Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Would you buy food from a 1/5 "Scores on the Doors" establishment?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I've carried out work at several takeaways in Lewes. A lot of this work was in the kitchen and storage areas.
All I can say is :eek:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The main place was Spice Thai Kitchen. It's curious how every Thai place I'm aware of in Worthing is on that list.

But the Indian was the second place I mentioned. I agree on going to the Mahaan, but a few times we've been drinking in the Corner House which makes that Warwick Street place convenient. They also stay open very late (by Worthing standards).

Spice Kitchen has a 5 rating sticker on door as does Lemon Grass, well they did on Saturday when I walked past both establishments !

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
My wife doesnt have any stars but I'm very happy to continue eating the grub she serves up

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
The main place was Spice Thai Kitchen. It's curious how every Thai place I'm aware of in Worthing is on that list.

But the Indian was the second place I mentioned. I agree on going to the Mahaan, but a few times we've been drinking in the Corner House which makes that Warwick Street place convenient. They also stay open very late (by Worthing standards).

The two Thai places down by the Egremont are both decent and not on that list [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bravohotelalpha

Jan 23, 2011
Good Old Sussex By The Sea
One of the places we use semi-regularly for takeaways has received a 1/5 on the recent "Scores on the Doors" thingummy, as revealed by the Worthing Herald:

https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/im...-hygiene-rating-1-8480436/8480438/img18480435

(In fact there's another place in that list that I've been to a fair few times over the last couple of years too)

Because we enjoy the food from the place, and have never had any sort of after-effects, I'm happy to carry on using it. Would you?

Certainly not! if I were you, at the very least I would want to know exactly why the takeaway only received a 1/5 score on the door ???

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I’d never knowingly choose to buy food from a place so obviously very poor. If you can’t get 4 stars you shouldn’t be allowed to open until you put things right.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
No. If its that low it deserves to be snubbed. Agree low score outlets should be shut down. Too many fast food outlets so this is an obvious way to regulate or drive up quality

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I’d never knowingly choose to buy food from a place so obviously very poor. If you can’t get 4 stars you shouldn’t be allowed to open until you put things right.

I've eaten street food in the Dominican Republic and let me tell you...

I was shitting blood for a week.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Yup.

I continued to use GFC in Hove for the odd chicken fillet burger (with mayo) once it re-opened after being closed down. I know its a fetid, rat-infested khazi, but their chicken fillets are soooo good, and I've never been poorly afterwards. Just have a quick check under the bun for droppings and away you go.

Very much this. I love their chicken burger with spicy mayo but it has been a few years now. Man, you have given me a craving for their chicken now.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
One of the places we use semi-regularly for takeaways has received a 1/5 on the recent "Scores on the Doors" thingummy, as revealed by the Worthing Herald:

https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/im...-hygiene-rating-1-8480436/8480438/img18480435

(In fact there's another place in that list that I've been to a fair few times over the last couple of years too)

Because we enjoy the food from the place, and have never had any sort of after-effects, I'm happy to carry on using it. Would you?

If you begin to bark like a dog or meow like a cat you have no one to blame but yourself. They seem so cute until the Korean cook cuts their throats.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I reckon any 1 or 2 should be closed, until they get act together.. simple hygiene precautions / safe food handling should get you a 3..

No. I disagree.
Half the fun of eating in some of these places is trying to spot the hair in the mayonnaise or the cockroach leg gently resting in the fold of a lettuce leaf.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
There's a new game format in this.

Five contestants go on a takeaway adventure seeing which one can dine at the lowest rated establishments for the longest without getting botulism and ending up in ITU.

Sort of like love island but set in dingy fast food outlets with contestants who are tired of living.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Inspections are nerve wracking, but I always tell younger staff that if they are doing everything correctly then they have nothing to worry about.
Inspectors themselves can vary in their attitude in my experience. Many want to help and ensure best practices are being adhered to, but occasionally you will get one who it appears is trying to trip you up.
As others have said, a lot of the ratings are to do with records, training and structural issues but councils issue food safety manuals (for free, and in different languages) which cover all of the basics and which if you follow, should get you at least a 3.
Anything below that suggests a real lack of care.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Would you buy food from a 1/5 "Scores on the Doors" establishment?

Maybe it depends if you’ve had serious food poisoning. I picked up a Campylobacter infection once while working abroad. Stomach ache, dreadful indigestion and wind for a few days while it got ready to attack, then fever for a few more. Couldn’t be upright without shitting myself once it got a grip - and then, when you think there’s nothing more you can cope with, shitting blood.

So, no, I wouldn’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here