Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] West Brom, Darren Moore

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
Whilst I have no particular affinity to West Brom, I am rather hoping that the extraordinary sequence of events needed for them to stay up becomes a reality.

The reason is Darren Moore.

As a student in Bradford the mid to late nineties I was a season ticket holder at Valley Parade. It was, and still is, a great club with ludicrously cheap season tickets. When they were promoted to the prem in 99/2000 my season ticket was £180!!!

Anyway, the central defensive kingpin in their promotion and survival was the unit that is Darren Moore.

As a footy obsessed student (with nothing better to do on a Tuesday morning) I sometimes went and watched the team train at Apperley Bridge in Bradford. Every time I went, Darren would always put in extra sessions, practicing balls through the inside forward channels. I then saw Bradford score goals as a direct result of that extra training.

For that reason I admired him and try to emulate that kind of behaviour ( with many notable failures!)

18 years on and he is stringing together an unbelievable string of results despite not being Alan Pardew, Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce or Mark Hughes. Instead he is a passionate BAME coach who is showing that you don’t have to be on the prem manager merry-go-round to be successful.

What teams (other than BHA) have you wanted to succeed/survive based on a character within that team that you admire?

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
"Big Dave" Darren Moore was a top player and a natural popular leader - I am not completely surprised by the WBA improvement.

They must be kicking themselves for not sacking Pardew sooner.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Holloway’s Blackpool Team were a lot of fun and deserved a second season in the top flight. Sad what happened to the club afterwards.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
WBA was my least favourite away day by a mile. I'd be happy if I never returned there.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the job Darren Moore has done from a neutrals perspective. He's been great, so much better than the old PL manager guard still finding jobs.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Every great result makes Pardew look like the useless tosser he really is. Players clearly believe in him.

Was hilarious watching Soccer Saturday and Le Tissier and Jeff slagging off his substitutions, and then having to eat huge chunks of humble pie when they scored.

Deserves the job full-time regardless of the eventual outcome.

larus

Whilst I have no particular affinity to West Brom, I am rather hoping that the extraordinary sequence of events needed for them to stay up becomes a reality.

The reason is Darren Moore.

The sequence of events required is not that extraordinary now really.

Everton should the Saints at home.
Swansea v Saints - Draw.

Table is then
Swans 34 -26 GD
Saints 33 -20 (min) GD
WBA 31 -23 GD

Then.
Swans lose to Stoke
Saints lose to Man C
WBA beat the scum.

The key game is Swans v Saints.

It would be amusing, as 99% of people had written them off weeks ago.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
WBA was my least favourite away day by a mile. I'd be happy if I never returned there.

That's not to say I don't appreciate the job Darren Moore has done from a neutrals perspective. He's been great, so much better than the old PL manager guard still finding jobs.

Totally disagree, best away I've done this year (I've done all of them)

Proper fans, proper pub, proper curry, proper football

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Totally disagree, best away I've done this year (I've done all of them)

Proper fans, proper pub, proper curry, proper football

Not the best concourse in the away end but a good choice of drinks, they also had spirits on sale.
The fan park next to the ground was also very good.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Kicking themselves for employing him in the first place more like.

Everyone in football apart from the West Brom board knew exactly what they were getting and exactly what would happen with that idiot in charge.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
"Big Dave" Darren Moore was a top player and a natural popular leader - I am not completely surprised by the WBA improvement.

Re: Pardew, I said exactly this to a pal at work who is a Stains fan, if they had sacked him sooner the Spurs result could have been the result that guaranteed them Premiership football.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Done a fantastic job so far.

Absolutely delighted that rabble of shit are going down. This is where Moore will earn his crust when his team is asset stripped.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Opposite for me. Ugly area, pub a total dive, concourse cramped and an awful game of football.

Then drink in one of the abundance of pubs in central Birmingham and get to the ground for kick off :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here