Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Close season signings- who is on Chris Hughton's (realistic) wishlist?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We need better players in every position if we are going to keep on improving - but that just ain't going to happen. We have to prioritise. First of all, we've got gaps at GK and CB which need to be plugged, unless we are going to use youngsters from the U23s to step up if necessary - which seems very unlikely. Then we need attacking options - upfront and at CM (especially attacking - aka goal-scoring - midfield) - and these are the sort of players who aren't going to come cheap. Very, very expensive, in fact.
Add to that, it looks as if we might need a fourth winger (unless we keep Skalak as an option, or maybe use Gyokeres or Connelly).
That all leaves fullbacks a long way down the list of priorities, like it or not. After all, we've got four good full backs - OK, half decent ones if you want to be hypercritical - and we managed a comfortable 15th. place in the PL with them in the team.
I'm not saying the club shouldn't - or won't - acquire another FB during the summer, if the right one comes along at the right price - but high priority? No, way down the list.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Yep, lack of goals from out full backs is the be all and end of all our shortcomings. Amazing CH and the recruitment team can't see this - two full backs scoring double figures an absolute must........sod getting any strikers, or attacking midfielders, in.........

On the other hand, we've finished a comfortable 15th. in the PL with the full backs we've got. We can't replace all eleven of our first team, so where on the list of priorities do you seriously think new full backs should be?

Going forward isn't just scoring goals like you have sarcastically interpreted. It's running forward, passing forward, overlapping, crossing, maybe even taking someone on. All these things Bong is very poor at, as solid as he is defensively. Schelleto is better going forward but not so good defensively and think we could do with someone to replace him and someone else to give Bong real competition as Suttner doesn't seem to be that player. I'd have at least one new full back pretty high on a list.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Going forward isn't just scoring goals like you have sarcastically interpreted. It's running forward, passing forward, overlapping, crossing, maybe even taking someone on. All these things Bong is very poor at, as solid as he is defensively. Schelleto is better going forward but not so good defensively and think we could do with someone to replace him and someone else to give Bong real competition as Suttner doesn't seem to be that player. I'd have at least one new full back pretty high on a list.

We've got higher priorities than replacing our full backs. End of.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Absolutely - although I'd love to sign Bernando, who of course also plays defensive midfield.

After that I'd throw massive money at buying a goal scoring central midfielder - which would probably see off a big chunk of this year's budget.

Anything else is a bonus.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Absolutely - although I'd love to sign Bernando, who of course also plays defensive midfield.

After that I'd throw massive money at buying a goal scoring central midfielder - which would probably see off a big chunk of this year's budget.

Anything else is a bonus.

Why buy a player would can't perform his main attribute as he'll be spending all game just in front of our penalty area.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Considering our preferred set up of 4-5-1 and how involved our wingers need to be in defending its clear that Full backs our the weakest areas on the pitch. Yet as we don't often leave them exposed the 4 we have are very capable of continuing for next season

I'm certain the recruitment team will have identified some suitable candidates for each position and if they are available for a decent price then we will try and sign them. But priorities have to be a central midfielder, a winger and a defender who can cover CB

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Nice ! Welcome to Bernardo. :albion2:

1. Ryan
2. New Signing ( Goalkeeper)
3. Steele ( HGP )
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Suttner
7. Bong
8. Balogun
9. Dunk ( HGP )
10. Duffy ( HGP )
11. New Signing ( Central Defender)
12. Bernardo
13. Stephens ( HGP )
14. Kayal
15. Pröpper
16. New Signing ( Central Midfield)
17. Groß
18. Knockaert
19. Izquierdo
20. March ( HGP )
21. Skalak or New Signing
22. Murray ( HGP )
23. Andone
24. Locadia
25. Baldock ( HGP ) or Hemed or New Signing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26. Towell
27. Norwood

3-5 more to go.

A central defender looks most urgent, with central midfield a key further signing.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Nice ! Welcome to Bernardo. :albion2:

1. Ryan
2. New Signing ( Goalkeeper)
3. Steele ( HGP )
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Suttner
7. Bong
8. Balogun
9. Dunk ( HGP )
10. Duffy ( HGP )
11. New Signing ( Central Defender)
12. Bernardo
13. Stephens ( HGP )
14. Kayal
15. Pröpper
17. Groß
18. Knockaert
19. Izquierdo
20. March ( HGP )
22. Murray ( HGP )
23. Andone
24. Locadia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26. Towell
27. Norwood

3-5 more to go.

A central defender looks most urgent, with central midfield a key further signing.

Bet the CB ends up being Moore, considering all time spent chasing him..

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If course we still need a central defender, but given that Bernardo can play there, the urgency and priority must have dropped slightly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought that he was listed as a midfielder who can play full back but havent seen any mention of him as a CB.

Left back willing to walk on the wild side in search of fame, glory and a contract renewal, is how I read it...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Welcome to David Button

1. Ryan
2. Button ( HGP )
3. Steele ( HGP )
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Bernardo
7. Bong
8. Suttner or New Signing ( Defender / Defensive Midfielder )
9. Balogun
10. Dunk ( HGP )
11. Duffy ( HGP )
12. New Signing ( Central Defender)
13. Stephens ( HGP )
14. Kayal
15. Pröpper
17. Groß
18. Knockaert
19. Izquierdo
20. March ( HGP )
22. Murray ( HGP )
23. Andone
24. Locadia
26. Towell
27. Norwood

2-5 more to go.

Need to sort out central midfield now. HGP number looking better.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Welcome to David Button

1. Ryan
2. Button ( HGP )
3. Steele ( HGP )
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Bernardo
7. Bong
8. Suttner or New Signing ( Defender / Defensive Midfielder )
9. Balogun
10. Dunk ( HGP )
11. Duffy ( HGP )
12. New Signing ( Central Defender)
13. Stephens ( HGP )
14. Kayal
15. Pröpper
17. Groß
18. Knockaert
19. Izquierdo
20. March ( HGP )
22. Murray ( HGP )
23. Andone
24. Locadia
26. Towell
27. Norwood

2-5 more to go.

Need to sort out central midfield now. HGP number looking better.

Personally, I think Skalak should be pushed into the Towell and Norwood group, and a new signing winger should be highlighted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
3 more required: CB, CM & winger, so Moore? Yves? Not sure who?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If we sign Moore or Hayden our HGP requirement is met :)

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
About 3 or 4 players we have never heard of
All will be signed for undisclosed fees
After 3 games each they will all be derided as crap
Six months later we will decide they were rather good signings after all
Sound familiar?
Totally different to last summer / autumn obviously

Above was as of 6th May 2018 re post 2 on this thread

Tonight we can celebrate the arrival of Benardo, Bissouma, Balogan and Andone - all looking rather good

All be it I was slightly wrong as we all knew of Andone - he looked total class at Huddersfield too

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here