Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Close season signings- who is on Chris Hughton's (realistic) wishlist?

Stat Brother

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This might well be what you want to happen, but I'd wager a large amount of money that it doesn't happen. If Gross is fit, we'll play a 4-4-1-1 formation for the majority of next season. As we did this season. The big (current) question is who starts up front, as [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] asks. I think there are two probable ways of answering this question for the early (ie c10 games) part of the season (and provided there isn't a new forward signing):
1. Murray retains the shirt, Andone and/or Locadia comes on as sub
2. Murray and (probably) Andone rotate, with Murray playing at home, Andone away.
Unlike [MENTION=29553]Rohan Ince's Python[/MENTION] I don't see Andone as a Baldock-type. He's played on his own up front most the time. He's just a different type of target man to Murray, with pace, movement and strength, as opposed to height, hold-up play and strength as with Murray.
If Murray starts any league games next season the recruitment has failed and chances are so will the Albion.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
We badly need two full backs imo. Think Scheletto is so poor (some of his performances last year were pathetic and everything I didn't want to see if Albion ever became a PL club) and could do with a better left back. Not a fan of Bong but he has earned the right to compete for his place but it would be great if we had a player who could contribute going forward.

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We badly need two full backs imo. Think Scheletto is so poor (some of his performances last year were pathetic and everything I didn't want to see if Albion ever became a PL club) and could do with a better left back. Not a fan of Bong but he has earned the right to compete for his place but it would be great if we had a player who could contribute going forward.

Totally agree. Bruno is still good, but FB’s clearly better than Bong and Schelotto, would massively improve our first 11 and prospects.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Welcome to Jason Steele. And welcome also is the rumour that Murray may have become a HGP.

1. Ryan
2. Krul ( HGP ) or New Signing ( Goalkeeper)
3. Steele ( HGP )
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Suttner
7. Bong
8. Balogun
9. Dunk ( HGP )
10. Duffy ( HGP )
11. New Signing ( Defender)
12. New Signing ( Defence / Defensive Central Midfield)
13. Stephens ( HGP )
14. Kayal
15. Pröpper
16. New Signing ( Central Attacking Midfield)
17. Groß
18. Knockaert
19. Izquierdo
20. March ( HGP )
21. Skalak or New Signing
22. Murray ( maybe now HGP )
23. Andone
24. Locadia
25. Baldock ( HGP ) or Hemed or New Signing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26. Towell
27. Norwood

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Welcome to Jason Steele. And welcome also is the rumour that Murray may have become a HGP.

1. Ryan
2. Krul ( HGP ) or New Signing ( Goalkeeper)
3. Steele ( HGP )
4. Bruno
5. Schelotto
6. Suttner
7. Bong
8. Balogun
9. Dunk ( HGP )
10. Duffy ( HGP )
11. New Signing ( Defender)
12. New Signing ( Defence / Defensive Central Midfield)
13. Stephens ( HGP )
14. Kayal
15. Pröpper
16. New Signing ( Central Attacking Midfield)
17. Groß
18. Knockaert
19. Izquierdo
20. March ( HGP )
21. Skalak or New Signing
22. Murray ( maybe now HGP )
23. Andone
24. Locadia
25. Baldock ( HGP ) or Hemed or New Signing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
26. Towell
27. Norwood

Surely Jason Steele is a HGP?

Would that mean we'd have our eight providing Murray is? (also how has Murray become one?)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Surely Jason Steele is a HGP?

Would that mean we'd have our eight providing Murray is? (also how has Murray become one?)
Yes, he is - I amended my original post after forgetting.

There was a post on NSC claiming ITK info that the club had successfully appealed Murray's status - nothing more than that I am afraid.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Yes, he is - I amended my original post after forgetting.

There was a post on NSC claiming ITK info that the club had successfully appealed Murray's status - nothing more than that I am afraid.

Cheers BV

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, lack of goals from out full backs is the be all and end of all our shortcomings. Amazing CH and the recruitment team can't see this - two full backs scoring double figures an absolute must........sod getting any strikers, or attacking midfielders, in.........

On the other hand, we've finished a comfortable 15th. in the PL with the full backs we've got. We can't replace all eleven of our first team, so where on the list of priorities do you seriously think new full backs should be?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We've already recruited Balogun who can play either left or right back, and this Bernando can also play defensive midfield as well - which puts him on our wishlist for sure.

Also, it is not totally out of the question that Suttner could leave, or go out on loan.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Yes wouldn't be surprised if Suttner left, it's a shame but he isn't quick enough for this league. In the Championship yes he would have been a good option to have.

I think RB we're now covered with the option of Balogun. However LB? Hmm need another player who can defend well but is also quicker than Bong/Suttner.

Easy eh!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I think that’s incredibly harsh on Schelotto. Yes he was very poor in a couple of matches but also our best player in a couple. There was a lot of love for him on this board at one point when he was playing really well.

I like him and the logic is players coming from overseas need a season to settle so I think he could be even better last year.

IMO an upgrade at left back is more of a priority. Bong did well, certainly better than I thought he would do but when I look at our current first choice 11, left back is where I think we’re weakest.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
neither Bong or Schelletto are the grab the game by the scruff of the neck types.....those players cost a lot more than a few million....i am quite happy with them both although bong dropped some proper clangers last season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think that’s incredibly harsh on Schelotto. Yes he was very poor in a couple of matches but also our best player in a couple. There was a lot of love for him on this board at one point when he was playing really well.

I like him and the logic is players coming from overseas need a season to settle so I think he could be even better last year.

IMO an upgrade at left back is more of a priority. Bong did well, certainly better than I thought he would do but when I look at our current first choice 11, left back is where I think we’re weakest.

I agree res Schelotto. Yes he has a few defensive weaknesses, but in our home game at least he was absolutely scintillating, has an awful lot of pace too, which is something we lack as a team.

He is a foreign player with still only a few Premier League games behind him, over time and with more games under his belt he is only going to get better and better. A long term successor for Bruno l hope.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
neither Bong or Schelletto are the grab the game by the scruff of the neck types.....those players cost a lot more than a few million....i am quite happy with them both although bong dropped some proper clangers last season.

What exactly is a 'grab the game by the scruff of the neck type"? I only ask because l really have no idea.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What exactly is a 'grab the game by the scruff of the neck type"? I only ask because l really have no idea.

Can I also ask just how many proper clangers did Bong actually drop last season?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Can I also ask just how many proper clangers did Bong actually drop last season?

Well l thought all of our full backs, be it Bruno, Schelotto, Bong, or Suttner, did ok last season. It was their first experience of the Premier League, and at the end of the day we are Brighton & Hove Albion, not Barcelona.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here