Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Congratulations to Huddersfield

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes indeed - interesting how "smaller" clubs (BHAFC, Burnley, Watford etc) seem to be able to survive in the Prem despite the huge disparity in resources compared with the bigger clubs.

And yet, many of the traditional bigger clubs (e.g. Sheff Wed, Nottingham Forest, Portsmouth) languish in the lower leagues.

I think the big difference now is TV money. It no longer matters how many people come and see you play, gate receipts are a relatively small drop in the ocean. So a small club can survive in the Premier League even if they have a tiny stadium, like Bournemouth. They still get a decent chunk of the TV dosh so are much better off than the so-called big clubs in the Championship.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hats off to Huddersfield for getting creditable draws at Citeh and Chelsea, for beating Man Utd at home, as well as getting the better of us this season.

The only sad thing is that Leeds haven't got any decent players Hudds can nick off them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Last night had me thinking that those who are of the mind that Brighton / Hudds shouldn't be in the Premier League must be having some sort of migraine now. We're both in and they've got the incoming reality of Wolves and Cardiff too.

If Derby / Fulham go up it'll be the most 'Championship' Premier League in years.

Yep, the sort who think the likes of Leeds, Massive etc. should be in it by default are going to be hurt.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Similar season to us with ups and downs. Glad they got over the line.

Humility goes a long way in football and from the fans I met they have it in abundance, which makes them the odd ones out in Yorkshire.

Very true. A most un-Yorkshire-like lack of misplaced arrogance.

Similar to Sheffield United actually. It's really only Wednesday 😂 and Leeds who have the arrogant entitled attitude. You clearly don't get it from the great majority of fans of Yorkshire clubs. Rotherham, Barnsley etc.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
My wife asked me the other day who I wanted to get relegated and to be honest I couldn't think of which three teams I would select, among this year's candidates.

There's something about Wagner that I find quite irritating, but it may just be his knack of doing well against us.

I don't really prefer Huddersfield to West Brom or Southampton but on balance I'm pleased they've stayed up and as a club there's plenty to admire about them.

JohnnyHudds

Apr 24, 2009
Nice to read the comments on here following our survival, cheers guys and well done to you too for a great season.

As mentioned above, I think one key factor is sticking with the manager and not letting expectations run wild. I've heard both Wagner and Hughton questioned by certain pundits and experts but thankfully both our clubs seem to have good owners and a majority of well grounded, and humble, support.

Not sure about us being your bogey team though. You beat us at yours last year and obviously we shared a point this last time too.

So, what do you think you'll be adding to your squad this summer? We desperately need pace in our team and more creativity out wide, think we'll see about 3 or 4 signings as the squad doesn't need bulking out as much as it did last season when we needed to sign/replace a lot of loans. Do you think you'll be adding much to your squad?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yep, Deepdale the regular destination for abject misery. Hemed even missed a pen in the last minute for a consolation goal last I was there.

Yes - but for me it's a great day out. Direct train, super pub on the way, nice old fashioned ground. I even saw us come back from 2-0 down to draw once!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Nice to read the comments on here following our survival, cheers guys and well done to you too for a great season.

As mentioned above, I think one key factor is sticking with the manager and not letting expectations run wild. I've heard both Wagner and Hughton questioned by certain pundits and experts but thankfully both our clubs seem to have good owners and a majority of well grounded, and humble, support.

Not sure about us being your bogey team though. You beat us at yours last year and obviously we shared a point this last time too.

So, what do you think you'll be adding to your squad this summer? We desperately need pace in our team and more creativity out wide, think we'll see about 3 or 4 signings as the squad doesn't need bulking out as much as it did last season when we needed to sign/replace a lot of loans. Do you think you'll be adding much to your squad?

Cheers, and well done yourself.

We've publically said that it won't be as 'hectic' as last season, so we imagine it to be strengthening 3-4 positions (similar to yourselves it seems) - particularly in CM and at the back. No major overhauls.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

We’ll add a few players but nowhere near as many as last season. We could do with strengthening the full backs, creative midfielder (although in place of whom I don’t know as we only play two there and whoever has played has done well and we are set up as defensive rather than offensive) and another big old fashioned striker but with pace.

Will we be starting another “Huddersfield signing everyone” thread on here this year? From what you say it doesn’t sound like it :smile:

Pritchard aside I’m pleased you guys stayed up.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Really happy you’re still the top team in Yorkshire, that must really piss off a couple of your fellow Yorkshire clubs, if you know who o mean. Please though, bin the clackers next season.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
All three promoted teams stayed up.

The following was posted on another forum: "Not only did all three teams promoted to the Premier League stay up but all three promoted to the Championship, all four promoted to League One and both promoted to League Two stayed up as well. "

I wonder if that has ever happened before?

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
The following was posted on another forum: "Not only did all three teams promoted to the Premier League stay up but all three promoted to the Championship, all four promoted to League One and both promoted to League Two stayed up as well. "

I wonder if that has ever happened before?

I read somewhere it was all the teams promoted in the top 5 leagues stayed up and was a first.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...

What you need most of all is a roof over the away fans facilities, drinking a beer while standing in a snow-storm is not what I would expect of a Premier League ground in the 21st Century.

JohnnyHudds

Apr 24, 2009
We’ll add a few players but nowhere near as many as last season. We could do with strengthening the full backs, creative midfielder (although in place of whom I don’t know as we only play two there and whoever has played has done well and we are set up as defensive rather than offensive) and another big old fashioned striker but with pace.

Will we be starting another “Huddersfield signing everyone” thread on here this year? From what you say it doesn’t sound like it :smile:

Pritchard aside I’m pleased you guys stayed up.

I very much doubt we'll be signing as many but I do think we'll get most of our business done early again, seems to be the way Wagner likes to do it so they are all working together in preseason. Would love us to get Kongolo back after his loan spell ends but not sure if he'll want a bigger move now or if he's even within our budget, he's been excellent. Pace and creativity is our main weakness so I'd expect us to bring at least two attacking midfielders and probably sign/loan a young striker to offer something different to the two big lads upfront but apart from that I think we'll keep things the same.

JohnnyHudds

Apr 24, 2009
What you need most of all is a roof over the away fans facilities, drinking a beer while standing in a snow-storm is not what I would expect of a Premier League ground in the 21st Century.

Yeah, our ground is 24 years old now and was one of the first more modern grounds to be built. Obviously Bolton went and did it better and then yourselves have taken it to another level. We needed so many upgrades when we got to the Premier League last year to bring it up to standard but I do imagine there will be more development going on again this summer.

Still prefer it to the generic flat-pack stadiums of Southampton, Leicester, Swansea, Stoke, Cardiff, Middlesborough etc though :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here