Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How big a bonus is staying up rather then promotion in the transfer window?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The 3 promoted sides will be in the top 5 sides expected to go down. Even Swansea who looked like they would be relegated before Paul Clement arrived were able to sign Tammy Abraham ahead of both Newcastle and us. So many players will consider us a better option. Some great results in the next week would help us immensely.

However we don't tend to follow the pack in a mad attempt to sign players with premier league experience of failing to stay up after a relegation fight. I also would imagine we have a good idea already of the players we will be signing.

Agreed. We won't be moving for the obvious names EVERY club know about = a rip-off Dutch Auction and greedy wage demands.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Will the transfer window be swinging closed earlier this year? I know it was talked about and agreed on, but is it from this summer? I bloomin’ hope so. It was interminable last year.

Thursday 9th August,
Season starts 11th August.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
The world cup will be more exciting this year looking for potential targets! �� there will be a million and one threads on those targets as well.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
We are definitely well served by having the chairman we have, the ground we have, the infrastructure we have and the manager we have...not to mention leafy, seasidey Sussex and uber cool Brighton.

If I was a pro I'd be looking at clubs in the PL now..Wolves, Cardiff, Burnley and thinking...no thanks mate. Obviously we won't be attracting the real cream, but of tier 2 prospects I'd say we are very high on the desirability front.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Has anyone seen the promotional video shown to prospective new singing?

I have never seen one, but a company my wife works with makes them for 2 other premership sides. They are all bespoke and focus on players from the same region - so if South American, they would interview Jose and Ulloa for example. They then film the resturants and places those players recomend and visit. They also show the ground, training facility and staff they will meet. I heard Klopp requested one of all the staff at Liverpool so he could learn all their names before arriving for the first time.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I'm pretty sure that Wolves will spend BIG this summer. They are owned by Fosun and they are ridiculously aggressive.

I'd rather we keep to our relatively modest budget, for long-term security.

larus

We are definitely well served by having the chairman we have, the ground we have, the infrastructure we have and the manager we have...not to mention leafy, seasidey Sussex and uber cool Brighton.

If I was a pro I'd be looking at clubs in the PL now..Wolves, Cardiff, Burnley and thinking...no thanks mate. Obviously we won't be attracting the real cream, but of tier 2 prospects I'd say we are very high on the desirability front.

And there was me hoping we’d be singing Pogba this summer. I mean, Stephens must have thought it was likely as he put him in his pocket to look after him.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The world cup will be more exciting this year looking for potential targets! �� there will be a million and one threads on those targets as well.

I'd be very suprised if we signed any players after they have made any appearances in this summers world cup

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The World Cup Finals will delay potentially signing anyone who is involved in them.

Not necessarily since the open window has to be brought 3 weeks forward to 17 May because the clubs agreed to close on 9 August and it has to be open 12 weeks. There is only 25 days between WCF and closing of window. Makes singing German players difficult..

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not necessarily since the open window has to be brought 3 weeks forward to 17 May because the clubs agreed to close on 9 August and it has to be open 12 weeks. There is only 25 days between WCF and closing of window. Makes singing German players difficult..

Not if you're a Spanish or Italian club.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I will be surprised if many (any) WC player signs for anyone before the Finals. Their value won't go down and a few good performances will make it jump up and put a lot of money in their pockets.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I'm not sure too many players would be happy to follow in Uwe's footprints here, he's barely played for three years. Also, they'll be aware that Suttner has failed to get into the team due to his direct rival for the place being considered better defensively. Gross has been fantastic without question, but our other Bundesliga signings haven't worked out well either for us, or for the players.

I think both signings worked out fine for us...Uwe when called upon has been excellent, and particularly at the end of last season was very much needed.

Suttner when played has also been good, and provides competition at left back, exactly what he was bought for.

So while I agree both players may have wanted many more games - I think the club got exactly what they were looking for and wouldn’t be disappointed in either signing.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure that Wolves will spend BIG this summer. They are owned by Fosun and they are ridiculously aggressive.

I'd rather we keep to our relatively modest budget, for long-term security.

There is a huge assumption here that a relatively modest outlay will buy us long-term security. Of course you may be right, but in all the deserved euphoria of Friday night let's be realistic and accept that we are a team that sits on average three points above the drop. It could well have been different. I am NOT criticising the club in any way -we did not have the PL riches over years and the team has performed better than expected, all things considered. But if we are to push on and look for , say, a final position of about 9th next season, then I think that it will be an expensive business. Hitherto, the club has favoured players in the 3 to 15 million price bracket, but if we are to progress, then 2 or 3 yet more expensive acquisitions will be needed, though I accept that bargains are still to be had, Herr Gross being an obvious example.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Has anyone seen the promotional video shown to prospective new singing?

I was absolutely certain that there must be such a video / DVD as it would be silly not to demonstrate to potential new signings just what BHA has to offer. Never seen it but would love to do so.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No advantage over Wolves.
Decent advantage over Cardiff.
Why the difference?

Much the same would have been said of us and Huddersfield 12 months ago, by the likes of West Brom, Stoke, Southampton & Swansea.
Given how sensible our owner and manager are, I think we are less complacent than many other teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here