Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Skysports, The Debate.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
On those occasions when I can hear what he has to say through his heavy accent, I find Gordon Strachen interesting and knowledgeable. I also love his sense of humour.

Can I have a quick word Gordon?

Yeah, 'velocity'

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Remember that 20 minute continuous rendition of "Ian Wright is full of s**t" from the North Stand very well in that tin pot cup match at the Goldstone well.
Him and Bright both attempting and missing an overhead kick from the same cross is still one of the funniest things I have seen in football.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Him and Bright both attempting and missing an overhead kick from the same cross is still one of the funniest things I have seen in football.

Haha...

I remember that well. Right in front of the North Stand. :thumbsup:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
When I spoke to Wrighty (name dropping) in a rather lovely old local I used to have near Grenfell tower, he lives up that way, he was very complimentary to me on what Brighton had done. That is all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ian Wright has been complimentary about the Albion all season, and unlike some bullshitting pundits has been fully au fait with the likes of Dunk, Duffy, Stephens and Gross. I liked him as a pundit anyway.

I assume that his love for Arsenal overrides that for Palace (unlike Mark Not-So-Bright).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He has been one of the pundits calling most loudly for Dunk to get an England call.

And has been very vocal in his admiration for Chris Hughton on plenty of occasions.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
SkySports; The Debate.

Worth a watch tonight, not sure I agree with Rosenoir, certainly don't agree with Sherwood,

About academy players getting experience. I think the crucial bit is learning technique when young, I see players lacking in technique and they'll not learn that playing in the lower leagues.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I thought it was excellent but then, I have had a drink. They were all very good with little anecdotes which I enjoy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
SkySports; The Debate.

Worth a watch tonight, not sure I agree with Rosenoir, certainly don't agree with Sherwood,

About academy players getting experience. I think the crucial bit is learning technique when young, I see players lacking in technique and they'll not learn that playing in the lower leagues.

Perhaps they're being too black and white, with different paths suiting different players? Players such as Vardy and Murray say they wouldn't have got where they they are now, without early years spent in the lower leagues and not being pampered in an academy. Whereas academy's and staying with their parent club throughout, also produced great players.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Perhaps they're being too black and white, with different paths suiting different players? Players such as Vardy and Murray say they wouldn't have got where they they are now, without early years spent in the lower leagues and not being pampered in an academy. Whereas academy's and staying with their parent club throughout, also produced great players.

It was difficult to trace a trend from Liam.

It seems that the young players should be kept at the academy to learn technique, (technique not actually mentioned). And play tippy-tappy football.

Or go out on loan to get experience, and learn to play football in the real world rough and tumble of the lower leagues like at Luton.

This week the pundits seemed to think learning their trade in the lower league like the Spanish reserve sides seemed to be best. (Sherwood) Probably top 6 opinion and unpopular with all other fans.

For what is worth, I think the opposite and they should learn technique at their parent club, best to pick a club outside the top 6 where the first team is in sight, and only go for a short loan at Championship sides or the Dutch League as the lower leagues are not good enough at a technical level.

Lingard way or Rashford way?

All players are really just on loan?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here