Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Close season signings- who is on Chris Hughton's (realistic) wishlist?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just seen a report on Instagram saying we've had a £20million bid rejected in the last few hours for Thomas Delaney.

That's 6 gross.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Transfer window will be quieter and less hectic for all clubs, since they've sensibly closed it BEFORE the season starts. You don't get the madness of transfer activity overlapping with prep for games (unless you're Burnley).

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I expect us to sign Leo next week, and maybe Powell early in the window as well.

Hopefully the key central midfield signing also fairly quickly.

And then a bit of a wait for 2 defenders.

*guesswork*

Ulloa has done nothing to warrant a contract unfortunately. I think we need back up right back and central defender - Tomori would fit that bill. then a central midfielder and a forward

cocamalia

Jan 1, 2011
Enis Bardhi at Levante is a classy little player. Would take a bit of time to adjust to physicality of Premier League, but has bags of potential. Great feet, commits players, good end product.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think we need to move on from Ulloa, yes he played fantastic for us a few years ago, but for me he's past his best now and I can't believe that we can't find another target man who is more mobile!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Thomas Delaney flirts openly with a change in the Premier League. So far, however, only one club has made a concrete offer according to the MEIN-WERDER information - and Werder is too low.
The principle is always the same, it is based on a simple promise: If an attractive offer from an attractive club comes, it will be discussed open-ended. That's the way it always has been. Werder relies on transfer revenue. And it's usually also a good deal for both sides. Werder offers the opportunity to achieve a certain footballing class. The players use Bremen as a stage to increase the market value and recommend themselves for a larger club. In Miroslav Klose, Diego or Mesut Özil, this principle worked wonderfully, club and player have benefited. Without the promise to be ready for sale with a good offer, many a player would not have switched to Bremen.

This includes Thomas Delaney, who was transferred in January 2016 for a relatively modest two million euros from FC Copenhagen to Bremen. At the time, Delaney was promised to be able to make the intermediate step to the Premier League in Bremen. England is his goal, he has never doubted that since his arrival in Bremen. Werder has accordingly promised Delaney to negotiate a change at the appropriate opportunity.

The fitting opportunity will come sometime in the summer, so at least Delaney plans it. "It's a thin line to be honest and respectful to the club at the same time," he said last Saturday after beating Leverkusen. A remarkable sentence in which there is a lot of substance. It would be respectful to the club to see their contract as what it is by 2021: a long-term employment relationship. It would be honest to formulate his change request clearly and clearly. Combining both is very difficult.

A thin line

On the fine line, Delaney has been doing quite well so far. "Thomas says that you can and should not exclude anything in football 100 percent. How he speaks is absolutely legitimate, "says Frank Baumann. "It's all right and understandable when he says that he wants to change when there's a top offer when the clubs agree." For Baumann himself, it's not a very easy situation either. A player who is under contract until 2021 and still speaks publicly about his intention to change, he would have under normal circumstances measure. But there is this promise that lured Delaney.

Last Friday, Delaney's advisor Michael Stensgaard visited the Weserstadion office. In conversation with Baumann it was about Delaney gone, but also to other players, not worth mentioning, said sports director and advisor then in similar wording. Whatever the truth, in essence, it should still have gone to the future of Delaney. The meeting is an indication that a farewell is approaching. So it could be that the goalless draw against Leverkusen was Delaney's last game in the Weserstadion. "I dont know. I want to be honest: what happens happens, "he said after the match. That too is amazing in times when the truth in football has become a more flexible term. Between the lines, Delaney makes it clear that he is planning his departure.

Clarity probably after the World Cup

An association keeps appearing in Delaney's plans for the future: Brighton & Hove Albion. Already last summer, the club from the English Premier League put out the feelers. Even then, Delaney would like to change, tell people involved. But Werder did not want to. Now there is the next attempt. According to information from MY WERDER Brighton is currently the only club that has a concrete offer including transfer fee deposited at Werder. However, the sum is so low that it gives Werder no reason to enter into negotiations. Willingness to talk it should give from Bremen side only from 20 million euros.

Where Delaney moves, so probably will turn out only after the World Cup. He wants to use the tournament in Russia with Denmark to earn several options for a change. Brighton is England, but is one of the clubs that are more in the lower half of the table. The "Seagulls" (gulls) have secured the league only towards the end of the season.

With two, three good appearances at the World Cup, Delaney could recommend for larger clubs. And so is his calculation. Werder has not given up the emotional leader yet. Against Leverkusen Delaney provided evidence of what makes him so valuable. He compensates for lacking footballing class with will and commitment. With so much will and effort that games can be won. Or defeats avoided. Nobody gives up such a player voluntarily, let alone a coach. "I try to convey that development is taking place at Werder and that players can still develop here," said Florian Kohfeldt some time ago. It was also about the future of Delaney. "I think a sporting perspective is important for the boys.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
"Quieter" could also mean less frantic at the end because we've already done the deals for key signings now our status is confirmed? Remember how Gross just arrived out of the blue and the Propper deal was done pretty early from what I recall

Propper arrived three days before the season started, after the Renato Neto deal fell through, once he'd failed his medical.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
About 3 or 4 players we have never heard of
All will be signed for undisclosed fees
After 3 games each they will all be derided as crap
Six months later we will decide they were rather good signings after all
Sound familiar?
Totally different to last summer / autumn obviously

:ffsparr:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
An association keeps appearing in Delaney's plans for the future: Brighton & Hove Albion. Already last summer, the club from the English Premier League put out the feelers. Even then, Delaney would like to change, tell people involved. But Werder did not want to. Now there is the next attempt. According to information from MY WERDER Brighton is currently the only club that has a concrete offer including transfer fee deposited at Werder. However, the sum is so low that it gives Werder no reason to enter into negotiations. Willingness to talk it should give from Bremen side only from 20 million euros.

Where Delaney moves, so probably will turn out only after the World Cup. He wants to use the tournament in Russia with Denmark to earn several options for a change. Brighton is England, but is one of the clubs that are more in the lower half of the table. The "Seagulls" (gulls) have secured the league only towards the end of the season.

With two, three good appearances at the World Cup, Delaney could recommend for larger clubs. And so is his calculation. Werder has not given up the emotional leader yet. Against Leverkusen Delaney provided evidence of what makes him so valuable. He compensates for lacking footballing class with will and commitment. With so much will and effort that games can be won. Or defeats avoided. Nobody gives up such a player voluntarily, let alone a coach. "I try to convey that development is taking place at Werder and that players can still develop here," said Florian Kohfeldt some time ago. It was also about the future of Delaney. "I think a sporting perspective is important for the boys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here