience on to the next generation that could. It matters that this single connection can cause people to share and to support each other in the way that ChaileyJem's WSC article describes people on here doing. My kids enjoyed last season's promotion, they enjoyed this season's day against Arsenal and night against Man Utd, but they care enough to enjoy it because they know how it feels to stand and applaud a team that had given their all for a season, but lost to their deadly rivals in a crap-shoot play off game. They know the history of the things that you people did to keep this thing alive. If you asked them to pick a team to support in a match on TV, it would less than two minutes before they were on their phones.

In short, cheer along the team you have picked all you want, meet in a pub, decorate it with flags and scarves, but don't try to tell us that this makes you the same as us.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Always worth a punt. I quite fancy making my comeback in vets football one day!

I'm not ready for Vets yet. I'm only 47...

Just last week I played - did okay - to help my club to a third straight promotion - to senior level now :eek:

I'll sign again next year, but only as back up. If I play any, I've no doubt I'll be the oldest player in the league, by some distance!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
**** it I say. Lifes too short. That video is fricking cringeworthy but hey, they enjoy it, have barbecues raise money for charity and have a different kind of pseudo (to some) togetherness/tribalism/social aspect. Bit the same as some watching England games in the pub and berated by members of England Fans (awaits to get pulled on that one) Yes it's odd to some but harmless and they enjoy it. I doubt they cause any trouble, enjoy their once trip in their life time to Anfield (the hardcore ones) and buy their sky TV subscriptions/shirts which largely pays for the premiership (whether that is a good thing or not is debatable but we get better football for it). Takes all sorts

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Just last week I played - did okay - to help my club to a third straight promotion - to senior level now :eek:

I'll sign again next year, but only as back up. If I play any, I've no doubt I'll be the oldest player in the league, by some distance!

What age do they start vets where you are? I’m sure the Mid Sussex one is now just 35 as there weren’t many teams!? My thinking is it saves getting skinned by 17 year olds every week!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What age do they start vets where you are? I’m sure the Mid Sussex one is now just 35 as there weren’t many teams!? My thinking is it saves getting skinned by 17 year olds every week!

Yes, 35. Which is stupid IMO. Lads of 35 these days are still fit and able to run about with the best of them. The whole point of a vets league is to encourage players who are NOT able to compete physically, to continue to play competitive football, in a suitable environment. Now if you're in your 40s and you'd like to play (outfield) in a league, you're ****ed, because the vets sides are full of decent players 10 years your junior, who you can't compete with athletically.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bit pompous there Al. What's the problem with the place? It's big, plenty of screens, reasonable beer, central to town. There are worse places to watch a game in town. Plus they've been good to the REMF, even in the past couple of weeks. But go right ahead, by all means give us your best reasons as to why they offend your sensibilities.

Final game away to Forest, biggest game we had to get into the playoffs. the K&Q turned Forest v Brighton off the main screens so there were only a couple upstairs by the pool table and a small one back of the bar, because they wanted to show PREMIER LEAGUE so put on a meaningless game between West Ham and Stoke or something. God knows why I was in there in the first place, but vowed then never to go in again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, 35. Which is stupid IMO. Lads of 35 these days are still fit and able to run about with the best of them. The whole point of a vets league is to encourage players who are NOT able to compete physically, to continue to play competitive football, in a suitable environment. Now if you're in your 40s and you'd like to play (outfield) in a league, you're ****ed, because the vets sides are full of decent players 10 years your junior, who you can't compete with athletically.

Simple answer is not enough players to make it viable if you make it an older threshold, that is the truth of it.

Anyway, I turned out Monday for Fishergate Flyers Managers v Flyers U16s, and I still can't walk properly today...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

What team would that be, if you don't mind me asking?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But I suppose if you travel to matches, you are more of a real fan........

Well.....obviously?! It's not an insult, just a pretty obvious observation. If I move away and am unable to get to games, I would unquestionably feel much less of a connection to the club. There is nothing at all like the live experience.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Sussex will never be an all Albion county. There will always be adults and kids here with a love for ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs. Who might enjoy watching their club down the pub with like-minded mates. I know many blokes born and bred in Sussex who are long distance fans of those clubs or who share season tickets and travel up. Quite a few of them also care about the Albion as their second club, and some go to home games since the Amex was built.

It's a free country. What's the problem?[/QUO that's why I think the northern power house is a great idear they can al Fuxk back off home and stop living in our beautiful county.:facepalm:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've no issue with anyone choosing to support who they want. I also don't care if people want to watch on TV, but not go to the games. The problem comes when they want to engage on the same level with us that are an emotional part of our clubs. It's usually men, because, from school age, most British men choose to align themselves with one team or another. I did it myself before I understood that football supporting was a much bigger thing than watching MotD. I don't mind a bit of joshing, even from TV fans of big teams, but it's when they start to talk about their TV team as 'us' and denigrate fans of local teams because their teams are not as good that it gets a bit ripe. You are not 'Us.' The real 'Us' of your chosen team would have more affinity with the 'Us' of an opposing team than they would with you.

It's impossible to communicate to someone who thinks that football is about winning that it doesn't matter how good they are, it matters that they belong to me and I belong to them. It matters that they will always be there for me to be part of. It matters that my friends and family share it. It matters that there is a community that, in some part feels the same way, whether that means those who just went along to the victory parade, because they wanted to celebrate with their community, or those that obsess about transfer deadlines, injury lists, loyalty points and what happened to the FA Cup money. It matters that there were enough people who felt the same that they worked tooth and nail to make sure that the club continued, some even expecting that they weren't going to be around long enough to enjoy the benefits, but wanting to pass the experience on to the next generation that could. It matters that this single connection can cause people to share and to support each other in the way that ChaileyJem's WSC article describes people on here doing. My kids enjoyed last season's promotion, they enjoyed this season's day against Arsenal and night against Man Utd, but they care enough to enjoy it because they know how it feels to stand and applaud a team that had given their all for a season, but lost to their deadly rivals in a crap-shoot play off game. They know the history of the things that you people did to keep this thing alive. If you asked them to pick a team to support in a match on TV, it would less than two minutes before they were on their phones.

In short, cheer along the team you have picked all you want, meet in a pub, decorate it with flags and scarves, but don't try to tell us that this makes you the same as us.

Beautiful.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Brighton have won more the the reds in the last ten years (Promotion), probably a damn site more plastic Brighton then!
Glory hunting BHA ..,,,
Give me strength ......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here