Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your school trips

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Coombe Road Junior school trips to Burwash outdoor pursuit centre for canoeing and rock climbing. Came home with a suitcase full of mud.
Also Coombe road skiing trip to France somewhere but the snow on the nursery slopes had melted and we had to go higher up.

Patcham Fawcett day trip to Regents Park open air theatre to see Henry V. We got there well early and were allowed to go feral for a couple of hours. My mate had a go on some kid's skateboard, fell off and broke the bottle of Brut 33 he had with him "in case there's some birds". No-one sat within 3 seats of him in the theatre, you could smell him from miles away; amazingly the birds managed to keep their hands off him.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We've told Jnr, now he's in secondary school, he can only go on one 'proper' trip.

He came home a few months ago asking to go on a ski-trip.

Naturally I said 'how much?'

He started to get cagey talking about subsidised if enough go.
So I changed tact and asked 'ok then, where is the school ski trip talking place?'
To which he replied...

...California.

I think it was about £1500.
Ski Trip - I forgot about that. I was due to go and my Nan had a wobbly about me going (can't remember why) so I didn't go. :tantrum:

My sister went to Barcelona on a coach with no overnight stops - glad I missed that one.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Memorable school trips:

Probably my first ever at infants school was to Tilgate Park / Lake. One boy threw his sandwiches to the ducks in error and only had a couple of stales slices of bread by the time we had our lunch.

Also early on was a trip to the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum, memorable for the jettied toilet of Bayleaf House - http://lionels.orpheusweb.co.uk/Singleton/Homes/Bayleaf/BayLeaf.html

A trip to Amsterdam in my 1st year of secondary school. We were left to our own devices in the city centre for about 3 hours.......piggy backs duly provided to allow us to view the peepshow machines. Sales of "novelty" playing cards must have soared that week in the red light district!

Happy days.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A trip to Amsterdam in my 1st year of secondary school. We were left to our own devices in the city centre for about 3 hours.......piggy backs duly provided to allow us to view the peepshow machines. Sales of "novelty" playing cards must have soared that week in the red light district!

Happy days.

I wonder what the teachers were doing for those 3 hours :lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was going to say "you have to wonder what goes on in the minds of the teachers". I mean, a price tag that most parents can't get near AND a 14 hour or so flight full of delinquent (but, presumably, middle class at that price) "cherubs". If I was sat anywhere near them I'd ask for my money back off the airline and try to trip up one of the teachers when he was on his way to the Kermit.

But, of course, what goes through their minds is "YIPPEE, A F***ING FREE SKIING TRIP TO CALIFORNIA, WOOOOOOHOOOOOO"

It does appear to be a competition between the schools nowadays. Two of the best from schools the junior Westdene's attend / used to attend include a business studies trip to New York to study how the stock exchange works ( ** cough ** LONDON ! ) and a football tour to ..... Jamaica !

For me Dieppe was as far as I got to go when at school.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Geography field trip, staying in a caravan park outside Swanage when the 1987 hurricane hit. Evacuated around midnight, just as well, as when we returned some of the caravans had been blown over.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Sellafield Nuclear Reprocessing Plant in 1985.

We got caught smuggling cans on to the bus.

There was no loo on the coach either and David Foster, after several cans, decided to take a leak in a carrier bag which he then shoved through a skylight causing rivers of urine to run down the windows.

And yes, we had fission chips for our lunch. We really did.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our secondary school took a coach load of us to London in a half term holiday, to go to the museums.

They considered that us 14 year olds were old enough to go and do our own thing for the day, so we did and we went to Soho for a different type of education.

These days schools closely moniter kids on trips all the way up to 16. Safeguarding! Our year 11 son was even told when he could and couldn't cross central London roads.

There was something far more relaxed about a 70's/80's education.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
We went on the Grand Union canal with my junior school, was brilliant.

Secondary school was naff for trips, I guess a symptom of being at school during many years of teachers strikes. Butlins at Bognor was pretty much it other than Chessington.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
“... chipping one in for Gordon Smith... IT’S THERE!! Gordon Smith for Brighton after 14 minutes! The underdogs have taken the lead; perhaps just what the Cup Final needed”.

Thank you John Motson for leaving that seared into my memory.

Bonkers. I like it :bowdown:

Oddest school trip I had was in the early 80s. We took a train from the station nearest our school to Victoria. Tube train to Paddington. Intercity 125 to Reading. Local train to Gatwick and then finally a train back to school.
No visits or anything, just a day out on the trains.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I remember going to France with my school in 66 when I was 10. (I remember my dad working overtime to pay for this). Had just watched Hitchcock's Psycho the previous week on tv and it put the shits up me for obvious reasons. And all the hotel had were showers just off our dorm type room. There was no way I or the other kids who watched the film were going to take showers. Anyone who were going to take showers were reminded by the others about what happened in the film. We must have honked by the end of the 3 days.The hotel had a dimly-lit coffee bar/music room downstairs and it made me feel grown-up drinking coke from a bottle (no straws) and listening to the latest hits. I had a great time doing what all 10 year kids do on holiday with your classmates.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Went to Paris, for a week, way back in the early 80's.
Apart from the scenery, the only endearing memory, was of one of the teachers who came with us, was dicked to carry over all of the pupils spending money, in a black brief case.
When you wanted some of your dosh, he came round to your hotel room with said brief case, hand cuffed to his arm.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I remember going to France with my school in 66 when I was 10. (I remember my dad working overtime to pay for this). Had just watched Hitchcock's Psycho the previous week on tv and it put the shits up me for obvious reasons. And all the hotel had were showers just off our dorm type room. There was no way I or the other kids who watched the film were going to take showers. Anyone who were going to take showers were reminded by the others about what happened in the film. We must have honked by the end of the 3 days.The hotel had a dimly-lit coffee bar/music room downstairs and it made me feel grown-up drinking coke from a bottle (no straws) and listening to the latest hits. I had a great time doing what all 10 year kids do on holiday with your classmates.

Then some kindly teachers, Father O’Kelly and Monsignor Connolly, offered to help in the showers to allay any concerns.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Those school day trips to Dieppe were eventful. Loads of kids in a foreign country, trying to get booze (usually crème de menthe), eating loads of sickly stuff from the patisserie as that was all they could remember from their French lessons and the buying bangers. The four hour boat back was like a scene from a horror movie with kids throwing up everywhere, the gangways awash with puke. When it pulled back into Newhaven you could hardly read the Sealink signs on the side of the old Senlac for trails of sick dripping down.

I did a few of those trips, returning was a joy because I had to meet my dad at the BTP port offices.

I only remember one field trip to the Cuckmere Valley for geography. I think there were trips abroad to a school ship in the Med, but way out of our price range.

Reminds me of kayaking trips down the Cuckmere, great times :)

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
1 day trip to Dieppe, Year 7 from Hove Park School.

Mum wouldn't/couldn't pay the 50 quid or so for the trip.So, instead, she took me to the pick up point at 5:30 am and just told me to go onto the coach and sit down (11 years old at the time).
So I did as I was told, and was belly to the floor when the teacher did the head count.

She didn't catch me until I was letting off bangers in Dieppe. She was mortified as I didn't have a passport or anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here