Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Congratulations to Huddersfield

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I very much doubt we'll be signing as many but I do think we'll get most of our business done early again, seems to be the way Wagner likes to do it so they are all working together in preseason. Would love us to get Kongolo back after his loan spell ends but not sure if he'll want a bigger move now or if he's even within our budget, he's been excellent. Pace and creativity is our main weakness so I'd expect us to bring at least two attacking midfielders and probably sign/loan a young striker to offer something different to the two big lads upfront but apart from that I think we'll keep things the same.

I doubt we’ll make many early signings, we seem to do our business later into the window!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I doubt we’ll make many early signings, we seem to do our business later into the window!

There's hardly any window to speak of this year. Not much business will be done during the World Cup, and the EPL voted last year to close the transfer window 2 days before the start of the new season - so our self-imposed deadline day is 5pm on Thursday, August 9th. Although foreign clubs will continue to buy and sell right up until Aug 31st, and they can still buy our players.

Crazy.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There's hardly any window to speak of this year. Not much business will be done during the World Cup, and the EPL voted last year to close the transfer window 2 days before the start of the new season - so our self-imposed deadline day is 5pm on Thursday, August 9th. Although foreign clubs will continue to buy and sell right up until Aug 31st, and they can still buy our players.

Crazy.

I think closing the window before the season starts is a great idea given that we have been a month into the season before completing our signings in the past. You’re right it’s a very short window with the WC but it may concentrate everyone’s minds to get business done early.

Interesting re foreign clubs, I guess they’ll have to move early too because EPL clubs are not going to agree to sell players if they can’t replace them

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think closing the window before the season starts is a great idea given that we have been a month into the season before completing our signings in the past. You’re right it’s a very short window with the WC but it may concentrate everyone’s minds to get business done early.

Interesting re foreign clubs, I guess they’ll have to move early too because EPL clubs are not going to agree to sell players if they can’t replace them

Its good in some respects, but it does put English clubs at something of a disadvantage in that our players can be "poached" abroad after the 9th August, and we can do nothing about getting in a replacement. Not that I think Real Madrid are going to come knocking at BHA's door any time soon, but the potential for disruption is still there (although as you rightly say, clubs can just say "no" and not sell, but that doesn't always end well either).

I think we'll also find that when there's an auction going on for one of the premium players in Europe, a PL club will have to go in with a maHOOsive bid in order to blow everyone else out of the water land the player before our own deadline kicks in. Its always in a players and agents interests for it to drag out as close to the end of the transfer window as possible, and with everyone else's deadline being 31st Aug, English clubs may have to pay a premium to get the deal over the line 3 weeks earlier.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep, Deepdale the regular destination for abject misery. Hemed even missed a pen in the last minute for a consolation goal last I was there.

Took me over an hour to get out of their car park way back when.....shambols

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Similar to Sheffield United actually. It's really only Wednesday �� and Leeds who have the arrogant entitled attitude. You clearly don't get it from the great majority of fans of Yorkshire clubs. Rotherham, Barnsley etc.

I loved my trips to their old ground back in the noughties. Nice pub nearby, friendly folk inside :thumbsup:

(oh and the queue down the lane on the East side of the stadium :(:facepalm::lolol: )

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yeah, our ground is 24 years old now and was one of the first more modern grounds to be built. Obviously Bolton went and did it better and then yourselves have taken it to another level. We needed so many upgrades when we got to the Premier League last year to bring it up to standard but I do imagine there will be more development going on again this summer.

Still prefer it to the generic flat-pack stadiums of Southampton, Leicester, Swansea, Stoke, Cardiff, Middlesborough etc though :)

It won the RIBA Building of the Year Award 1995 no less. :thumbsup:

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Pace and creativity is our main weakness so I'd expect us to bring at least two attacking midfielders and probably sign/loan a young striker to offer something different to the two big lads upfront but apart from that I think we'll keep things the same.

Out of interest, do you think you'll go back in for Izzy Brown? Unfortunate with the form of Groß keeping him to a bit-part player, then a terrible injury for us, but obviously Wagner thinks highly of him.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
All 3 promoted teams from the top 5 divisions on English football stayed up !
Lovely stat.

Fnd_hudds

That Huddersfield Tosser
Feb 3, 2017
Out of interest, do you think you'll go back in for Izzy Brown? Unfortunate with the form of Groß keeping him to a bit-part player, then a terrible injury for us, but obviously Wagner thinks highly of him.

Very unlikely. Izzy is a good lad, but we've realised just how much higher the required quality is in this league for attacking players. Our #1 priority targets this summer will be supporting attacking players - on the right and the left - to sit eitherside of Pritchard. We had to prioritise our foundation last summer, which is looking pretty solid now, so we can build on top of that with some pacey flair signings.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Plus Middlesbrough. They can’t believe that clubs like Brighton have nicked their PL slot.

Where do you get this from? Is this because they got relegated, having arguably won promotion by a very dodgy referee sending off a Brighton player as soon as we drew level up there in the promotion decider? They then stank the Premier League out and got relegated. If anyone should be pissed about having Premier league slot nicked it should be us :shrug:

batch_91

Jul 14, 2012
Sheffield/Portslade
I said at the start of the season I wanted them to stay up (as long as its not at our expense of course)

Now i'm happy because I can see them taking one of the bottom spots next year.

That Lossl save in the last minute against Chelsea has to go down as the save of the season considering what it meant.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Where do you get this from? Is this because they got relegated, having arguably won promotion by a very dodgy referee sending off a Brighton player as soon as we drew level up there in the promotion decider? They then stank the Premier League out and got relegated. If anyone should be pissed about having Premier league slot nicked it should be us :shrug:

I think he means more the entitled bit. As in they think that they DESERVE to be in the PL whereas "teams like Brighton" (and Huddersfield) don't. That's definitely the Leeds attitude and that of quite a few Wednesday :lolol: fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here