Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How Shameful Was The Turnout For Leicester's Lap Of Appreciation?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My point was that....there is no evidence for this (getting rid). You cite the wild fluctuation of form as rebellion (good puntuated by willful bad) . I interpert it as a period of over achievement by a modest side (meh, punctuated by Bananarama).

How clear do I need to be? FFS....why do I actually bother? :wozza::shootself
Amazing how much you read into a handful of words. Whilst there is no evidence, there have been rumours/speculation around the last 3 managers that you don't see around other clubs.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...-news/leicester-city-claude-puel-news-1539577
https://foxesofleicester.com/2018/05/06/the-nail-in-the-coffin-have-the-foxes-quit-on-puel/
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...s/leicester-city-players-downed-tools-1536682 (Redknapp, like me, got it wrong about Shakespeare as they actually were upset about that - again, not widely discussed with other clubs.)
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/19/leicester-city-players-craig-shakespeare-sacked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39079683
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/leicester-city-sacking-claudio-ranieri-1251817
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/591015/Claudio-Ranieri-Nigel-Pearson-Leicester-news
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...-players-not-behind-his-sacking-idUKKBN17C2GL

Obviously all speculation but you rarely see this in one manager leaving, let alone two and likely soon to be three. Still, you have shot yourself apparently so I am talking to myself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Amazing how much you read into a handful of words. Whilst there is no evidence, there have been rumours/speculation around the last 3 managers that you don't see around other clubs.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...-news/leicester-city-claude-puel-news-1539577
https://foxesofleicester.com/2018/05/06/the-nail-in-the-coffin-have-the-foxes-quit-on-puel/
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/...s/leicester-city-players-downed-tools-1536682 (Redknapp, like me, got it wrong about Shakespeare as they actually were upset about that - again, not widely discussed with other clubs.)
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/19/leicester-city-players-craig-shakespeare-sacked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39079683
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/leicester-city-sacking-claudio-ranieri-1251817
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/591015/Claudio-Ranieri-Nigel-Pearson-Leicester-news
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-s...-players-not-behind-his-sacking-idUKKBN17C2GL

Obviously all speculation but you rarely see this in one manager leaving, let alone two and likely soon to be three. Still, you have shot yourself apparently so I am talking to myself.

Lol! Sorry for my pissy reply. I hadn't done any research. My 'reasoning' was this. I can see a bunch of players conspiring to get a manager the boot, if there was a good reason. The only one that makes sense is that the manager is behaving like a cock and damaging the prospects of the team. I can believe this is what happened at Chelsea under Mourinho. He is a bully and picks on individuals to the detriment of the team, and he was going bonkers a while back (I suspect he suffers from mental health issues...).

In Leicester's case, to contend the players have conspired to get 2 or 3 managers sacked by underperforming dosn't make much sense to me - unless it is the case that the old bloke had nothing to do with the PL win and that the players set up to run the show themselves and now think the know it all. Yes I had heard that rumour. But I don't buy it. They don't seem bright enough. And having shat on the old man, why back then sabotage Shakespear? And what about Puel? Are they just bored with him? If they were so clever they won the PL all by themselves you'd think they could have just carried on, kidding whichever manager was in charge, and winning and winnning, all lovely, nudge and wink.

Nah! I don't buy it. There are always one or two trouble makers, or clever clogs who think theu know it all, but they never exert enough influence over several seasons to dictate all the play....players want to win and it would take one hell of a massive prat of a manager to rub enough of them up the wrong way to result in all out mutiny (see Mourinho....).

Anyway I will look at you links later. :cheers:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Majority of Leicester fans think they should be a Top Six team or at least targeting Arsenal's place.

For their sake, I hope they don't do a Charlton, with the '9th place every year is not good enough' syndrome.

Curbishley left and it was all downhill from there.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think Leicester simply got carried away with themselves. For one miraculous season, everything clicked. Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater, Vardy, Morgan, Huth and the rest all had the seasons of their lives at the same time, they avoided injuries, and other potential title-winners messed up and they were champions. It was the equivalent of Wimbledon winning the FA Cup, only more so.

But instead of accepting this as a gift from the footballing Gods and recognising (as Claudio Ranieri did) that avoiding relegation would still be their main aim every season, some people at and around the Walkers Stadium or whatever it was called seemed to believe they were then entitled to think of themselves as a 'big club'. The Champions League money is gone, so are Kante and Drinkwater, and Mahrez will be gone soon too. I'm pretty sure they won't be fighting for a place in the Europa League next season.

In other news, Reading were planning a lap of appreciation after their last home game of the season, but after they lost 4-0 to Ipswich there were more stewards than fans inside the Biscuit Bowl so they didn't bother.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
After Leicester won the Prem they then had a season in the Champions League which reinforces this idea of having moved the club up a level. They then proceeded to do well in that and somehow managed to hang on to Vardy and Mahrez, again suggesting they've moved it up a level. The real problem is that they haven't managed to bring in new X factor players, and Mahrez wants to leave.

If he goes they could easily have season like Southampton have just had. The key is how they spend the money they get for him.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Lol! Sorry for my pissy reply. I hadn't done any research. My 'reasoning' was this. I can see a bunch of players conspiring to get a manager the boot, if there was a good reason. The only one that makes sense is that the manager is behaving like a cock and damaging the prospects of the team. I can believe this is what happened at Chelsea under Mourinho. He is a bully and picks on individuals to the detriment of the team, and he was going bonkers a while back (I suspect he suffers from mental health issues...).

