Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Would you buy food from a 1/5 "Scores on the Doors" establishment?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've been visiting the Mahaan for at least 25 years ago. I'm not sure if [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] recalls, but around 25 years ago for some reason they thought I was an Albion player and were always extra-nice to me as a result.

Bruno? (In some sort of time travel shenaniganic way)

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Having spoken to one of the restaurants ‘scorers’ by chance at a friend’s party last year, the scores are worked out according to but not exclusively food hygiene. The storage of food, it’s source and food preparation. I was told that it is relatively easy to get 5/5 if you follow common sense and have the right attitude concerning hygiene. It is quite easy to drop one point to get 4 out of 5 but to get 3 or lower shows a disregard for a restaurants customers . Food hygiene and preparation is no joke, it’s relatively easy to get violently ill on chicken badly cooked or significantly past its sell by date.

You are basically playing Russian roulette with your health if you eat anywhere with less than 4 out of 5. We are very lucky that nowadays we know the standards of the restaurants we eat in in Brighton and Hove. Surely only a fool would intentionally put themselves at risk eating somewhere that in effect has a big sign telling you there hygiene/ food preparation is not up to scratch.

A quick walk along Church Road in Hove, 9 out of 10 restaurants had a score of 4 or 5 so it can’t be that difficult to achieve.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Having spoken to one of the restaurants ‘scorers’ by chance at a friend’s party last year, the scores are worked out according to but not exclusively food hygiene. The storage of food, it’s source and food preparation. I was told that it is relatively easy to get 5/5 if you follow common sense and have the right attitude concerning hygiene. It is quite easy to drop one point to get 4 out of 5 but to get 3 or lower shows a disregard for a restaurants customers . Food hygiene and preparation is no joke, it’s relatively easy to get violently ill on chicken badly cooked or significantly past its sell by date.

You are basically playing Russian roulette with your health if you eat anywhere with less than 4 out of 5. We are very lucky that nowadays we know the standards of the restaurants we eat in in Brighton and Hove. Surely only a fool would intentionally put themselves at risk eating somewhere that in effect has a big sign telling you there hygiene/ food preparation is not up to scratch.

A quick walk along Church Road in Hove, 9 out of 10 restaurants had a score of 4 or 5 so it can’t be that difficult to achieve.

Spot on. My local got a four when the landlord asked why it was because he only had one sink so vegetables were washed in the same sink as washing up may be done.

Which is quite clearly a load of old bollocks you wouldn't think twice about doing that at home.

So not worth paying attention to IMO.

That chippy by the BoT always has queues out the door and I think that has 0 or 1.

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
My friend's traditional curry house in Burgess Hill gets a 5* rating and the kitchen there is absolutely tiny. Sounds like an odd point to make but trust me if they can get organised enough to get a 5* there really is no excuse for anyone. I'd steer clear of anywhere under 3 stars. Browsing through the listings does come up with some surprises though doesn't it. I wonder if all the posh villagers in Hurstpierpoint are bothered by their 1* butcher or whether The Ginger Fox should really be a bit less expensive if their team can only get a 3*.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ate at one place a while back with my partner at the time, that had a 1 star rating

2 years later...BOOOM. My dad died.

Never eating there again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I always envisage the 1s and 2s being like the worst of those on Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares.......mice, rotten food, cooked meat next to raw, 10 years of congealed gunk on the grill etc.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I've been visiting the Mahaan for at least 25 years ago. I'm not sure if [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] recalls, but around 25 years ago for some reason they thought I was an Albion player and were always extra-nice to me as a result.

Maybe it was because you said..."I play for Brighton and Hove Albion...can I get a discount?&

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yup.

I continued to use GFC in Hove for the odd chicken fillet burger (with mayo) once it re-opened after being closed down. I know its a fetid, rat-infested khazi, but their chicken fillets are soooo good, and I've never been poorly afterwards. Just have a quick check under the bun for droppings and away you go.

I'm going to a 20/20 match in Hove in a couple of months, and its an ideal pre-game venue for some scoff, but I was disappointed to see the place has recently fallen foul of the food hygiene environmental health nazis again. Hopefully it'll be re-opened by the time I go.

A place SO SHIT that it has now been closed for good by environmental health is not somewhere one should be eating.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A place SO SHIT that it has now been closed for good by environmental health is not somewhere one should be eating.

If it’s been “closed for good” he won’t be.

kjgood

i've been of the opinion that 1 star means they are safe on the grounds that if they didnt meet minimum standards, they'd be closed. maybe thats not how the criteria work. i recall from somewhere the higher grades are for following lots of nice procedures and having documents to say so.

This recollection is mainly correct, the majority (but not all) of the make up of the star system is based on having written policies, procedures & HACCP documents in place rather than what you actually see. There is an argument that you can have the best written policies in the world in place but if the staff do not follow them (Or even know they exist) then you are no safer than an establishment that doesnt have such well written documents but try really hard to ensure the food they sell is safe. I personnaly judge by what I see and of course what the product is like.

If the local food protection agencies have allowed the establishment to continue to trade then they have met an acceptable criterior.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Nope. Any time I think I may be going to eat somewhere new I'm on the FSA website checking them out. 1/5 and I'm going to give it a swerve.

I've been in an eatery when an inspection was taking place and the inspectors are extremely thorough.

Why take the risk of eating in a place where food safety and hygiene are so low on the proprietors agenda when there are plenty of great places to eat with 4 or 5 star ratings?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Nope - for the same reasons that others who have already said “no” have cited.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Most council officials are useless jobsworths,so I don't take any notice of them,or newspaper ratings.If I get bad guts,they don't get my business again,but everybody needs a good flushing through every so often!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The main place was Spice Thai Kitchen. It's curious how every Thai place I'm aware of in Worthing is on that list.

But the Indian was the second place I mentioned. I agree on going to the Mahaan, but a few times we've been drinking in the Corner House which makes that Warwick Street place convenient. They also stay open very late (by Worthing standards).

I've eaten at that Thai Place a couple of times in the last few months and was fine. However it has been bought by a new owner and it feels a bit 'dodgy' now - apart from the girl in the kitchen not a Thai person in sight!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'd never agree to eat anywhere with lower than a 4. If I'm choosing, would have to be a 5.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
One of the places we use semi-regularly for takeaways has received a 1/5 on the recent "Scores on the Doors" thingummy, as revealed by the Worthing Herald:

https://www.worthingherald.co.uk/im...-hygiene-rating-1-8480436/8480438/img18480435

(In fact there's another place in that list that I've been to a fair few times over the last couple of years too)

Because we enjoy the food from the place, and have never had any sort of after-effects, I'm happy to carry on using it. Would you?

Was told by someone in Brooksteed that the Spice Thai restaurant still has a higher star rating sticker in the window rather than the one star it garnered.... so, don't get the nibbles after having a few ciders Bozza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here