Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] More overtures about the Albion, staying in the PL.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As the final whistle sounded at the Amex Stadium last Friday evening, and the familiar tune of The Great Escape was pumped out of the speakers and into the ears of joyous home supporters, magic filled the Brighton seaside air.

You could forgive those fans, punching the air as they left the stadium in search of Friday night celebratory refreshment, for believing in the ethereal or giving thanks to whichever deity had authored this story. Almost 21 years previously to the day, Brighton had stayed in the Football League on goal difference. The following season, they finished as the lowest surviving member of the 92 for the second year in a row. This has been an extraordinary journey.

When Brighton were on the verge of promotion to the Premier League, chief executive Paul Barber revealed that the club had tweaked the customary distribution of promotion bonuses. Usually given solely to the players, Brighton’s management agreed to share it amongst every member of staff, from programme sellers to top goalscorer. That’s how you forge an atmosphere where everyone feels part of success

More>>>>>>>>

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A good read, moving along from the Brighton overview. I was pleased that the work of Benitez in terms of charity work and the visit to the Newcastle United Disabled Supporters Association dinner was mentioned, as far too often this type of work goes unmentioned particularly to a wider audience.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good piece that. I didn't know that about Benitez, you can see why he's so appreciated at Toon.

And it was good to be reminded about WBA's transfer dealings in the summer: I read several articles lauding their acquisitions and how the club had done the best bits of business. I bet a few writers are rather regretting those words now

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
And it was good to be reminded about WBA's transfer dealings in the summer: I read several articles lauding their acquisitions and how the club had done the best bits of business. I bet a few writers are rather regretting those words now

On paper, they did very good business. With hindsight it's easy to say they were wrong but they weren't, they didn't bring in bad players.

They brought in a bad manager who has been exposed by Darren Moore's ability to get the team playing and picking up results. Pardew must surely be done now? He couldn't do anything at West Brom but a man with no managerial experience can get that team performing. West Brom's relegation is a genuine surprise but a reminder that changing your manager doesn't always work, especially if you hire an absolute drone.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A good article other than the perpetuation of the myth that Bournemouth are plucky.

This is no fluke, either. Bournemouth and Burnley were both expected to be relegated in their first seasons. Burnley suffered that fate but rebuilt and returned sturdier, while Bournemouth’s incredible tale continues. Last season was Bournemouth’s highest league finish in their history. This season will be Burnley’s highest in 44 years. In terms of resources, both are in the bottom six

I'm sure Bournemouth have spent more than many clubs in the Prem.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
On paper, they did very good business. With hindsight it's easy to say they were wrong but they weren't, they didn't bring in bad players.

They brought in a bad manager who has been exposed by Darren Moore's ability to get the team playing and picking up results. Pardew must surely be done now? He couldn't do anything at West Brom but a man with no managerial experience can get that team performing. West Brom's relegation is a genuine surprise but a reminder that changing your manager doesn't always work, especially if you hire an absolute drone.

I never thought I'd be saying it but I feel sorry for West Brom. What they've done since giving the Job to DM is nothing short of miraculous. Pardew needs to take a long hard look at himself. If I did as badly in my job as that adulterous clown I'd expect to never work again.

Well played Saints. But we're the biggest club on the south coast now. Not as good as Bournemouth but a faaaar bigger club.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I never thought I'd be saying it but I feel sorry for West Brom. What they've done since giving the Job to DM is nothing short of miraculous. Pardew needs to take a long hard look at himself. If I did as badly in my job as that adulterous clown I'd expect to never work again.

Well played Saints. But we're the biggest club on the south coast now. Not as good as Bournemouth but a faaaar bigger club.

Pardew should be absolutely disgusted with himself. He's a dreadful manager and he should be ashamed of his performance at West Brom.

I hope we never resort to such an appointment. Appointments can go badly (Sami Hyypia) but Pardew at West Brom was just a terrible appointment and very lazy. Couldn't they have thought of something more original than a serial failer? If we'd died a death at any stage and collapsed down the table, would we have wanted a Pardew rather than someone doing well somewhere else like Chris Wilder?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Pardew should be absolutely disgusted with himself. He's a dreadful manager and he should be ashamed of his performance at West Brom.

I hope we never resort to such an appointment. Appointments can go badly (Sami Hyypia) but Pardew at West Brom was just a terrible appointment and very lazy. Couldn't they have thought of something more original than a serial failer? If we'd died a death at any stage and collapsed down the table, would we have wanted a Pardew rather than someone doing well somewhere else like Chris Wilder?

Swansea employed a Championship manager and look at what happened to them? It's a massive risk to take and i can see why Premier league clubs go for the same old tiresome names when they are deep in shit.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
As the final whistle sounded at the Amex Stadium last Friday evening, and the familiar tune of The Great Escape was pumped out of the speakers and into the ears of joyous home supporters, magic filled the Brighton seaside air.

You could forgive those fans, punching the air as they left the stadium in search of Friday night celebratory refreshment, for believing in the ethereal or giving thanks to whichever deity had authored this story. Almost 21 years previously to the day, Brighton had stayed in the Football League on goal difference. The following season, they finished as the lowest surviving member of the 92 for the second year in a row. This has been an extraordinary journey.

When Brighton were on the verge of promotion to the Premier League, chief executive Paul Barber revealed that the club had tweaked the customary distribution of promotion bonuses. Usually given solely to the players, Brighton’s management agreed to share it amongst every member of staff, from programme sellers to top goalscorer. That’s how you forge an atmosphere where everyone feels part of success

More>>>>>>>>

Excellent read, cheers

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

More>>>>>>>>

A shame the article makes the same old mistake... we stayed in the football league on goals scored and not goal difference!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here