Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Members

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Scouse View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man City , yes Man Utd always .... not many glory hunting Reds since the mid 80’s.
    Biggest supported team in South Africa without a doubt

• North Stand Chat

advertising

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
      I don't agree with most of this

Brighton has got people from all over the country and all over the world in. I don't expect them to stop supporting whoever they supported when they get here.

I also don't expect 100% of Sussex born kids to support the Albion, though it's wonderful that so many do now.

I also don't agree that if they don't go to games (and we don't know that they never do) that makes them somehow inferior. Though as someone very correctly pointed out, you get out of football what you put in. How much you are prepared to put in is entirely up to the individual.

Lastly, I think the King and Queen is a brilliant pub, (a minority view I know). A cavernous, mock-tudor, beer sodden, melting pot. Go to any world cup game there. It's easily the best place in Brighton for it. So as a random example, South Korea v Sweden will have 100 Korea and 100 Sweden fans in there all having a laugh and sing song and loving the footy .... The England games though you kind of have to swerve the "no Surrender" mob.
      How bizarre. A tolerant and rational post, in a thread of hate.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Weststander View Post

Finally, through work, our kids schools, friends, friends of friends, I know loads of blokes and their kids in Brighton and Hove who are diehard fans of Arsenal and Chelsea. Some go to their occasional games, some share s/t's and others never go at all. A few go to Albion Amex matches of late, as their second club. I'm talking large numbers, which isn't surprising in a 300,000 city and after 25 years of Sky and Champions League hype. If someone from NSC told them to support the Albion instead, they'd tell them to mind their own business.
      Damned if you do, damned if you dont, they'd be branded JCLs or glory supporters now too fuelling debate about who our extra 20,000 fans really support

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Southern Scouse View Post
      Man City , yes Man Utd always .... not many glory hunting Reds since the mid 80’s.
      Kobanî liberated 26th Jan 2015 = Modern day Stalingrad
      RIP Ceylan Ozalp, 19
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zqu...dex=11&list=WL

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by blue-shifted View Post
      I don't agree with most of this

Brighton has got people from all over the country and all over the world in. I don't expect them to stop supporting whoever they supported when they get here.

I also don't expect 100% of Sussex born kids to support the Albion, though it's wonderful that so many do now.

I also don't agree that if they don't go to games (and we don't know that they never do) that makes them somehow inferior. Though as someone very correctly pointed out, you get out of football what you put in. How much you are prepared to put in is entirely up to the individual.

Lastly, I think the King and Queen is a brilliant pub, (a minority view I know). A cavernous, mock-tudor, beer sodden, melting pot. Go to any world cup game there. It's easily the best place in Brighton for it. So as a random example, South Korea v Sweden will have 100 Korea and 100 Sweden fans in there all having a laugh and sing song and loving the footy .... The England games though you kind of have to swerve the "no Surrender" mob.
      Fair enough - but I think you’re missing the point a bit.

I fully accept that family connections and personal history play a big part in the team you support. The scouser who lives in Brighton in the clip is a Liverpool fan and that obviously makes sense. I also agree with you that not everyone can go to games and this doesn’t dispel the passion people have for supporting their club.

But the implication from the scouse guy is that he has met Brighton locals who are like minded with him. I may be wrong here but I would be very surprised if any of those locals supported Liverpool for any other reason that they are quite a big and well known team. The passion they display is irrational when you consider they support a team with whom they have no discernible connection. Put that into your local club ffs! Heaven knows we needed all the support we could get 20 years ago.

My son is 20 now and has been on the rollercoaster his entire life. He wouldn’t dream of supporting any other team and I wouldn’t want it any other way. Alternatively he could have become a Liverpool fan shouting at Sky in the pub rather than living it for real at Withdean and the Amex.

And Anfield isn’t a shrine - it’s a shithole.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      Well.....obviously?! It's not an insult, just a pretty obvious observation. If I move away and am unable to get to games, I would unquestionably feel much less of a connection to the club. There is nothing at all like the live experience.
      I wasn't being "funny". I would have really enjoyed watching us beat man Utd on the TV. Actually being there raised it to a completely different experience.

I even found myself singing at one point, which is rare for me, being tone deaf.
      "In football, everything is complicated by the presence of the opposing team". Jean-Paul Sartre.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by DavidinSouthampton View Post
      I wasn't being "funny". I would have really enjoyed watching us beat man Utd on the TV. Actually being there raised it to a completely different experience.

I even found myself singing at one point, which is rare for me, being tone deaf.
      “You’re not fit to referee” and “F*ck off, Mourinho” require little musical ability.
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      If someone wants to support Liverpool whilst living in Brighton, fair enough. I'm not better than them because I choose to support my local team. It might mean I have a deeper connection and more intense experiences (for better and worse), but you support who you support
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      On the King and Queen, I do think it's the only pub in Brighton which to some degree actually replicates a Goldstone north stand style match day experience. Yes, it's on TV, but, you get to stand, belt out songs through the game and on occasion go mosh pit crazy, lob your beer in the end and finish up 4 metres away lying on top of a sweaty stranger. The (at least) 10 best football experiences I've had when I haven't been at the ground have all been in there.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Van Winkle View Post
      We should all go and support our second team Real Madrid at the KQ for the European Cup Final. After all most of us have had a pint of San Miguel so Real can be our second team.

What a bunch of tw@ts!
      It’ll be like that time you were asked to leave for chanting ‘Who are ya?’ at those Brazil fans that piped up during the England Brazil friendly a few years back.
      BN3 7DE