In Leicester's case, to contend the players have conspired to get 2 or 3 managers sacked by underperforming dosn't make much sense to me - unless it is the case that the old bloke had nothing to do with the PL win and that the players set up to run the show themselves and now think the know it all. Yes I had heard that rumour. But I don't buy it. They don't seem bright enough. And having shat on the old man, why back then sabotage Shakespear? And what about Puel? Are they just bored with him? If they were so clever they won the PL all by themselves you'd think they could have just carried on, kidding whichever manager was in charge, and winning and winnning, all lovely, nudge and wink.

Nah! I don't buy it. There are always one or two trouble makers, or clever clogs who think theu know it all, but they never exert enough influence over several seasons to dictate all the play....players want to win and it would take one hell of a massive prat of a manager to rub enough of them up the wrong way to result in all out mutiny (see Mourinho....).

I think we will have to agree to differ because it seems likely to me that the players are as guilty as the fans, if not more so, of thinking they are better than they are and I am a subscriber to the "no smoke without fire when there is a lot of smoke" theory.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Agree with this. I can only think of one English club where there was a group of players, who'd been there so long, were successful, loved by the fans and had the ear of the owner; over managers who came and went - which was Chelsea in the John Terry era.

The Thai owner and noisy rump of fans at Leicester have got ahead of themselves. In essence, they are medium sized club, with a modest catchment area.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's important how you finish a season and Puel is coming under increasing pressure. We'd be above them if Murray had scored that pen.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think Leicester simply got carried away with themselves. For one miraculous season, everything clicked. Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater, Vardy, Morgan, Huth and the rest all had the seasons of their lives at the same time, they avoided injuries, and other potential title-winners messed up and they were champions. It was the equivalent of Wimbledon winning the FA Cup, only more so.

But instead of accepting this as a gift from the footballing Gods and recognising (as Claudio Ranieri did) that avoiding relegation would still be their main aim every season, some people at and around the Walkers Stadium or whatever it was called seemed to believe they were then entitled to think of themselves as a 'big club'. The Champions League money is gone, so are Kante and Drinkwater, and Mahrez will be gone soon too. I'm pretty sure they won't be fighting for a place in the Europa League next season.

In other news, Reading were planning a lap of appreciation after their last home game of the season, but after they lost 4-0 to Ipswich there were more stewards than fans inside the Biscuit Bowl so they didn't bother.

I work with a Leicester season ticket holder and from what I can gather they're frustrated with Puel's style of football and think they should be getting more out of Vardy and Mahrez given their quality. I'd love to think we would just accept survival but actually I think football fans are much the same really, the idea that different sets of fans behave differently to others is greatly exaggerated. Even The Argus today is talking about how we need to score more away goals next season to improve. Everyone always wants to get better, rather than same again. If we stay up for another 2/3 seasons with Hughton I'm convinced it's only a matter of time before people start to say we need a more expansive manager.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
True but we hadn't experienced the pain of losing the Goldstone and the long fight for Falmer. I think a large number of our fans will always remember and therefore temper their expectations. I hope.

We have the start of a new generation who have no real idea what the club has been through, but until they out-number the older ones, the fans will, mostly, continue to be grateful the club *exists*, never mind exists in the PL.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We have the start of a new generation who have no real idea what the club has been through, but until they out-number the older ones, the fans will, mostly, continue to be grateful the club *exists*, never mind exists in the PL.
I agree, and it's our job to educate them. I have two boys, well almost young men now, and I have bored them silly with our history lol!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I agree, and it's our job to educate them. I have two boys, well almost young men now, and I have bored them silly with our history lol!

_and_son is only 14 and has been "lectured" at length about why we are so lucky to have the club we have. He never got to sit on a stand made of scaffolding poles in front of a running track but he does hear what it was like!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
_and_son is only 14 and has been "lectured" at length about why we are so lucky to have the club we have. He never got to sit on a stand made of scaffolding poles in front of a running track But he does hear what it was like!
Haha, your post makes all the health and safety freaks shudder!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Back to the thread title - why did they have a "lap of appreciation" on Saturday anyway ? They're at home to Arsenal tonight, so no wonder nobody bothered hanging back for that when it wasn't even their last home game of the season.

Are they going to do it all again tonight ??

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Back to the thread title - why did they have a "lap of appreciation" on Saturday anyway ? They're at home to Arsenal tonight, so no wonder nobody bothered hanging back for that when it wasn't even their last home game of the season.

Are they going to do it all again tonight ??

My thoughts exactly. If we had done the same with one game to go, I wouldn't have hung around.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Tangentially, was anyone else surprised no Man U fans stayed around for Albion's lap of appreciation? I know we're not their team, but most years there are a good chunk of away fans that stay and applaud the players out of respect, but the united end was completely empty.

Because they're not used to losing to "Teams Like Brighton"

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Slightly off topic ..did anyone else see the Blackburn promotion reception..I think at the town hall ..with what looked like only a couple of hundred supporters ..i’m Guessing there is still a lot of I’ll feeling against the owners

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here