Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Happy VE day everybody! WW2 films....

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Where Eagles Dare - Derrin Nesbitt, the 'too blond,' big lipped Gestapo officer is a Brighton boy who lives in Worthing. Mary Ure and Patrick Whymark were both alcoholics and died at 42 and 44 respectively.

The helicopter that lands in the Schloss Adler wasn't built until 1947. Most of the women characters in the film have 1960s hair and make-up (film made in 1969).

Alistair McLean wrote it in 6 weeks.

NEXT!!!

Apart from that, it was very good.

A little bit like in 'Escape to Victory' after the pitch invasion following Sylvester Stallone's penalty save, when some of the youths, supposedly in occupied France during the early 1940s, did so in Adidas trainers, denim and late 70's/early 80's Mod/Ska attire and haircuts etc.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Bridge on the River Kwai
Millions like us
Ice Cold in Alex
The Damn Busters
Battle of Britain
A Bridge too far
The Cruel Sea
Sink the Bismarck
The Longest Day
The Sea Chase

to name a few

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
In Darkness (2011) - A dramatization of one man's rescue of Jewish refugees in the German-occupied Polish city of Lvov.

Arthroid (2016) - Based on the extraordinary true story of Operation Anthropoid, the WWII mission to assassinate SS General Reinhard Heydrich, the main architect behind the Final Solution and the Reich's third in command after Hitler and Himmler.

The big red one
Desert rats (1953)
Desert fox (1951)

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Operation Daybreak

Is one I have seen recently and concerns the assasination of Reinhard Heydrich.

Excellent true story though the cinematography is perhaps a little bit dodgy !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Apart from that, it was very good.

A little bit like in 'Escape to Victory' after the pitch invasion following Sylvester Stallone's penalty save, when some of the youths, supposedly in occupied France during the early 1940s, did so in Adidas trainers, denim and late 70's/early 80's Mod/Ska attire and haircuts etc.

At least they existed back then - albeit probably in short supply in 1940s Paris.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I hope the original one. The latest version was very poor and discussed at length on here before.
There’s absolutely no way you can describe Nolan’s portrayal as poor, sorry but I’m not having that. It was universally praised by critics and public alike. Perhaps you didn’t like. But that doesn’t mean it was poor. Probably nearer the truth that your judgement is

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Battle of the Bulge, epic 60s action! More recently, I really enjoyed Fury starring Brad Pitt. Good to see the hell faced by tank crews in the same way Memp.Belle did for Bombers

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Another fantastic film, which includes graphic detail of the holocaust and is a true story, is ' The Pianist '

Warning does include some classical piano music !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gonna watch 'Dunkirk ' tonight with a bottle of bitter, gala pie, stilton and pickle.

:clap2:

You will be amazed at the mileage Tom Hardy gets out of his Spitfire.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There was an 18year old from Shoreham who was one of the casualties. Every year when we have the memorial dinner, I make of point of looking for his photo.

It might be him! Seems a couple of years too young though but it still might be...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here