Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wenger departure could damage Dunk hopes

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If the rumours are true of Zeljko Buvac, being the new Arsenal manager, who knows what type of player he wants, or will it be the club who buys, now Wenger has departed the club.
Hopefully Dunk will stay at the Albion, to carry on the PL journey.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

anx·ious
/ˈaNG(k)SHəs/
adjective

experiencing worry, unease, or nervousness, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome:
"she was extremely anxious about her exams"
synonyms:
worried, concerned, uneasy, apprehensive, fearful

wanting something very much, typically with a feeling of unease:
"the company was anxious to avoid any trouble"
synonyms:
eager, keen, desirous, impatient

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's alright, Dunks annual payrise will be on the cards again and his agent will do very nicely out of it I'm sure

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
After losing Laurent Koscielny for six months with a cruciate injury and Per Mertesacker retiring, Arsenal's central defensive needs have suddenly grown.
If Arsenal are interested (why wouldn't they be?) we need another big money club (Liverpool?) to also bid for Lewis to get the transfer fee as high as possible.
I wonder what the tipping point would be where "everyone has a price"?
My guess would be about £45m, allowing the budget to be spent on 2 or 3 decent players to strengthen the team.
The main fear is that as well as losing a hugely skilled defender, we would be losing the heart of our team which may be almost impossible to replace.

A horrible decision to make, it would be like waving goodbye to a son.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would expect (well hoping really) that Arsenal will want to make a statement about getting back into the top 4 and the CL, and will therefore look to bring in established international defenders as opposed to Dunk, leaving him to have at least another season with us.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dunk has outgrown a team hoping to survive, he should be playing toward the top end of the league. I think he would be better suited to Liverpool, but he could play for any of the top 6 fairly comfortable in my opinion. The only thing he lacks is pace, but he's got positional play to make up for it and he's technically very capable - he's more than good enough to play at the top end of the league.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dunk has outgrown a team hoping to survive, he should be playing toward the top end of the league. I think he would be better suited to Liverpool, but he could play for any of the top 6 fairly comfortable in my opinion. The only thing he lacks is pace, but he's got positional play to make up for it and he's technically very capable - he's more than good enough to play at the top end of the league.

Interesting comment on pace because it's made me realise that I don't think I really know how fast he is, but I can't think of ever seeing him beaten in an out and out foot race with a forward.

I don't think he's a slouch!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
James Nursey, whose name appears on the Mirror piece (although that doesn't necessarily mean he wrote it) is their Midlands man, so what he knows about either Dunk or Arsenal is not immediately obvious.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Interesting comment on pace because it's made me realise that I don't think I really know how fast he is, but I can't think of ever seeing him beaten in an out and out foot race with a forward.

I don't think he's a slouch!

His positional sense is fantastic and his defensive instincts get him out of any trouble before he's really in it. He's not quick, he's not Duffy slow, but he's not someone you would describe as quick. I hope I've not foreshadowed Mo Salah running away from him on sunday.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
After losing Laurent Koscielny for six months with a cruciate injury and Per Mertesacker retiring, Arsenal's central defensive needs have suddenly grown.
If Arsenal are interested (why wouldn't they be?) we need another big money club (Liverpool?) to also bid for Lewis to get the transfer fee as high as possible.
I wonder what the tipping point would be where "everyone has a price"?
My guess would be about £45m, allowing the budget to be spent on 2 or 3 decent players to strengthen the team.
The main fear is that as well as losing a hugely skilled defender, we would be losing the heart of our team which may be almost impossible to replace.

A horrible decision to make, it would be like waving goodbye to a son.

If I was Dunky I'd be off to Liverpool in a flash if they came in. It's going to take years to sort out Arsenal. Look at Man Utd after Ferguson left.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
When he does leave I hope it’s with the clubs blessing rather than him forcing a move after his head has been turned.

This. I think it's inevitable that he'll leave. Arsenal makes sense because he would remain "down South", they need defenders and he would be paid c£100k per week. If they offer £40m, we'll sell. Even Liverpool sold Coutinho, so if we think we're not a selling club, then we're very naive!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

You may be correct in that statement; however, gone are the days that Brighton are ''railroaded'' into selling players we know that are worth more to keep than sell. That was bourne out by the Dale Stephens Burnley Transfer saga.

We still don't seem to be very good at getting good money for players we want to offload yet but the ones we want to keep, we have shown a lot of resolve in retaining them - I have no doubt that the ones we want to head of transfer bids for, I bet the Club get them all on new deals. They all deserve them that's for sure.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here