Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] How much can you live on ?

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
If you have no mortgage, 2 grand a month is a good marker for a couple to live comfortably on. This based on experience after 3 years of retirement for myself and the wife.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Possibility of redundancy this year and I'm working out the figures for if it happens.

Just wondered how much (or how little) other people live on as early, or part, retirement might be an option.

Live off my wages, mortgage paid off.
Have had to adapt, downsize, otherwise you'll have more going out than in :)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Plus: will you completely retire or will you actually pick up some other work, if you had to... for extras.

I will probably try and get a part-time job through the winter to pay for a couple of summer holidays

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Anything less than 2.5k (not including petrol or food) I'm a little bit screwed.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Since we moved back to the UK we have been living rather frugally. With 2 kids, we are living on about 1.7k a month, but we don't do holidays anyway so that is not really an issue. One major cost saving, if you don't mind second hand, is buy your clothes (not underwear obviously!) from charity shops. The quality of stuff available, particularly down south in the better off areas, is really rather good! Shop around for food - Aldi is generally cheaper than Lidl but not always. We don't drink, rarely have takeways and none of us have mobile phone contracts, so that all helps.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If you have no mortgage, 2 grand a month is a good marker for a couple to live comfortably on. This based on experience after 3 years of retirement for myself and the wife.

As a couple with no mortgage but eat out twice a week, go out elsewhere i.e. Theatre , pop concerts monthly , 4 -5 hols abroad a year , run 2 cars, shop in Waitrose , season ticket holders, etc, we always get through between £4-5k a month but I guess if we had to, we could live on £2.5 - 3k a month but it would mean a big lifestyle change

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Since we moved back to the UK we have been living rather frugally. With 2 kids, we are living on about 1.7k a month, but we don't do holidays anyway so that is not really an issue. One major cost saving, if you don't mind second hand, is buy your clothes (not underwear obviously!) from charity shops. The quality of stuff available, particularly down south in the better off areas, is really rather good! Shop around for food - Aldi is generally cheaper than Lidl but not always. We don't drink, rarely have takeways and none of us have mobile phone contracts, so that all helps.

fair play but all that combined with a couple of kids sounds an awful existence.

Each to their own and glad works for you

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If u are looking to save money for clothes, shop in primark you don't need to worry that someone else has worn them ( yuck ) and it's probably as cheap if not cheaper than 2nd hand charity shops !

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
As a couple with no mortgage but eat out twice a week, go out elsewhere i.e. Theatre , pop concerts monthly , 4 -5 hols abroad a year , run 2 cars, shop in Waitrose , season ticket holders, etc, we always get through between £4-5k a month but I guess if we had to, we could live on £2.5 - 3k a month but it would mean a big lifestyle change

My 2k a month guide did not include holidays. The question was how much to live on. We also have many holidays but these are separately financed.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Had to do some severe belt tightening a few years ago as my partner went back to college and there wasn't an option of taking on debt. Freesat/Freeview for TV; SIM-only phone; Lidl/Aldi/greengrocers/ethnic supermarkets instead of Tesco all came in and I still do the lot of them despite the tap being turned back on income-wise. Leaves the cash for more fun stuff basically.

One thing that needs a bit of cash to do at the start but saved quite a lot once I could afford to do it was not paying anything by monthly instalment where possible - insurance and motor tax mainly as property tax didn't have any surcharge. 200-300 saved a year in interest/'convenience fees'. Absolutely anything else that's left going out monthly needs to be reviewed - got my mortgage protection from 26 to 9.90 a month for a bit of awkward paperwork

Managed to cut about a grand a month from outgoings with some pain - managed holiday that was funded nearly entirely off loyalty points earned before. Definitely ended up eating better too.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Wife is on Stat maternity pay at the moment so currently feeling the pinch. Will feel positively flush when she goes back part time. It's odd, because we felt poor before when she was full time. It's weird how you gain a bit of perspective.

I remember when we first bought the house about 6 years ago and we were going through every bill and where we could lower its cost. My wife said "And I suppose, in the worst case, you could drop your season ticket".

I literally laughed in her face.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What about Pension Scheme ... or does your 'boss' pay that?
He opted me out [emoji23]
Should probably start thinking about it though..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here