Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wenger departure could damage Dunk hopes

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Van Dijk transfer has muddied the waters in terms of market rates for centre backs because Liverpool got fleeced for the bulk of their Coutinho cash by Southampton. I fancy Liverpool paid £15m over the odds for VVD.

I think Spurs got a better deal with £42mill for Davinson Sanchez. Michael Keane cost £30mill and Dunk is a far better player. Stones cost £47.5 mill after completing 80-odd decent matches in the Prem with Everton at a younger age while Mustafi cost Arsenal £35mill and I think Dunk is better. It will be interesting to see what happens with Harry Maguire in this window as I think his value is probably £7 or £8 mill above Dunk.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If the rumours are true of Zeljko Buvac, being the new Arsenal manager, who knows what type of player he wants, or will it be the club who buys, now Wenger has departed the club.
Hopefully Dunk will stay at the Albion, to carry on the PL journey.

Raphael Honigstein, the German football expert, reckons Buvac was never a possibility for the Arsenal job, because he's shy and has never liked dealing with the media. Honigstein intimated the story was fiction, based on Buvac taking leave for personal reasons coinciding with Wenger's resignation/dismissal.

IMG_2595.PNG

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Van Dijk transfer has muddied the waters in terms of market rates for centre backs because Liverpool got fleeced for the bulk of their Coutinho cash by Southampton. I fancy Liverpool paid £15m over the odds for VVD.

I think Spurs got a better deal with £42mill for Davinson Sanchez. Michael Keane cost £30mill and Dunk is a far better player. Stones cost £47.5 mill after completing 80-odd decent matches in the Prem with Everton at a younger age while Mustafi cost Arsenal £35mill and I think Dunk is better. It will be interesting to see what happens with Harry Maguire in this window as I think his value is probably £7 or £8 mill above Dunk.

VVD is a brilliant CB and leader of the defence. Expect transfer fees to remain very high from now on. ManC are now buying fullbacks at £50m a go. Owners FSG have publically made it known that the £142m Coutinho money is unrelated to VVD's monet, and is available for fresh spending.

I agree with your summary on CB's:
Maguire is better than Dunk, but in turn I rate Dunk as a better CB than Keane, Mustafi, etc.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
2 transfers have really f...ed the market £75m for VVD who may prove to be a worth it as he is a good CB but £42m for Sanchez ! Ajax must have laughed all the way to the bank.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Until Dunk gets an international call up and plays well I do not foresee an big bid coming in. I reckon Steve Cook of Bournemouth is very similar.
And this is the reason he won't be going to a top 6 club. If he can't even get into the England squad, why would they want him? I think he'll get his annual new contract, with a pay rise, and will lead us out next season.

Much as I love him, he's not a Lawrenson, Foster or Stevens.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
2 transfers have really f...ed the market £75m for VVD who may prove to be a worth it as he is a good CB but £42m for Sanchez ! Ajax must have laughed all the way to the bank.

Sanchez - a lot of football writers and many Spurs fans have been unimpressed with the frenetic game of Sanchez. Describing him as making mistakes, and having to use his pace to get out of jail.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Sanchez - a lot of football writers and many Spurs fans have been unimpressed with the frenetic game of Sanchez. Describing him as making mistakes, and having to use his pace to get out of jail.

I've always found the 'has to use his pace to get him out jail' argument an interesting and slightly unfair one, to be honest. It's a major attribute for any player yet it's often judged differently to, say, aerial ability, tackling, positioning etc- particularly for a centre back.

I get the idea that you can make up for lapses in concentration or mistakes in possession as a CB by having good pace, but the idea this is not a legitimate form of defending to be admired seems a little harsh.

(Not saying you were doing the above by the way, the phrase just stirred my thoughts on it!)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think Sanchez has been a bargain for Spurs. With Alderweireld missing most of the season I think he's done well alongside Vertonghen, they sit 3rd with a Champions League place guaranteed. Maybe if Chelsea had replaced Terry with Sanchez they might be in the top 4?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Any club...and I mean ANY club in need of a hard working, shot blocking, ball winning CB would look very hard at Dunk. His stats are outstanding.

In the PL there are very few better. If we keep him we are doing very well.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
For this please read:

Lewis Dunk has a good agent and said agent is sitting down with PB very soon to discuss a new contract. Said agent has stated to PB "Lewis doesn't want to leave but Arsenal, West Ham, and most other EPL clubs would pay him 50% more than he's currently getting so what's a boy to do?"

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
For this please read:

Lewis Dunk has a good agent and said agent is sitting down with PB very soon to discuss a new contract. Said agent has stated to PB "Lewis doesn't want to leave but Arsenal, West Ham, and most other EPL clubs would pay him 50% more than he's currently getting so what's a boy to do?"

I'd hope there's a point (say £40k per week) where he has enough money.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And this is the reason he won't be going to a top 6 club. If he can't even get into the England squad, why would they want him? I think he'll get his annual new contract, with a pay rise, and will lead us out next season.

Much as I love him, he's not a Lawrenson, Foster or Stevens.

Find myself agreeing with this. In the modern PL all the top clubs want international-quality players and Dunk can't even get into a poor England team, not even as a squad player. Why would Arsenal want him? As others have remarked the Arsenal fans would be very underwhelmed by his signing and the new manager needs them behind him.

And yes, I know the 'reason' he isn't picked for England is that Southgate is ex-Palace and is therefore automatically prejudiced against Brighton players, but just maybe there is a bit more to it than that.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'd hope there's a point (say £40k per week) where he has enough money.

For many sportsmen there isn't that point as they're seeing so much go to advisers, agents and accountants!

TypicalPalace

May 5, 2013
Find myself agreeing with this. In the modern PL all the top clubs want international-quality players and Dunk can't even get into a poor England team, not even as a squad player. Why would Arsenal want him? As others have remarked the Arsenal fans would be very underwhelmed by his signing and the new manager needs them behind him.

And yes, I know the 'reason' he isn't picked for England is that Southgate is ex-Palace and is therefore automatically prejudiced against Brighton players, but just maybe there is a bit more to it than that.

Southgate, the very same who refused to pick Zaha. What a great decision that turned out to be. As for Dunk, he's good just not as good as you, as Brighton fans believe he is. He would not replace either of Tomkins or Sakho for example. For what its worth I think he'll be with you next season.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Southgate, the very same who refused to pick Zaha. What a great decision that turned out to be. As for Dunk, he's good just not as good as you, as Brighton fans believe he is. He would not replace either of Tomkins or Sakho for example. For what its worth I think he'll be with you next season.
Who asked you for your completely incorrect input? This thread has **** all to do with your shithouse joke of a club.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Come on Mods.
The Nigels are posting more and more on non Palace threads which ends up derailing them. This is about Dunk, **** all to do with those shits .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here