Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 'Happy Birthday Mr President'

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be fair though, there WERE no answers.
Indeed not, but Knight wasn't forthcoming with that. He was happy to continue running the club in his own way surrounded by his own people while the rest of us were kept in the dark as to the club's future. Nervous times. It smacked of clinging onto power when it was obvious he had no answer to how a stadium was going to be built.

These were unparalleled times and there was no way the banks were lending money to anyone for anything at all, they were just focusing on not going under. We were in a uniquely fortunate position to have a massive fan with very deep pockets else we would have been scrabbling around for years following the planning permission to scrape together a deal for the cash to build the stadium, doubtless with all manner of grim strings attached.

How many clubs are lucky enough to have both a DK and TB fighting their corner to deliver a world-class stadium?
Hell yes, all of that is absolutely true - and consequently they will both be club legends forever in my eyes (and indeed should be for everyone connected with the club), but my only point here really is that despite their legendary status, both sides have character flaws and they are being laid bare for all to see, unfortunately.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Indeed not, but Knight wasn't forthcoming with that. He was happy to continue running the club in his own way surrounded by his own people while the rest of us were kept in the dark as to the club's future. Nervous times. It smacked of clinging onto power when it was obvious he had no answer to how a stadium was going to be built.

Hell yes, all of that is absolutely true - and consequently they will both be club legends forever in my eyes (and indeed should be for everyone connected with the club), but my only point here really is that despite their legendary status, both sides have character flaws and they are being laid bare for all to see, unfortunately.

I do have some sympathy for Dick's position at the time. Martin Perry admitted that Tony Bloom was always going to underwrite the stadium if the finance failed, but DK wasn't at liberty to admit that, but didn't want the planning permission to fail because LDC would've seized on any weakness to object. He had to keep 'bluffing' the finance was in place.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here